xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
May 18, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #2,132 of 3,834
May 18, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #2,133 of 3,834
That's not Quick Charging. I believe the Gryphon only supports BC 1.2...
I didn't say it was. :) 5v @ 1.8A = 9 Watts which is about the limit for the Gryphon.

Its just that the charger that I linked to allows the highest wattage charge from the QC port. The others only allow a 0.5A charge which I use for when charging speed is unimportant.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #2,134 of 3,834
I didn't say it was. :) 5v @ 1.8A = 9 Watts which is about the limit for the Gryphon.

Its just that the charger that I linked to allows the highest wattage charge from the QC port. The others only allow a 0.5A charge which I use for when charging speed is unimportant.

It's all good. I was just trying to clarify that the Gryphon doesn't support QC... But you already knew. :)

May 19, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #2,135 of 3,834
Welcome to my world. I flagged this as an issue months ago. What needs to happen is for iFi to give us the option to disable AptX Adaptive in firmware. Failing that, this 'glitch' with the V60 (and a few other phone models) won't let you use LDAC with Gryphon. Interesting you managed to use LDAC with GO blu? I have the same issue there.

@Sebastien Chiu @iFi audio

Hi, we are aware of this issue and looking into it, but I don't have an update to provide at this time.

Are there any alternatives for gryphon? Like something similar size, power and BT? Not just IFI i mean?

I'm biased, but I would say no., not exactly 1 for 1 the same!

Is anyone using the iFi Gryphon with an iPhone (streaming Apple Music)?

How do you find the connection and quality over Bluetooth? Still worth it to get the Gryphon while knowing that iPhones only have the AAC codec?

I do - I mainly use Spotify and Apple Music. I have no trouble with ACC, and the sound difference isn't too noticeable from LDAC when you get used to it. Apple does a good job of making ACC sound good overall.

The dealer gives me a brand new unit as a replacement for the "ill-fated" Gryphon. Hope this one will fare better than the last. Please wish me luck :D

Let us know what you think after you get some time with it!

May 19, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #2,138 of 3,834
Indeed the xDuoo XD-05 BAL seems to be close to the Gryphon from many points of view (although not 1:1 identical obviously):
- it has similar output power (1W@32ohm); I say "similar" because real figures will be different than spec;
Of course we need to keep in mind real figures will vary and depend on many factors like how much of an inductive component the headphone drivers have, etc.
- has USB-C, has a screen (although nowehere near as nice as Gryphon), has 4.4mm jack;
- has Bluetooth with all the codecs;

Stricly from a bang-per-buck point of view, the xDuoo seems a better option in my opinion as:
- it has significantly lower THD+N;
- replaceable op-amps; not a huge deal (for me), but it's something that I personally like as a concept;
- has a 6.3mm jack (but does not have 3.5mm); here I kind of prefer the 3.5mm;
- on paper it seems to have better battery autonomy (can't find a spec for Gryphon, but in my experience 4-5 hours at medium to loud volumes);
- seems to have more digital filters (I see FILTER8 on the presentation picture, so I assume at least 8);
- it's cheaper than the Gryphon by a pretty significant margin;

Advantages of Gryphon:
- XBass and XSpace features;
- 3.5mm jack;
- extremely good looking;
- has MQA decoding; for me it's not a huge deal, I did not buy it for this reason, but for others it might;
- has IEMatch, which can be sometimes useful, although I would have preffered to simply have a better DAC with lower noise floor;

I do have the Fiio Q5s and compared to Gryphon it's very anemic in terms of output power. It's one of the big reasons I upgraded to Gryphon.
The Fiio also does not have a screen and mine is the older version with microUSB, not USB-C. However, I do like the Fiio Control app, which has
EQ built in. This is something that's missing on the Gryphon, I would have liked to see it both in Windows driver and mobile app.

Looking forward to the Q7 and possibly the Q5 Pro if they make one. It's always good to see more such products.
Of course, from an audiophile point of view, it's tempting to have all of those devices, not settle on one of them.

I am happy with my Gryphon overall !
I do hope the volume in dB and adjustable screen brightness when OFF will be reintroduced in future firmware iterations, this is something I really miss.

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #2,139 of 3,834
Let us know what you think after you get some time with it!
I used my previous Gryphon for about 4 months before it "went back to Egypt", and I love it. The replacement seems to have a stiffer volume knob. The only thing I am not in love with the Gryphon is the battery indicator. Sometimes it suddenly turns off when there are about 2-3 dots on the battery icon and the lack of low battery warning beside the onscreen text.

