xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Mar 13, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #1,771 of 3,839
Finally got one, it is pleasant sounding ootb. Mine updated to the latest FW and also BT FW using GAIA.

I am using both Tidal and UAPP and found song / sound is cracking using BT LDAC especially with high pitched notes.

I was thinking my 7hz iem, rest of my iem but it is not.
Tried Tidal app using USB all sound normal and pleasant. Tried to restart & reconnect same cracking sound.. Anyone have same issue with LDAC and UAPP ?

I also attach the artist and song, it is right at 0:42, Adele's vocal is cracking (only at UAPP)

Attachments

• IMG_20220313_223940.jpg
    IMG_20220313_223940.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2022-03-13-23-05-56-891_com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-03-13-23-05-56-891_com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2022-03-13-23-07-23-030_com.aspiro.tidal.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-03-13-23-07-23-030_com.aspiro.tidal.jpg
    745.8 KB · Views: 0
Mar 13, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #1,773 of 3,839
Mar 13, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #1,774 of 3,839
Just bought a Gryphon and I'm really enjoying it so far. Quite different in sound to the Hip Dac that I just sold. Much cleaner with higher resolution.

Perfect middle ground to the Diablo. Glad to own both and now I think i've got the best of the transportable options out there.

Should I be upgrading the firmware or are both options basically the same?

Mar 14, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #1,775 of 3,839
I found a very strange situation. When I update the latest version of firmware 1.43, I found that there is imbalance/out-of-phrase of sound from xdsd Gryphon.

I tried to down-grade to the previous firmware 1.22 and this issue was gone......

I am in Hong Kong. Whether I should bring my gear to the sole agent to check?

Mar 14, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #1,777 of 3,839
I just wanted a decent Bluetooth dac/amp receiver to drive Focal Clear. All these firmware posts makes me consider that think the product is not ready?
IMHO it feels like a more "finished" product now than it did with the release F/W. We just need a couple of extra little features and it will be perfect but it is in no way not ready now.

The one thing about software is its never finished, that's probably how I managed to make a life-long career out of doing it. :)

Mar 14, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #1,779 of 3,839
I found a very strange situation. When I update the latest version of firmware 1.43, I found that there is imbalance/out-of-phrase of sound from xdsd Gryphon.

I tried to down-grade to the previous firmware 1.22 and this issue was gone......

I am in Hong Kong. Whether I should bring my gear to the sole agent to check?

Hmm... I noticed a similar imbalance in my unit (running 1.43), but I didn't listen to it on the original firmware. Have sent my unit back to the distributor for checking.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #1,780 of 3,839
Finally got one, it is pleasant sounding ootb. Mine updated to the latest FW and also BT FW using GAIA.

I am using both Tidal and UAPP and found song / sound is cracking using BT LDAC especially with high pitched notes.

I was thinking my 7hz iem, rest of my iem but it is not.
Tried Tidal app using USB all sound normal and pleasant. Tried to restart & reconnect same cracking sound.. Anyone have same issue with LDAC and UAPP ?

I also attach the artist and song, it is right at 0:42, Adele's vocal is cracking (only at UAPP)

Hi there,

Are you able to reproduce this issue via the Tidal app and LDAC?

I just wanted a decent Bluetooth dac/amp receiver to drive Focal Clear. All these firmware posts makes me consider that think the product is not ready?

We always provide post-launch firmware updates on our products - many of the new additions have been suggested by community members here, and we pride ourselves on letting community feedback drive that live service.

The one thing about software is its never finished, that's probably how I managed to make a life-long career out of doing it. :)

Exactly!

Hmm... I noticed a similar imbalance in my unit (running 1.43), but I didn't listen to it on the original firmware. Have sent my unit back to the distributor for checking.

Hi,

Is there any chance you can ask your distrib to see if they can reproduce it on the previous firmware you were on?

Mar 15, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #1,782 of 3,839
I asked some questions but I'm still waiting for a response. This firmware thing could easily be fixed I presume. LDAC has often been a problem for me with bluetooth headphones - since LDAC requires more bandwidth and needs to be a little closer to the source when handling that bandwidth. SBC has been a lot more forgiving.

Mar 15, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #1,784 of 3,839
I asked some questions but I'm still waiting for a response. This firmware thing could easily be fixed I presume. LDAC has often been a problem for me with bluetooth headphones - since LDAC requires more bandwidth and needs to be a little closer to the source when handling that bandwidth. SBC has been a lot more forgiving.

Judging by what I was able to gather from your profile.'

1. The Gryphon has 6.7v output. It can do up to 1,000mW at 32 Ohms.
  2. It can drive the DCA Stealth with a bit of wiggle room (Source: I owned a Stealth for a bit and used the Gryphon with it).
  3. DCA has a Gryphon that we sent them, hence why they can say it can drive it. They think the pairing is more than sufficient.
  4. The XBass II and the XSpace is not the same as on the iFi micro Signature XBass+ and 3D+. They are different implementations.

Mar 15, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #1,785 of 3,839
According to the distributor, downgrading the firmware solved the imbalance. What now lol

I'll take this feedback back to my team and see if we can replicate on our end too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back