xDuoo X2 - small lossless player with microSD and OLED!
Apr 3, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #603 of 2,087
Decided to open it up... because that backplate was just asking for it :)
As I once read somewhere... 2 chips were indeed sanded to prevent identification.
The battery is: 3.7V 500mah (the product website noted 4.2V)

That's probably the cutest screwdriver I've ever seen! =D

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #605 of 2,087
I just noticed when checking Tennmak's site on Aliexpress, that they are now selling Version 5.0 which I assume has the latest Firmware 5.0 and also has a serial number printed in the back.  Does anyone know if there are any other upgrades in this latest version 5.0 compared to previous versions (i.e. any changes to the hardware?).  Or would it be exactly the same as having a previous version and then updating the firmware to V5.0?
I have an iPod Touch (2nd generation) and a Sansa Clip+ and am happy with both.  But I can't resist ordering the XDuoo just to try it out- just to see if there is any improvement at all in sound quality over the iPod Touch and Clip+.  Also, I'm wondering if I should delay my purchase of the XDuoo to ensure that they've worked out all the bugs (since it's a new product), or should I just purchase it now and just do the firmware upgrades as they come along?

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #606 of 2,087
  I just noticed when checking Tennmak's site on Aliexpress, that they are now selling Version 5.0 which I assume has the latest Firmware 5.0 and also has a serial number printed in the back.  Does anyone know if there are any other upgrades in this latest version 5.0 compared to previous versions (i.e. any changes to the hardware?).  Or would it be exactly the same as having a previous version and then updating the firmware to V5.0?
I have an iPod Touch (2nd generation) and a Sansa Clip+ and am happy with both.  But I can't resist ordering the XDuoo just to try it out- just to see if there is any improvement at all in sound quality over the iPod Touch and Clip+.  Also, I'm wondering if I should delay my purchase of the XDuoo to ensure that they've worked out all the bugs (since it's a new product), or should I just purchase it now and just do the firmware upgrades as they come along?

I think you should order one!

The "bugs and quirks" will never be perfectly fixed  with these cheaper china stuff. Bang for the buck yes, but often it comes with a downside and that downside is quality controll and longivity. 

Take V-sonic for example. Makes very good iems for a very good pricepoint. But the buildquality is never flawless, and there are reports of DOA units as well as issues with cables. This also goes for Havi who sells the magnificent B3, also with the same issues. 

There is allways a risk that you get one of the bad units. However, i buy my china stuff from penon, and if there is a problem. All i have to do is wait for another unit. I trust them to handle it for me..Find a seller who you can trust if that feels better for you. Penonaudio is one of those sellers but there is a lot of bogus sellers on aliexpress and ebay.

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #607 of 2,087
Thanks for your reply Arvan.  How many days after the receiving of the goods can they still be returned to Penon Audio if it turns out to be a defective unit (and who pays for the return shipping costs)?
I just hope that the XDuoo X2 will last as long as my Clip+.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #608 of 2,087
  Thanks for your reply Arvan.  How many days after the receiving of the goods can they still be returned to Penon Audio if it turns out to be a defective unit (and who pays for the return shipping costs)?
I just hope that the XDuoo X2 will last as long as my Clip+.

They have 1 year warranty, you pay the return shipping if something goes wrong. In the case of the X2 it can´t be much.. I shipped back a PAv2 amplifier to canada from Sweden and it was about 9usd. This should be cheaper to send back. 

I have had issues with an amp/dac from penon but instead of sending it back i made a deal with a discount on a new item insted. So they are flexible. 

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #609 of 2,087
  I have an iPod Touch (2nd generation) and a Sansa Clip+ and am happy with both.  But I can't resist ordering the XDuoo just to try it out- just to see if there is any improvement at all in sound quality over the iPod Touch and Clip+. 

I realize I am in the distinct minority in this thread, so I'll give you my perspective on the X2 for a little balance.  In short, IMO the X2 is a piece of junk in a nice case. 

Yes, the player does put out a lot of power - and that's the only positive thing you can really say about it.  It will drive full size headphones (but not hard to drive high impedance models) without the need for an amp.  That is unique for a $55 player.  The downside of that, however, is that it's higher output impedance makes it very very noisy with IEMs.  I'm surprised that only a couple of people in a 41 page thread have even mentioned the noise issue.

Does it sound better than a Clip+ running Rockbox?  If you're listening to headphones both players can drive, IMO absolutely not. Yes, the Clips are a little rolled off at both frequency extremes, but that's a small price to pay for their excellent neutrality.  The X2 is definitely a more colored sounding unit, and I'll leave it at that.

And then there's the UI.  If you're used to a Clip with Rockbox, I'll give you exactly 3 minutes with the X2 before you throw it against the closest wall.  It's one of the worst UIs I've ever experienced, (and I didn't even mind the Ruizu UI).  It's as if no thought whatsoever was put into it.  It's counterintuitive and frustrating to use. Life's too short to be bothered. 

