xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Mar 1, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #1,684 of 3,834
Thanks everyone. I telephoned iFi Support yesterday, and asked the following 2 questions which they answered as follows.

1. Are you aware of any issues with the 4.4mm Pentaconn Headphone output connection where it is damaging cables and the port on the player that have been reported on Head-Fi? The answer from iFi support was as follows - "We are aware of some users reporting on the forums of this issue, but we do not have any issues with our design and the reports may be related to individual use case where the cable that is used is out of design spec"

2. The packaging includes a OTG USB-c to Apple lightning cable that indicates the device can be connected to Apple device without the need for a Apple Camera Connector Adaptor, but the user manual instructions indicate that a Apple Camera Connector Adaptor is required by the device when connecting Apple devices. Please confirm if a Apple Camera Connector Adaptor is required for use with this device? Whilst on the call, the support engineer connected the device directly to a Apple device using just the included OTG USB-c to Apple lightning cable and confirmed the device works without the need for a Apple Camera Connector Adaptor :L3000::L3000::L3000:

Hope this helps fellow forum members if they are thinking about buying this device. I ordered one and will report back on its functionality when it arrives later today.

Mar 1, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #1,685 of 3,834
Ok just received the Gryphon

Strange scenario going on. From the iPhone 13 Pro, when streaming using Bluetooth connection or connected via USB-C to Lightning cable and using either Apple Music or Tidal, Highres audio tracks being played are decoding on the Gryphon at a max 44k???

What gives @iFi audio ??? Please explain

Mar 1, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #1,686 of 3,834
Hope this helps fellow forum members if they are thinking about buying this device. I ordered one and will report back on its functionality when it arrives later today.

Thanks for mentioning these matters and we look forward to your findings, enjoy :)

From the iPhone 13 Pro, when streaming using Bluetooth connection or connected via USB-C to Lightning cable and using either Apple Music or Tidal, Highres audio tracks being played are decoding on the Gryphon at a max 44k???

xDSD Gryphon shows you what it's getting from your smartphone, that's all there is to it really. In other words, your device receives 44k data, so at this point I'd suggest investigating an app that would allow you to send audio higher than that, for example Neutron: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/neutron-music-player/id766858884

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 1, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #1,687 of 3,834
Thanks for mentioning these matters and we look forward to your findings, enjoy :)

xDSD Gryphon shows you what it's getting from your smartphone, that's all there is to it really. In other words, your device receives 44k data, so at this point I'd suggest investigating an app that would allow you to send audio higher than that, for example Neutron: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/neutron-music-player/id766858884

Unfortunately Neutron does not support streaming services such as Apple Music or Tidal so no use.

Apple states very clearly on the following support page that they support ALAC in Apple Music now with bitrates up to 192k.

They also make it clear that to listen to these higher rate bitrates, you need an external DAC aka the Gryphon.

Apple Music Bitrates

So from this I'm assuming that if Apple music support higher lossless bitrates, and can output this bitrate via an external DAC, then the Gryphon has an issue decoding these higher rate bitrates when connected via the lightning connector using the included iFi OTG cable.

56C2ADC2-0126-419D-8D20-DE2E430FC61B.png

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #1,688 of 3,834
Unfortunately Neutron does not support streaming services such as Apple Music or Tidal so no use.

Apple states very clearly on the following support page that they support ALAC in Apple Music now with bitrates up to 192k.

They also make it clear that to listen to these higher rate bitrates, you need an external DAC aka the Gryphon.

Apple Music Bitrates

So from this I'm assuming that if Apple music support higher lossless bitrates, and can output this bitrate via an external DAC, then the Gryphon has an issue decoding these higher rate bitrates when connected via the lightning connector using the included iFi OTG cable.

Dude you seem hellbent on finding issues with this.. I can't see how this is a gryphon issue.

Mar 1, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #1,689 of 3,834

Apple Music Bitrates

Firstly via Bluetooth you'll never go beyond 44.1 because AAC is limited to 16/44.1, and a very low bitrate lossy 44.1 at that.

Via Lightning it depends on the app. If you're playing high-bitrate ALAC files in an app that supports bitperfect output via Lightning then you'll get hi-res playback on Gryphon. Best to check with the app you're using.

Mar 1, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #1,690 of 3,834
Have you heard the iDSD or iCAN? They are fabulous units, which pretty much set the benchmark for the mid-tier DAC/amp segment when they came out. If this is an all-in-one and at that price it will be a top notch product.

Hype train or not, iFi has proven to put out some pretty darn good equipment at this level and up.
I stand corrected!

Mar 1, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #1,692 of 3,834
Ok just received the Gryphon

Strange scenario going on. From the iPhone 13 Pro, when streaming using Bluetooth connection or connected via USB-C to Lightning cable and using either Apple Music or Tidal, Highres audio tracks being played are decoding on the Gryphon at a max 44k???

You might want to check your Apple Music Streaming/Downloading settings. High-Res Lossless plays just fine on the Gryphon when connected via USB to my iPhone 11 Pro/iPad Pro (see attached pic)

Attachments

• 6AF3BB85-6816-473C-AC7C-AB4B559C8411.jpeg
    6AF3BB85-6816-473C-AC7C-AB4B559C8411.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 2, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #1,693 of 3,834
No dude

Just trying to figure out how to get this working correctly so it streams the correct bitrate for each song played. Thats all
You might want to check your Apple Music Streaming/Downloading settings. High-Res Lossless plays just fine on the Gryphon when connected via USB to my iPhone 11 Pro/iPad Pro (see attached pic)

As @musik2021 said, can you please drop a screenshot of your settings and show a picture of how it is set up? Then we will be able to better help you.

Mar 2, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #1,694 of 3,834
Firstly via Bluetooth you'll never go beyond 44.1 because AAC is limited to 16/44.1, and a very low bitrate lossy 44.1 at that.

Via Lightning it depends on the app. If you're playing high-bitrate ALAC files in an app that supports bitperfect output via Lightning then you'll get hi-res playback on Gryphon. Best to check with the app you're using.

I am still testing, but there are some strange things going on with this device. Will post screenshots later after work and after testing.

Edit - Ok so it would seem that this device has exhibited the following Out of The Box as new.

1. Removing the device completely new and turning it on for the first time with no software updates applied to it.
2. Connect using Bluetooth for the first time, you can only stream at 44.1k (by design as this is the Bluetooth limitation I already knew).
3. Connect the included OTG cable and tried to stream from Apple Music (My settings are already set to the highest's) but only 44.1K streamed.
4. Connected a Apple CCK and it streamed 96k so highres lossless was ok.
5. Disconnected the Apple CCK and plugged in the iFi OTG cable only and the device streamed 96K

It's as if the device was locked to 44.1k for the first time out of the box as the first stream it received was the Bluetooth 44.1k stream and it couldn't do anything higher until the CCK was plugged into it. I wonder if this is a bug in the firmware that is experienced fresh out of the box?

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #1,695 of 3,834
So in order the stream hires lossless audio to the Gryphon from an Apple device you DO INDEED require an Apple CCK inline to the Gryphon.
If you look at @musik2021's shot above, that doesn't seem to be the case. I suggest it's app dependent, or iPhone settings dependent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back