xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Mar 8, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #1,741 of 3,834
Is the iFi USB driver not the last link in the chain before the signal is sent over USB to the gryphon? If this was a windows mixer issue limiting sampling rate to 44.1/48, the iFi USB driver would only see 44.1 or 48. But the driver sees the correct rate, all the way up to 192.

Maybe you had our GTO filter engaged? Can you please check your digital filter settings? Thanks!

Don't buy hardware with the promise of future software update!

...unless it's a hardware that's flexible enough to allow for software updates :wink:

Hi there...I am a Gryphon owner and was wondering with the new volume stepping through 106, at what point in the line out fixed? Thanks.

I'd have to double-check this, but I'm pretty sure that at 0dB (Red) you're at line level, thanks!

Just joined the club! :beerchug:

Welcome aboard :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 8, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #1,742 of 3,834
Don't buy hardware with the promise of future software update!

...unless it's a hardware that's flexible enough to allow for software updates :wink:
This is in reference to desktop mode, right? While it would be nice for a device like Gryphon to have the flexibility to operate this way, the way I see it, Gryphon is a mobile-first device. There are plenty of great solutions for desktop use that cost half the price of Gryphon, some of them come from iFi themselves.

It was my own angst over desktop use of my SR25 that got me into desktop gear in the first place, and in hindsight I'm very happy I did.

Mar 8, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #1,743 of 3,834
^Yeah, the fact is that I'm mainly using this as a desktop device, it's just that I have a laptop, so sometimes it's used mobile. I don't want to go full wall-plug desktop amp because then I have nothing to take with me when I do take my laptop somewhere and I'm restricted to listening to music with my laptop on my desk.

The Zen DAC is the closest thing you get to a laptop-specific amp since it's a desktop amp that can be run off USB. When I had one I used to take it with me while traveling.

Mar 8, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #1,744 of 3,834
Anybody compared this vs TRI TK-2 or RU6 before?
I compared the Gryphon vs RU6. Gryphon is more resolving and detailed while RU6 has denser (more weighty) sound, especially in the Mid range. Soundstage is wider on iFi but RU6 has just a bit more depth. Instrument seperation and layering is more precise on the Gryphon while vocals on RU6 sound more organic compared to Gryphon's vocals which were flatter.

RU6 does not have enough power to drive headphones well, iFi does. iFi has a fair amount of hiss (without IEMatch) in balanced output while RU6 does not.

At the end of the day, it's more an apples to oranges type of comparison with these 2. I grab RU6 for long listening sections every time, it's very easy on the ears without sounding lacking in energy. Gryphon can sound too smoothed at times.

Mar 8, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #1,745 of 3,834
I would use this on the desktop quite often because I want to stray away from bulky setups, and the fact that I can take it portable on the bedside or the couch is a bonus. Most of my listening is done with IEMs these days, even at home, so the Gryphon's footprint and power capability are almost perfect for my use cases . But that unfortunate battery design is ultimately pushing me towards the Mojo 2.

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #1,747 of 3,834
Hi, almost ready to pull the trigger on the Gryphon to pair with my SE846.
Just one (stupid) question: What happens when you receive a phone call on the iPhone when paired over Bluetooth? Does it have a built in mic like the GoBlu?
Thanks!
Akira

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #1,748 of 3,834
Hi, almost ready to pull the trigger on the Gryphon to pair with my SE846.
Just one (stupid) question: What happens when you receive a phone call on the iPhone when paired over Bluetooth? Does it have a built in mic like the GoBlu?
Thanks!
Akira
No mic on the Gryphon.

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #1,750 of 3,834
Oh… thanks for the quick answer.

How do you receive calls then? Do you have to toggle the sound output back to phone, or is the mic on the iPhone itself automatically activated?

Tried this with wired phones before, but never had Bluetooth audio that didn't have a mic.

Akira
I don't. I use mine for travel, and it's to help me de-stress after a busy day at work. At that point, all calls are ignored (unless from friends/family). I suppose if it was critical, speakerphone button is an option...

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #1,751 of 3,834
I don't. I use mine for travel, and it's to help me de-stress after a busy day at work. At that point, all calls are ignored (unless from friends/family). I suppose if it was critical, speakerphone button is an option...
Hmm, I would have agreed back in 2019, but in this day and age when the lines are really blurred… :wink:

Thanks for the info though! I guess I need to go look for a demo unit in Shinjuku or Akihabara.

Akira

Mar 9, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #1,752 of 3,834

How do you receive calls then? Do you have to toggle the sound output back to phone, or is the mic on the iPhone itself automatically activated?

Tried this with wired phones before, but never had Bluetooth audio that didn't have a mic.

Akira

If my understanding is correct, when receiving calls with the Gryphon connected, you will talk through the phone speaker and mic (it means you have to actually hold the phone to your face as you normally do)

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #1,753 of 3,834

Akira

If my understanding is correct, when receiving calls with the Gryphon connected, you will talk through the phone speaker and mic (it means you have to actually hold the phone to your face as you normally do)

Unlike the Go Blu, the xDSD Gyphon can not accept calls (even over Bluetooth).

Source: I tried it, and for example, a Teams call will go directly to speakers or another audio source that can accept it.

The Go Blu on the other hand can be used for everything in between.

Mar 9, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #1,754 of 3,834
Unlike the Go Blu, the xDSD Gyphon can not accept calls (even over Bluetooth).

Source: I tried it, and for example, a Teams call will go directly to speakers or another audio source that can accept it.

The Go Blu on the other hand can be used for everything in between.
Thanks for the further info.
Unfortunately too late, as I ended up buying the Gryphon last night on the way home from work after comparing with Go Blu. Inconvieniences be dammed. :xf_cool:

Great piece of kit, really feels like an old school Preamp with modern updates. Sounds still a bit stiff, hopefully will open up with some time.

Mar 9, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #1,755 of 3,834
This is in reference to desktop mode, right? While it would be nice for a device like Gryphon to have the flexibility to operate this way, the way I see it, Gryphon is a mobile-first device. There are plenty of great solutions for desktop use that cost half the price of Gryphon, some of them come from iFi themselves.

It was my own angst over desktop use of my SR25 that got me into desktop gear in the first place, and in hindsight I'm very happy I did.

Great point of view you have there!

@iFi audio

Can you confirm if my understanding is correct? :point_up: If I just want to use this as pure Amp, use Line. And if I want to use this as DAC/Amp, use the Digital/WIreless inputs.

Yes, it is correct.

Thanks for the further info.
Unfortunately too late, as I ended up buying the Gryphon last night on the way home from work after comparing with Go Blu. Inconvieniences be dammed. :xf_cool:

Great piece of kit, really feels like an old school Preamp with modern updates. Sounds still a bit stiff, hopefully will open up with some time.

Keep us posted on what you think going forward! Thanks for picking it up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back