Xduoo Amplifiers
Sep 6, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #1,741 of 1,988
Shenzhen Audio have the TA20+ for sale on their website at USD499.
It was on Zeos’ desk for his Seeaudio Neko review. Guessing the noise floor must be decently low. Hopefully we’ll get some reviews soon. The ta-22 has more power, a DAC, and it’s slightly cheaper. I’m expecting this to be a step up in SQ for that price

Sep 11, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #1,742 of 1,988
I placed an order for the TA-20 plus just now.
Some backstory: I was actually going to sell my Utopia OG's. Had them boxed up ready to go at a moment's notice. I wanted to upgrade some cabling in the chain, but decided to listen to them one more time from a balanced amplifier. I have a mt604 collecting dust and a pair of mogami xlr's, so I took the Utopia's out of the box plugged in the mt604's and listened to some tracks. Beautiful, smooth, melodic is what immediately came to mind, the treble information was on par with much more expensive amplifiers... I had the original ta-20's as well, but it developed a channel imbalance, one side was noticeably lower than the other. I'm hoping there's an improvement in QC with the new plus model, because I also loved the sound from the original ta-20's. Well, xduoo, you have stopped me from selling my Utopia's for awhile longer. Guess I should say thank you.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #1,743 of 1,988
I placed an order for the TA-20 plus just now.
Some backstory: I was actually going to sell my Utopia OG's. Had them boxed up ready to go at a moment's notice. I wanted to upgrade some cabling in the chain, but decided to listen to them one more time from a balanced amplifier. I have a mt604 collecting dust and a pair of mogami xlr's, so I took the Utopia's out of the box plugged in the mt604's and listened to some tracks. Beautiful, smooth, melodic is what immediately came to mind, the treble information was on par with much more expensive amplifiers... I had the original ta-20's as well, but it developed a channel imbalance, one side was noticeably lower than the other. I'm hoping there's an improvement in QC with the new plus model, because I also loved the sound from the original ta-20's. Well, xduoo, you have stopped me from selling my Utopia's for awhile longer. Guess I should say thank you.
Will be interested in your take on the ta-20plus. Seems to be a solid upgrade all around from the ta-20 (except for power output).

Sep 11, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #1,744 of 1,988
Will be interested in your take on the ta-20plus. Seems to be a solid upgrade all around from the ta-20 (except for power output).
Yeah, interesting thing is that if you scroll down on product details the plus' xlr has slightly higher output than the original ta-20. 2600mw vs 2000 mw. The weight difference is also drastic. 9.4lbs from the plus and 3.4lbs for the original. I'm hoping that extra weight means more and better components. Can't wait to share impressions once I get it.

Sep 12, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #1,745 of 1,988
My only issue with the MT-604 is that for sensitive headphones like the Focal Utopia, it was effectively unusable without a pre-amp. It was deafening at the lowest volume levels. With a Topping A90 in the chain as a pre, it is lovely. I'm hoping the TA20+ would not require a pre.

Sep 12, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #1,746 of 1,988
My only issue with the MT-604 is that for sensitive headphones like the Focal Utopia, it was effectively unusable without a pre-amp. It was deafening at the lowest volume levels. With a Topping A90 in the chain as a pre, it is lovely. I'm hoping the TA20+ would not require a pre.
I don't like the popping noise when inserting the xlr when the amp is on. I plug in the headphones first now before turning on the amp and unplug before turning them off. I can only barely move the volume knobs before it gets too loud, but it sounds great.

Sep 16, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #1,747 of 1,988
Really liking the sound so far from the ta-20 plus. Synergizes really well with the hd650 and Utopia's.

Attachments

• IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Sep 20, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #1,750 of 1,988
Really liking the sound so far from the ta-20 plus. Synergizes really well with the hd650 and Utopia's.
Got mine going today.
Initial impression is good. More refined than the TA-20.
I am using well used Amperex Bugle Boy tubes swapped from my TA20 and fed from Denafrips T+16 and Heddphone1.
Previously using Denafrips Artemis: that has more base punch and a cooler presentation but much less headroom with the Heddphone. The Artemis is at full stretch with them. The Artemis shines with the Sennheiser HD800S.
Shall give some time to burn in the TA-20+.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #1,751 of 1,988
Got mine going today.
Initial impression is good. More refined than the TA-20.
I am using well used Amperex Bugle Boy tubes swapped from my TA20 and fed from Denafrips T+16 and Heddphone1.
Previously using Denafrips Artemis: that has more base punch and a cooler presentation but much less headroom with the Heddphone. The Artemis is at full stretch with them. The Artemis shines with the Sennheiser HD800S.
Shall give some time to burn in the TA-20+.
I had put in a pair of nos Mullard 12au7's and just changed the rectifier for a nos 1972 Mullard GZ30. The tube combo was slightly veiled with the hd650's. I suspect it's the mullard 12au7 driver tubes. Gives a creamy mid range at the cost of less delineation and separation between notes. I just placed an order for the apos 12au7 tubes. Curious to see what that will do. Lachlan just did a review on the apos tubes and it's character described seems to be in line with my preferences. As a reference, I did like the sound of the mt604 in its stock form. Going to put back the stock ta20 plus tubes to see if I can get a little bit more resolution.

I would have loved to try the Artemis. Seems like a "dark horse" amplifier.

Just going to add to this post:
The stock tubes did give it better clarity over the mullard 12au7's, but the stock tubes had this "pressure behind my ears" type feeling. Closed in and claustrophobic, but very clear sounding. Maybe the stock tubes need some more burn in.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #1,754 of 1,988
I had put in a pair of nos Mullard 12au7's and just changed the rectifier for a nos 1972 Mullard GZ30. The tube combo was slightly veiled with the hd650's. I suspect it's the mullard 12au7 driver tubes. Gives a creamy mid range at the cost of less delineation and separation between notes. I just placed an order for the apos 12au7 tubes. Curious to see what that will do. Lachlan just did a review on the apos tubes and it's character described seems to be in line with my preferences. As a reference, I did like the sound of the mt604 in its stock form. Going to put back the stock ta20 plus tubes to see if I can get a little bit more resolution.

I would have loved to try the Artemis. Seems like a "dark horse" amplifier.

Just going to add to this post:
The stock tubes did give it better clarity over the mullard 12au7's, but the stock tubes had this "pressure behind my ears" type feeling. Closed in and claustrophobic, but very clear sounding. Maybe the stock tubes need some more burn in.
Did you give the stock tubes time to burn in? People say about 50 hours.
I had the same experience with the Amperex: beautiful velvet middle but soft edged and veiled in treble. The stock tubes give a clearer more hard edged sound.

Sep 23, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #1,755 of 1,988
Did you give the stock tubes time to burn in? People say about 50 hours.
I had the same experience with the Amperex: beautiful velvet middle but soft edged and veiled in treble. The stock tubes give a clearer more hard edged sound.
It’s close to that now. The stock tubes will still be in there until the apos tubes arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back