The internal build quality (at least from the photos I've seen of the early batch units) is quite poor as well.  I haven't had a reliability issue with mine (barely use it though), but no surprise people hvae reported problems. 

So bottom line, unless you are in the unique position of needing a very inexpensive small DAP with a lot of power to drive full sized headphones, and you are a bit sadistic and dont mind a horrible UI, I would avoid the X2 like the black plague.  Stick with your Clip, save some money and maybe invest in a DX50 or wait to see if the X3ii is the one FiiO finally gets right...

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #610 of 2,087

I realize I am in the distinct minority in this thread, so I'll give you my perspective on the X2 for a little balance.  In short, IMO the X2 is a piece of junk in a nice case. 

Yes, the player does put out a lot of power - and that's the only positive thing you can really say about it.  It will drive full size headphones (but not hard to drive high impedance models) without the need for an amp.  That is unique for a $55 player.  The downside of that, however, is that it's higher output impedance makes it very very noisy with IEMs.  I'm surprised that only a couple of people in a 41 page thread have even mentioned the noise issue.

Does it sound better than a Clip+ running Rockbox?  If you're listening to headphones both players can drive, IMO absolutely not. Yes, the Clips are a little rolled off at both frequency extremes, but that's a small price to pay for their excellent neutrality.  The X2 is definitely a more colored sounding unit, and I'll leave it at that.

And then there's the UI.  If you're used to a Clip with Rockbox, I'll give you exactly 3 minutes with the X2 before you throw it against the closest wall.  It's one of the worst UIs I've ever experienced, (and I didn't even mind the Ruizu UI).  It's as if no thought whatsoever was put into it.  It's counterintuitive and frustrating to use. Life's too short to be bothered. 

The internal build quality (at least from the photos I've seen of the early batch units) is quite poor as well.  I haven't had a reliability issue with mine (barely use it though), but no surprise people hvae reported problems. 

So bottom line, unless you are in the unique position of needing a very inexpensive small DAP with a lot of power to drive full sized headphones, and you are a bit sadistic and dont mind a horrible UI, I would avoid the X2 like the black plague.  Stick with your Clip, save some money and maybe invest in a DX50 or wait to see if the X3ii is the one FiiO finally gets right...

I agree with you on this. However in my case, i bought one with high hopes. And it does drive full sized cans very nicely. What i was going to use it for was iems, and for that i had to dig up my clip since the noise floor is to high. I don´t regret buying it since i will have use for it from time to time. But the clip is a better option. ive had 3 clips and besides bad batteries i had no issues with them. Rockboxed or not. 

If you really need the power, id say it´s a dap to consider. If you don´t and are on a budget go for a clip with rockbox support.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #612 of 2,087

Well, that's a bit harsh. 
biggrin.gif

The x23 definitely has issues though, especially a synergy issue. And that issue can't really be generalized to all iems coz it sounds fine with a lot of them. But there is the occasional one that is so bad it's not funny like with my Noble 6, which to say "sounds like crap" is putting it mildly and that's not counting the severe channel imbalance. Personally, if I was basing my opinion on that exact combo I would say the X2 is extremely warm, veiled, hissy and imbalanced but that wouldn't be the truth.
With most of my iems it sounds fine and a lot of combos like with the vsd5 are easily better than with the clip (and I mean easily - like 5 seconds with the x2 after the clip are enough), which sounds congested and compressed in comparison.
As far as the UI goes, it's nothing special but definitely not throw-it--against-the-wall bad. In fact I've been closer to throwing at it my rockboxed clip on more than one occasion.
In the end, as with any extremely low budget DAP preference, the gear owned and some luck for the BQ and the synergy will play a big part on whether one likes it or not. It is a very cheap DAP, so I doubt anyone is buying it for expensive multi-driver iems that usually have steep impedance curves and don't agree with just any output impedance and most likely won't play well with the x2. And as I said - it's a cheap DAP, so most people interested in it will be people with sub-$100 iems and headphones, so saving up for ibasso or mid-fi fiio is not the best recommendation for them, so clip, x2 and other generic average consumer DAPs will be their choice.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #613 of 2,087
Yes that is true, but if i am picky, the x2 has hearable noise even with full sized cans. German maestro 8.35D, sony zx700, philips uptown, aiaiai tma-1 for example. It´s not disturbing really but it´s there. 

VSD5 you say, for me the X2 has way to much noise to use with this iem...way to much.

Apr 6, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #615 of 2,087
X2 sounds better than Clip+ - Sansa have bigger roll off on both ends (very anemic). Sound in xDuoo is definitely more detailed and spacious. And pretty natural on fw 5.0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back