May 21, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #2,140 of 3,834
Indeed the xDuoo XD-05 BAL seems to be close to the Gryphon from many points of view (although not 1:1 identical obviously):
- it has similar output power (1W@32ohm); I say "similar" because real figures will be different than spec;
Of course we need to keep in mind real figures will vary and depend on many factors like how much of an inductive component the headphone drivers have, etc.
- has USB-C, has a screen (although nowehere near as nice as Gryphon), has 4.4mm jack;
- has Bluetooth with all the codecs;

Stricly from a bang-per-buck point of view, the xDuoo seems a better option in my opinion as:
- it has significantly lower THD+N;
- replaceable op-amps; not a huge deal, but it's something that I personally like as a concept;
- has a 6.3mm jack (but does not have 3.5mm); here I kind of prefer the 3.5mm;
- on paper it seems to have better battery autonomy (can't find a spec for Gryphon, but in my experience 4-5 hours at medium to loud volumes);
- seems to have more digital filters (I see FILTER8 on the presentation picture, so I assume at least 8);
- it's cheaper than the Gryphon by a pretty significant margin;

Advantages of Gryphon:
- XBass and XSpace features;
- 3.5mm jack;
- extremely good looking;
- has MQA decoding; for me it's not a huge deal, I did not buy it for this reason, but for others it might;
- has IEMatch, which can be sometimes useful, although I would have preffered to simply have a better DAC with lower noise floor;

I do have the Fiio Q5s and compared to Gryphon it's very anemic in terms of output power. It's one of the big reasons I upgraded to Gryphon.
The Fiio also does not have a screen and mine is the older version with microUSB, not USB-C. However, I do like the Fiio Control app, which has
EQ built in. This is something that's missing on the Gryphon, I would have liked to see it both in Windows driver and mobile app.

Looking forward to the Q7 and possibly the Q5 Pro if they make one. It's always good to see more such products.
Of course, from an audiophile point of view, it's tempting to have all of those devices, not settle on one of them.

I am happy with my Gryphon overall !
I do hope the volume in dB and adjustable screen brightness when OFF will be reintroduced in future firmware iterations, this is something I really miss.

The OP-AMP's are a pretty big deal because they significantly change/improve the audio.

The Xduoo BAL is a great unit; downside being bluetooth is so bad, it's basically unsuable on-the-go, and it's not well designed for desktop use, despite having a desktop mode.

But it is the default next buy if the Gryphon is outside your budget.

May 22, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #2,141 of 3,834
ownside being bluetooth is so bad, it's basically unsuable on-the-g

I agree, with LDAC 990 I have drop outs when 10 meters or more (clear sight) from phone (Samsung z flip 3). Otherwise I think I got a good unit, and yes, high-end op-amps make the unit sound much better than default. Luckily, when in Amsterdam Centum at busiest times, LDAC 990 holds perfect, but I have the phone and Xduoo Bal in same pocket.

I really like Gryphon too, especially that iFi read this forum and react to comments and suggestions, and comes out with solutions fast.
Respect @Sebastien Chiu this is how support should look like ...

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #2,142 of 3,834
How does the GO Bar position against the Gryphon?

May 23, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #2,143 of 3,834
Depends if you are asking about audio performance or features.

Usually the answer to this question from Ifi is that audio performance scales with price so Gryphon will sound better and does have a lot more features too. The Go Bar wins on portability though. :)

Comparing these two is a little like comparing a Supercar to an SUV perhaps.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #2,144 of 3,834

Usually the answer to this question from Ifi is that audio performance scales with price so Gryphon will sound better and does have a lot more features too. The Go Bar wins on portability though. :)

Comparing this two is a little like comparing a Supercar to an SUV perhaps.

You're right. The pricier our products are, the better they sound, but even our entry-level devices often perform above their price points. As for GO bar, it's a small dongle product that might seem expensive for what it is, but it feels super-robust in hand and sounds far better than what its small footprint might tell us :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 23, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #2,145 of 3,834
I really like Gryphon too, especially that iFi read this forum and react to comments and suggestions, and comes out with solutions fast.
Respect @Sebastien Chiu this is how support should look like ...

Thanks so much! Our focus on the forums and community interaction is one of the reasons why we're different - I can't think of another brand that does it to the capacity we do.

Comparing these two is a little like comparing a Supercar to an SUV perhaps.

We do like our car comparisons here :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back