xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Mar 3, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #1,711 of 3,839
Right now I'll be happy with a basic enable/disable AptX Adaptive option. Sadly AptX Adaptive overrides LDAC in my LG phone (and a few other handsets) and prevents the use of LDAC with Gryphon and GO Blu.

You should be able to change the default codec in Android developer options. Works perfectly fine with my OnePlus 8 Pro. Every connection is now LDAC.

Mar 3, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #1,712 of 3,839
A good question here: is the XBass II and the XSpace the same as on the iFi micro Signature XBass+ and 3D+?

The names have changed and thus lots of confusion? I presumed they would be the same. Are they different with the Gryphon? The same? Less? Improved?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #1,713 of 3,839
A good question here: is the XBass II and the XSpace the same as on the iFi micro Signature XBass+ and 3D+?

The names have changed and thus lots of confusion? I presumed they would be the same. Are they different with the Gryphon? The same? Less? Improved?
Signature & Gryphon owner here. Quality is mostly the same but Signature's xBass hits slightly harder, easy to see the difference with hard to drive headphones (might just be due to the extra power in Signature)

Apart from that Gryphon has more tuning options under it's xBass II (Bass/Presence/Bass+Presence) vs just xBass+ on Signature.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #1,716 of 3,839
Folks, our xDSD Gryphon XMOS firmware V1.43 is now available with release notes below (this is NOT Bluetooth firmware):

1) Added maximum Volume Limiter option (60%, 80%, 95%, OFF). Default is OFF with maximum volume set to 100%.

Go to Settings (hold down GEAR button for 3 seconds), turn VOLUME knob to Volume Limiter, press VOLUME button to select, then turn VOLUME knob to select a percentage. Press GEAR button to exit settings.

To use: turn VOLUME down to Mute (minimum volume), short press VOLUME button once to unmute.
  • When Volume Limiter is set at 60%, the maximum volume is 66db. To use, set to Mute, volume jumps to 49db after a short press on the VOLUME button.
  • When Volume Limiter is set at 80%, the maximum volume is 86db. To use, set to Mute, volume jumps to 64db after a short press on the VOLUME button.
  • When Volume Limiter is set to 95%, the maximum volume is 100db. To use, set to Mute, volume jumps to 75db after a short press on the VOLUME button.
  • When Volume Limiter is set to OFF, the maximum volume is 106db. To use, set to Mute, volume jumps to 79db after a short press on the VOLUME button.
2) Added volume synchronization option in Settings.

3) Added volume soft ramp option in Settings.

4) Added volume lock function. To lock/unlock volume control, short press VOLUME button and XSpace/XBass button simultaneously.
When volume control is locked, a small lock icon appears on the screen.

5) Fine tuned volume stepping. Volume level below 100: low gain. Volume level above Turbo 101+: high gain.

6) Updated volume LED light indicator: blue: 1 ~ 21, purple: 22 ~ 41, magenta: 42 ~ 61, green: 62 ~ 79, yellow: 80 ~ 97, red: 98 ~ 106

7) Optimized battery full charge voltage detection. Charging time is about 2.5 hours with a high-power charger.

8) Updated menu display.

9) Updated Screen Brightness Setting as follows:
  • High: Screen is displayed in high brightness. If no key press after 10 minutes, display will be reduced to low brightness. Press any key to restore high brightness display.
  • Low: Screen is always displayed in low brightness.
  • Off: Screen is displayed in low brightness, if no key press after 10 seconds, screen will be turned off. Press any key to restore low brightness display.
Please feel free to try it out, thanks!
I am a bit confused about the Volume sync feature.

- When set to off, disconnect and reconnect the Gryphon to the computer using a USB cable, the volume on the computer (Windows) jump to 100% and I can change the volume on the Gryphon without changing the value on Windows => this seems about right
- When set to on, disconnect, and reconnect the Gryphon to the computer using a USB cable, the volume on the computer (Windows) jump to 100% and when I change the volume on the Gryphon, the volume value on the computer is not changed => this seems wrong.

