xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
May 24, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #2,146 of 3,839
PSX_20220524_202801.jpg

I’ve spent the past decade enjoying and exploring the original soundtracks for some of my favorite video games. Plus, a lot of these games have amazing remixes and reimagings, which are worth checking out. Back in the day, I spent the majority of my listening sessions either on YouTube or other media players which utilized heavily compressed mp3 files. Nowadays, a lot of that same music is now available in Hi-Res formats, but it’s exclusive only to Amazon HD. Quite frankly, their platform hasn’t been easy to implement onto my high-end chains, unfortunately. Sure, it’s easy enough to listen through a web-browser, app (via Android), or with the official Windows program, but I’ve never quite gotten bit-perfect playback implemented correctly before. This is a real shame, especially considering how much I’m paying monthly to access “Hi-Res” music.

However, today for the first time, I’ve managed to successfully achieve this daunting task, which has haunted me throughout the years. It was as simple as switching over to iOS… and as hesitant as I’ve been to purchase an iPhone for myself, I’m extremely impressed with how easy it was to get true 192/24bit with the iFi Audio xDSD Gryphon, while using iOS and the Amazon HD Music App. Finally! Gryphon is already a legend in my book for solving a problem that's plagued me for years!!!! That and it sounds OUTSTANDING!

Overall, the Gryphon proved to be an outstanding complement to the new Abyss Diana TC. Bass texture is taut, there's excellent slam, all the mid-range magic I love about Diana TC without any added energy in the highs. I might have a new go-to portable setup for when I’m doing remote work!

May 25, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #2,147 of 3,839
PSX_20220524_202801.jpg

I’ve spent the past decade enjoying and exploring the original soundtracks for some of my favorite video games. Plus, a lot of these games have amazing remixes and reimagings, which are worth checking out. Back in the day, I spent the majority of my listening sessions either on YouTube or other media players which utilized heavily compressed mp3 files. Nowadays, a lot of that same music is now available in Hi-Res formats, but it’s exclusive only to Amazon HD. Quite frankly, their platform hasn’t been easy to implement onto my high-end chains, unfortunately. Sure, it’s easy enough to listen through a web-browser, app (via Android), or with the official Windows program, but I’ve never quite gotten bit-perfect playback implemented correctly before. This is a real shame, especially considering how much I’m paying monthly to access “Hi-Res” music.

However, today for the first time, I’ve managed to successfully achieve this daunting task, which has haunted me throughout the years. It was as simple as switching over to iOS… and as hesitant as I’ve been to purchase an iPhone for myself, I’m extremely impressed with how easy it was to get true 192/24bit with the iFi Audio xDSD Gryphon, while using iOS and the Amazon HD Music App. Finally! Gryphon is already a legend in my book for solving a problem that's plagued me for years!!!! That and it sounds OUTSTANDING!

Overall, the Gryphon proved to be an outstanding complement to the new Abyss Diana TC. Bass texture is taut, there's excellent slam, all the mid-range magic I love about Diana TC without any added energy in the highs. I might have a new go-to portable setup for when I’m doing remote work!
Ulala, thank you very much. It's been a while since I had a listen to these cans, but it's excellent to know that this pairing works. Thanks! :beerchug:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 27, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #2,148 of 3,839
Someone using the gryphon with the Aeon 2 Noire , focal Elegia or similar phones? How is the performance?

I'm considering a "mobile" setup that I could easily use with a MacBook or iPad pro while traveling

May 27, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #2,149 of 3,839
Someone using the gryphon with the Aeon 2 Noire , focal Elegia or similar phones? How is the performance?

I'm considering a "mobile" setup that I could easily use with a MacBook or iPad pro while traveling
I´m using with a Focal Radiance, lcd-2c, Meze Liric and Harmonicdyne Zeus . All play well , the Audeze is the most power hungry but runs perfectly, using near 85 on volume. No problems!

May 28, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #2,153 of 3,839
Here's an idea if you have a few currencies burning a hole in your pocket, buy the Gryphon, buy the Westone MACH 80, switch on the XBassII feature and retire from Head-Fi knowing it just can't get any better than this. :)

Endgame.JPG
I am in the process of writing my MACH 60 vs. MACH 70 notes / impressions. I have been using the FiiO M11 (will be explained in the post WHY the M11), but I also intend to try them on the Gryphon this weekend.
Having said that... MACH 70 with XBassII might (literally) blow my head! 🤯

May 28, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #2,154 of 3,839
Are you using balanced with it?
Yes balanced.

Aeons scale with more power, so far my experience has been the more power (current) the better they sound. Gryphon drives Aeons reasonably well, much better than a Dragonfly, Fiio BTR, etc, but I don't hear the same impactful dynamics that I get from iDSD with 4w power output or desktop amp setups with even more power output.

That said, the Gryphon sound quality is really amazing and does the best with analogue synthesizer music that I've heard from a DAC. It's a great balance between warm yet detailed. I could imagine this sounding perfect with easier to drive headphones and I've been considering getting a Focal headphone for that reason.

With Aeons, it's just not going to be the "hang onto your seat" dynamic impact that you get from the Diablo.

May 28, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #2,155 of 3,839
Just bought an iFi Gryphon from a store, seems like a capable device, but need more time.

In the meantime, had a question — is it normal to have a bit of wobble to the volume wheel (which also acts as the power button)?

It’s not major wobble, but there is some movement of the “wheel” button in all 4 directions if some pressure is applied.

May 28, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #2,157 of 3,839
Just bought an iFi Gryphon from a store, seems like a capable device, but need more time.

In the meantime, had a question — is it normal to have a bit of wobble to the volume wheel (which also acts as the power button)?

It’s not major wobble, but there is some movement of the “wheel” button in all 4 directions if some pressure is applied.
My first Gryphon had wobble on the volume wheel, but the replacement Gryphon's wheel seems firmer, no more wobble

May 29, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #2,158 of 3,839
The amount of wobble and rattle of the buttons is directly related to the two front panel screws, I know because when I took my Gryphon apart I didn't tighten the screws enough and had wobble/rattle. Another quarter turn on each screw fixed that particular problem.

Hopefully all the units now shipping have properly torqued screws.

May 29, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #2,159 of 3,839
The amount of wobble and rattle of the buttons is directly related to the two front panel screws, I know because when I took my Gryphon apart I didn't tighten the screws enough and had wobble/rattle. Another quarter turn on each screw fixed that particular problem.

Hopefully all the units now shipping have properly torqued screws.
Hope you are right as I don't dare to insert the driver bit into that screw to check because I afraid to scratch the "precious" black screw :D

May 30, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #2,160 of 3,839
Hey guys,

My needs have changed so I revisiting Gryphon. While the idsd signature sounds significantly better, I'm wondering if anyone has compared to their hip dac. Is it a noticeable upgrade in sound? Currently using jipdac strapped to a TCL phone running xenns up... at the gym.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back