Xduoo Amplifiers
Jul 18, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #1,711 of 1,989
TA-26 works very well with 300 ohm (nominal impedance) headphones such as Senn HD600. With Kennerton Magni, unlikely. [Try Schiit Valhalla 2: output impedance is 5.7 ohms / 19.0 ohms in low / high gain. It has been great for me with Kennerton GH50 JM Edition.]
Thanks. I used to have Lyr 3 and like Schiit products. Haven't got the funds right now to get a Schiit again... But yeah, I'm aware that sub 250-300 ohms might be pushing it. Was just wondering if anyone's actually tried with these or similar to drive headphones and how they fared.

Plus, from the Lyr, I have a good selection of 6SN7!

Does there even exist a reasonably priced OTL that's capable of driving lower impedance phones, I guess not due to the nature of them but can anyone shed light?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #1,712 of 1,989
Has anyone tried the TA-26/26S with any dynamic headphones around 32-50 ish ohms? Would like to get one for the fairly easy to drive Kennerton Magni (33 ohms).

Would like to get a reasonably priced OTL but know they're for high impedance on the whole.
Pretty sure my 50 ohm T60rp Argons are out the question!

I have with 60 ohm headphones, my Thieaudio ghost, nothing below that. The amp is a nuclear powerplant and has no issues providing oodles of volts or amps, whatever you happen to need. Whether or not you'll be thrilled with the frequency response idk. I thought the ghosts were good on it though.

Jul 18, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #1,713 of 1,989
I have with 60 ohm headphones, my Thieaudio ghost, nothing below that. The amp is a nuclear powerplant and has no issues providing oodles of volts or amps, whatever you happen to need. Whether or not you'll be thrilled with the frequency response idk. I thought the ghosts were good on it though.
Ahh ok, cheers for this. Maybe I'll take a wee punt at some point on TA26/S then. Could be worth a try if they're as easy to drive as reported... (with Magni, although I'm yet to recieve the Magni... yet)

Jul 18, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #1,715 of 1,989
Ah yes, conveniently I also have a Magni 3+ and yeah I am absolutely not lacking for power on the TA-26 compared to that.
Oh no!! I don't mean Schiit Magni - I was asking if this Xduoo TA 26/S has enough power to drive KENNERTON Magni Headphones at 33 ohm... Have we got our wires crossed!? I know the Schiit products have plenty of power!!

Basically, I'm asking if there's this, the TA 26/S, or any other OTL amp powerful enough at 33-50 ohms to drive such impedance headphones... dynamic drivers, I don't hold out hopes of driving my Argons (planar)

Jul 18, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #1,716 of 1,989
Sorry, so did you mean you have the TA 26/S that drives the Ghosts, or the Schiit Magni drives them with ease?? Cheers

#confused!!!

Is/are hybrids my only option for enough power?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #1,717 of 1,989
Sorry, so did you mean you have the TA 26/S that drives the Ghosts, or the Schiit Magni drives them with ease?? Cheers

#confused!!!

Is/are hybrids my only option for enough power?

Both! The ghosts have no problem being driven by either one whatsoever. In fact I have my preamp setting on Peace set to -20db for my Ghost+Tube setting because I wanted the knob to be less sensitive!

Jul 18, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #1,718 of 1,989
Both! The ghosts have no problem being driven by either one whatsoever. In fact I have my preamp setting on Peace set to -20db for my Ghost+Tube setting because I wanted the knob to be less sensitive!
Cool, thanks... I'm now looking into transformer coupled tube amps - WooAudio WA6 to be precise!! It'll take some saving though haha

UFFF, Edit: Just come across Quicksilver Headphone amp... Niiice.
EDIT 2: Have settled on the Tor Audio - Nick amp.

Sorry guys, I'll leave you alone... for now. Time to get back on topic!!!

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #1,719 of 1,989
Just got my MT-604 today that replaced my TA-20 that stopped working and I know it's supposedly a downgrade but from what I'm hearing so far they sound very similar imo. Not a huge fan of the dual volume nobs but I know why they did it and other than that I'm very happy with the unit so far. SQ is about the same as the TA-20 from what I can tell and I have some tubes I bought but the stock ones sound fine so I'm not even going to mess with changing them at the moment. I'm glad I have a tube amp again because I really enjoy how they make my dynamic driver headphones sound and I'm not even going to use my planar's with it because I just don't see the need.

Jul 22, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #1,720 of 1,989
I recently got the TA-20 from a recommendation to pair with my HD800S via Mojo 2 as DAC.

Will using the unbalanced RCA input from the Mojo 2 degrade the quality of the balanced output to the HD800S? I'm also using a 4.4mm->XLR adapter since the updated HD800S doesn't include the XLR anymore.

I always hear some static and interference running games even at medium listening levels, which is kind of annoying (it starts around volume level of 60 for me). Anyway to work around this?

Thanks all :)

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #1,722 of 1,989
Thanks. I used to have Lyr 3 and like Schiit products. Haven't got the funds right now to get a Schiit again... But yeah, I'm aware that sub 250-300 ohms might be pushing it. Was just wondering if anyone's actually tried with these or similar to drive headphones and how they fared.

Plus, from the Lyr, I have a good selection of 6SN7!

Does there even exist a reasonably priced OTL that's capable of driving lower impedance phones, I guess not due to the nature of them but can anyone shed light?
It’s hard to find tube amps that work well with lower Impedance phone and especially iems. The TA20 wasn’t too bad with iem due to hybrid design. Other options are the iFi iematch or for a bit more money you can get a custom made one.

I currently using a Custom passive attenuator -24dB (output 1.7ohm load 25ohm) that works great. Mine is XLR to 4.4.
att.jpeg

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/passive-filters/

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #1,723 of 1,989
I recently got the TA-20 from a recommendation to pair with my HD800S via Mojo 2 as DAC.

Will using the unbalanced RCA input from the Mojo 2 degrade the quality of the balanced output to the HD800S? I'm also using a 4.4mm->XLR adapter since the updated HD800S doesn't include the XLR anymore.

I always hear some static and interference running games even at medium listening levels, which is kind of annoying (it starts around volume level of 60 for me). Anyway to work around this?

Thanks all :)
any inputs on this?

I did change the 3.5mm->RCA cable to a better shielded one which made a HUGE difference in the noise floor. Still wondering whether it's necessary to use also a balanced input to get the most benefits out of a balanced output. I read that balanced cables are primarily reasons to decrease interference, if that's the case if I don't get detectable noise at my current hearing levels, there's no reason to get a DAC that has a balanced output too right?

Jul 28, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #1,724 of 1,989
After having the MT-604 for about a week now I've had a chance to listen with most of the headphones I use on a regular basis and I thought they all sounded good except for headphones I would consider very warm sounding like my LDC-2C and Nightowl. I don't think they sounded bad just too warm for my liking, and while I thought my planars wouldn't sound that good with this amp I found that the Arya, Ananda, and Sundara all sounded quite nice with the Arya sounding the best imo.

All in all I'm very happy with how the amp sounds and at only $143 when I bought it I think it's one of the better deals for a good hybrid tube amp.

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #1,725 of 1,989
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back