Please let me know if I misunderstood this feature.

Another thing about the volume limiter feature: the usage instruction just makes me confused. When trying on my device, after set the limit, the volume just stops increasing at a certain value - this is the correct behavior of this feature. Your "instruction" is not needed, since it causes another issue: if the user is playing something and decreases the volume to MUTE, when they click the volume button, it will return to the old volume value and stop the music. This will make a short burst of whatever the user is listening to and then silent

Mar 4, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #1,717 of 3,839
You should be able to change the default codec in Android developer options. Works perfectly fine with my OnePlus 8 Pro. Every connection is now LDAC.
Sadly no. For some reason the LG V60 (and a few other phones) default to AptX Adaptive and will not permit an LDAC connection. Hence the request to have the option to disable AptX Adaptive on the Gryphon side.

Mar 4, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #1,718 of 3,839
what does Volume Soft Ramp do?

Mar 4, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #1,719 of 3,839
By way of battery health protection, can we get a desktop mode?

I doubt very much they could do that since it would require current diversion from the power processing chip since I don't believe there is any segregation of power inputs or voltage regulators on the DC input. The input is just a C-USB input which I believe is either 3.3v or 5v depending on power source and current draw.

I am not sure even the Diablo offers true battery disengagement with the external DC power supply. I believe it just mitigates the battery drain. Still much better than running out of juice.

Batteries generally do not like heat at all. Heat is what destroys battery life over time. I doubt any DC input unless completely segregated from the battery input would work without involving the built-in battery and certainly would potentially generate more heat and effectively shortening the battery life overall.

Mar 4, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #1,720 of 3,839
I found an Ukrainian handmade case for Gryphon, pretty sure he could made with different kind of leather.
Unfortunately now is close, but i wish him will come back to work and normal life.

gryphon case openrear.jpg
gryphon case open.jpg
gryphon case rearjack.jpg
gryphon case front.jpg
gryphon case side2.jpg
gryphon case side.jpg
gryphon casefront.jpg
gryphon case.jpg
il_1140xN.3651176316_macf.jpg

Mar 5, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #1,722 of 3,839
Yet another reason to go for the Sig or the Diablo. I will miss bluetooth but I know that 4W is better than 1W for headroom especially for the DCA Stealth

The signature and Diablo are pretty different products than the Gryphon is trying to be. Whilst some products are labelled "portable" it's pretty clear the Signature is not portable whatsoever unless maybe you leave it in a backpack as you commute.

Not to mention those two products are significantly more expensive.

I think the Gryphon's performance is in a great place especially vs the market. I got mine used for a significant discount, and I went for the Gryphon because it was the only product on the market right now that offered all the features I wanted in 1 package that was designed in a coherent way.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #1,723 of 3,839
Anyone compared this to go blu or hip dac or r6 2020? I'm find neither the utws5, bor go blu power my ier z1r very well. I had the gryphon for a week, but they sound so much fuller on the ifi micro signature, which is part better signature/dac implementation and part power, but I wasnt comparing portability nor against othet products. Wondering if I should pick one of these up again for the gym, or a hip dac with hiby r3 or just go hiby r6 2020. Any comparisons to r6 or hip dac?

Mar 5, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #1,724 of 3,839
The signature and Diablo are pretty different products than the Gryphon is trying to be. Whilst some products are labelled "portable" it's pretty clear the Signature is not portable whatsoever unless maybe you leave it in a backpack as you commute.

Our iDSD Diablo and micro iDSD Signature are transportable products, while GO blu, xDSD Gryphon and hip-dac 2 as portable, but all can be used away from a desktop :wink:

This please... if possible

Although there are no promises, we routinely ask about that functionality internally, so perhaps one day it'll happen, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 5, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #1,725 of 3,839
You might want to check your Apple Music Streaming/Downloading settings. High-Res Lossless plays just fine on the Gryphon when connected via USB to my iPhone 11 Pro/iPad Pro (see attached pic)
Hi,

your screen has a dead line - or is it just the camera?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back