xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Jun 5, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #2,177 of 3,839
Only 1 DAC inside the xDSD Gryphon. Higher end models like micro iDSD Signature, iDSD Diablo contain 2 x BurrBrown DAC, while the Pro iDSD Signature contains 4 of them.
Of course there are other differences between the models mentioned than just the number of DACs and even those with same number of DACs will not sound the same.

Volume sync can be disabled in the menu of the device (so regardless of Windows/Android/iOS) with firmware version 1.45.

Jun 5, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #2,178 of 3,839
Only 1 DAC inside the xDSD Gryphon. Higher end models like micro iDSD Signature, iDSD Diablo contain 2 x BurrBrown DAC, while the Pro iDSD Signature contains 4 of them.
Of course there are other differences between the models mentioned than just the number of DACs and even those with same number of DACs will not sound the same.

Volume sync can be disabled in the menu of the device (so regardless of Windows/Android/iOS) with firmware version 1.45.
Thank you for letting me know.

Jun 7, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #2,180 of 3,839
Jun 7, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #2,181 of 3,839
Please do a comparison vs Dethonray Honey,
Thank you,
I have both. The Dethonray Honey sounds much more full in its soundstage and layering. Almost like it is an R2R dac paired with a Tube Amp. The xDSD Gryphon is much more clean and precise. The xDSD is much more powerful, has way more features, and inputs compared to the Honey. The Honey only has a USB input and works best balanced with the Turbo-man Firmware. They are about on the same level of detail though. Basically if you are fine with a balanced only device with a lower power output and one input, then the Honey works for you. But if need the other features and inputs, then get a xDSD.

Jun 7, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #2,182 of 3,839
So doing A/B with hipdac right now. There is a difference but it's more subtle than you'd think. That speaks well of the hipdac and what a value it is. Gryphon is 10% cleaner and has BT, but I found the Xtra space features to diminish the sound. Idsd micro signature is a much better value if you don't need BT. I kinda regret selling mine now.

Jun 7, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #2,183 of 3,839
So doing A/B with hipdac right now. There is a difference but it's more subtle than you'd think. That speaks well of the hipdac and what a value it is. Gryphon is 10% cleaner and has BT, but I found the Xtra space features to diminish the sound. Idsd micro signature is a much better value if you don't need BT. I kinda regret selling mine now.
I take that back. It's the bass II. It seems to boost the lower mids in a weird way.

Jun 8, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #2,185 of 3,839
I take that back. It's the bass II. It seems to boost the lower mids in a weird way.
Have you tried switching the X-Bass II toggle on the back to bass only? Remember X-Bass II has 3 settings: bass only, bass + upper mids (presence), upper mids (presence) only.

Jun 8, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #2,186 of 3,839
Have you tried switching the X-Bass II toggle on the back to bass only? Remember X-Bass II has 3 settings: bass only, bass + upper mids (presence), upper mids (presence) only.
I did. Didn't realize those 2 switches were related. Bass only on the back toggle seems to do the trick wirh bass ii and Xtra space on in the front. Then it sounds pretty good. Still no sig and still not a ton better than the hip dac but it's an improvement

Jun 8, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #2,187 of 3,839
In regard to the XBassII, it's something that can help depending on particular frequency response of the headphones used.
Depending how the deviation to the Harman curve (or your parituclar preference) looks like, a proper EQ might be needed to obtain the desired effect.

However, I still find the function useful to have for generic ballpark adjustements, despite I don't always use it.
For example, on my AudioTechnica MSR7b, the extra bass it brings when setting is on bass only is almost exactly what those headphones need to sound how I want.

The presence feature I find less useful, as the dips in frequency response in the upper mids can vary significantly among headphones and the spectrum boosted may or may not correspond with the dip the headphones have. Then some headphones have too much upper mids, in which situation EQ will be needed.
Nonetheless, still useful to be there.

In regard to HipDac vs Gryphon, they use the same DAC chip, so I won't expect them to sound hugely different in the first place because of this.
The difference is in the DAC implementation and the amplifiers. And of course the Gryphon is a lot more feature packed.
I personally don't like the HipDac because of output power limitations and the fact it doesn't have Bluetooth.
I would rather prefer the old xDSD or the iDSD Signature/Diablo if I were to use it as a dekstop DAC only.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #2,188 of 3,839
Hey guys,

My needs have changed so I revisiting Gryphon. While the idsd signature sounds significantly better, I'm wondering if anyone has compared to their hip dac. Is it a noticeable upgrade in sound? Currently using jipdac strapped to a TCL phone running xenns up... at the gym.

I run the Gryphon at the gym too - cutting the cord and running your IEMS down your back makes a huge difference in practicality alone!

I think there is an iFi-Gaia app on the App Store
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/ifi-gaia/id1577880367
Not sure if it works with the Gryphon or not, since I use Android

Correct, that's how you update the Bluetooth drivers.

search this thread for 'pop'

With last firmware no, it's just a light "click".

We're always working to improve things on the Gryphon with community feedback and reducing that pop to a click was an example :)

Does anyone know this xDSD Gryphon how many Burr Brown Dac inside, 1 or 2 ?
And can i disable CyberSync/Volume Sync with it on Ios, Macbook ?
Thanks

This is correct :)

Jun 8, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #2,189 of 3,839
I run the Gryphon at the gym too - cutting the cord and running your IEMS down your back makes a huge difference in practicality alone!

Correct, that's how you update the Bluetooth drivers.

We're always working to improve things on the Gryphon with community feedback and reducing that pop to a click was an example :)

This is correct :)
I don't find it any more practical than just having a DAP in my pocket. It's roughly the size of the m11. Fortunately, it sounds better than the m11. That was my original intro, and the hipdac handily trumps the m11, and the Gryphon out performs the hip dac by a small margin. Maybe more like 20% than 10%, but it is not 400% better, despite being 400% the price.

Jun 8, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #2,190 of 3,839
I don't find it any more practical than just having a DAP in my pocket. It's roughly the size of the m11. Fortunately, it sounds better than the m11. That was my original intro, and the hipdac handily trumps the m11, and the Gryphon out performs the hip dac by a small margin. Maybe more like 20% than 10%, but it is not 400% better, despite being 400% the price.
That's about right for this hobby. Once you go ultra high end you're paying >100% extra for 5% better, if you're lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back