Xduoo Amplifiers
Oct 26, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #1,441 of 1,987
I'm back in the audiophile scene after a loooong hiatus. I'm considering the TA-30 as my first tube amp, but I'm worried it isn't 'tube-y' enough. I want the full tube amp experience, can the ta-30 provide that? Part of the reason I'm picking it is because I don't have a DAC. But I could also get a $200 DAC and a TA-26. I'm noticing the ta-30 isn't very popular but the ta-26 is decently popular for some reason I haven't figured out just yet.
I have a TA-30 and I enjoy it, but it doesn't sound like my all-tube Valhalla or HP8Mk2. It doesn't have the midrange bloom those two have but the bass has more impact. If you are looking for an all in one, you might consider a 2nd gen Woo Audio WA7. It was one of the amps I was considering before going with the TA-30.

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #1,442 of 1,987
@roderickvd @dsrk @mayurs
Ahh that makes sense. I definitely want that classic tube sound, I want the full experience with this amp so I'm gonna want a OTL. After days of research and comparing, I decided to go with the Ta-26, as its got the best price and rating at this level. I'm still not sure about tubes yet, I guess researching that will take the rest of the week lol :)

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #1,443 of 1,987
I have a TA-30 and I enjoy it, but it doesn't sound like my all-tube Valhalla or HP8Mk2. It doesn't have the midrange bloom those two have but the bass has more impact. If you are looking for an all in one, you might consider a 2nd gen Woo Audio WA7. It was one of the amps I was considering before going with the TA-30.
How do you like your Valhalla? I was highly considering that one, but what turned me off was the description on their website that says "If you’re expecting syrupy, tubby, euphonically colored tube sound, you’re in for a shock. Valhalla 2 is exceptionally accurate, neutral, and resolving, without being strident or etched". I wanna go all in with my first tube amp so 'exceptionally accurate' isn't what I'm looking for. I want warm and euphonic. What's your feel on the amp?

I was actually looking at the WA7 just yesterday, it is indeed a beautiful piece but I decided to go with a separate DAC(Schiit Modius) and amp(probably ta-26).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #1,444 of 1,987
How do you like your Valhalla? I was highly considering that one, but what turned me off was the description on their website that says "If you’re expecting syrupy, tubby, euphonically colored tube sound, you’re in for a shock. Valhalla 2 is exceptionally accurate, neutral, and resolving, without being strident or etched". I wanna go all in with my first tube amp so 'exceptionally accurate' isn't what I'm looking for. I want warm and euphonic. What's your feel on the amp?

I was actually looking at the WA7 just yesterday, it is indeed a beautiful piece but I decided to go with a separate DAC(Schiit Modius) and amp(probably ta-26).
I think the Valhalla is a very good amp for its price point. It isn't overly euphonic or rolled off in the highs, but it isn't bright at all, even with my Beyers. I think it's great at all kinds of music, not just slower tempo stuff. I have the original version of the Valhalla; the newer version is supposed to be better with lower impedance cans but it's still an OTL and not ideal. Good luck with the TA-26.

Oct 28, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #1,446 of 1,987
Anyone tried the Xduoo MT-604 with Focal Clear and Hifiman Sundara? Would you recommend it?

I use it with Focal Utopias and the sound is excellent rich, detailed, and smooth -- the only caveat is that you really need a pre-amp to control the volume. The power is insane.

Oct 28, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #1,448 of 1,987
What pre-amp are you or would you use?
I use an OG Topping A90. You can use anything with balanced XLR in/out and a volume knob (that way you can set the MT-604's two knobs to one ideal position and never touch them again). Transparency in the amp would likely be an ideal trait, as you want the cleanest signal from the DAC and then use the MT-604's tubes to color the sound, rather than the pre-amp.

Oct 29, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #1,449 of 1,987
I am considering getting a TA-26 but dislike the red knob. Does anyone have suggestions to replace the knob?

The other OTL that I am considering is a Felix Audio Echo 2 at more than twice the price. Aesthetics aside I am not sure if it will be twice as good. It even has worse THD and power. But maybe its capacitors can be rolled?

Suggestions welcome. I will be pairing with high-Z Beyers, a 250 ohm Amiron Home and 600 ohm T1.2.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #1,450 of 1,987
I use an OG Topping A90. You can use anything with balanced XLR in/out and a volume knob (that way you can set the MT-604's two knobs to one ideal position and never touch them again). Transparency in the amp would likely be an ideal trait, as you want the cleanest signal from the DAC and then use the MT-604's tubes to color the sound, rather than the pre-amp.
Thanks. Would this do as pre amp ??: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-...2-spdif-dac-pcm1793-24bit-192khz-p-16738.html.

Oct 29, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #1,451 of 1,987
I am considering getting a TA-26 but dislike the red knob. Does anyone have suggestions to replace the knob?

The other OTL that I am considering is a Felix Audio Echo 2 at more than twice the price. Aesthetics aside I am not sure if it will be twice as good. It even has worse THD and power. But maybe its capacitors can be rolled?

Suggestions welcome. I will be pairing with high-Z Beyers, a 250 ohm Amiron Home and 600 ohm T1.2.
Rolling tubes imo is a very important consideration while choosing a tube amp. Those feliks audio amps sure do sound good but just check how easy is to roll those tubes on the new Echo coz I remember it wasn't so easy or plentiful as what is possible with the Xduoo TA-26. Sound wise I don't think there will be much to choose between.

Oct 29, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #1,452 of 1,987
Oct 29, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #1,454 of 1,987
Can someone please recommend tubes for the xduoo ta-20?

Here’s the tubes I use with the TA20. Last row is my ratings.

RCA/Conn12AU7aGray PlateSide Getter****
Northern Electric12AU7Black PlateCircle***
Amperex12AU7/ECC82Gray PlateCircle****
Pinnacle13D5AGray PlateCircle****
Westinghouse/Conn12AU7Ribbed Black PlateSquare double bar***
Sylvania12BH7aBlack PlateSquare double bar*****
CBS12BH7aShort black plateSquare bar***+
CBS?/Crosley12BH7Short black plateHorizon bent sq****
RCA12BH7aLong Gray PlateThick Circle*****
Hytron12BH7Short black plateCircle*****
Sylvania12bh7aShort gray plateSquare double split bar****
Westinghouse12bh7Short black plateD double bars***+

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #1,455 of 1,987
Here’s the tubes I use with the TA20. Last row is my ratings.

RCA/Conn12AU7aGray PlateSide Getter****
Northern Electric12AU7Black PlateCircle***
Amperex12AU7/ECC82Gray PlateCircle****
Pinnacle13D5AGray PlateCircle****
Westinghouse/Conn12AU7Ribbed Black PlateSquare double bar***
Sylvania12BH7aBlack PlateSquare double bar*****
CBS12BH7aShort black plateSquare bar***+
CBS?/Crosley12BH7Short black plateHorizon bent sq****
RCA12BH7aLong Gray PlateThick Circle*****
Hytron12BH7Short black plateCircle*****
Sylvania12bh7aShort gray plateSquare double split bar****
Westinghouse12bh7Short black plateD double bars***+