xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Jan 15, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #1,366 of 3,834
I'm finding the 4.4mm connection very stiff with all of my IEMs - I have to push quite firmly to make the connection, likewise to unplug. Anyone else have this? I've not experienced before, hope not something that could damage the unit or jack.
Yes, it's the same with GO blu. Apparently iFi used licensed Pentaconn specs, so it's a tight fit, but not an issue. Just insert and release slowly 😉 Certainly not as gliding smooth as it is on most DAPs.

Jan 15, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #1,367 of 3,834
Yes, it's the same with GO blu. Apparently iFi used licensed Pentaconn specs, so it's a tight fit, but not an issue. Just insert and release slowly 😉 Certainly not as gliding smooth as it is on most DAPs.

Ok good to know, thank you. Traillii in particular was quite a job to detach and had me worried momentarily!

ZEN PRO has an L shape jack as part of the modular system, I find that has to be positioned to the right when connected, it drops the signal if to the left, either to one channel or altogether. Mildly annoying but I can live with it!

Jan 15, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #1,368 of 3,834
ZEN PRO has an L shape jack as part of the modular system, I find that has to be positioned to the right when connected, it drops the signal if to the left, either to one channel or altogether. Mildly annoying but I can live with it!
Not the first I've heard of it, but mainly with GO blu. If it becomes an issue I'd get an RMA replacement. Thankfully I've had zero issues with either device, other than the unlubricated fit.

Jan 15, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #1,369 of 3,834
Not the first I've heard of it, but mainly with GO blu. If it becomes an issue I'd get an RMA replacement. Thankfully I've had zero issues with either device, other than the unlubricated fit.

Yeah I'll try over the weekend - just took so long to get here, the thoughts of having to start dealing with a return process when it just landed!

Jan 15, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #1,370 of 3,834
I'm finding the 4.4mm connection very stiff with all of my IEMs - I have to push quite firmly to make the connection, likewise to unplug. Anyone else have this? I've not experienced before, hope not something that could damage the unit or jack.

It's a common problem with other iFi products (reported by several users).
I had similar experience with both Hip-Dac and Gryphon.
On the Hip-Dac it was so tight that it destroyed one of my 4.4 connector cable !

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #1,371 of 3,834
It's a common problem with other iFi products (reported by several users).
I had similar experience with both Hip-Dac and Gryphon.
On the Hip-Dac it was so tight that it destroyed one of my 4.4 connector cable !

That's certainly not what you expect to experience. I'm surprised being a known issue that it hasn't been resolved.

So far, just ZEN PRO for whatever reason cuts out if not positioned to the right. Anything else I've tested so far is fine.

I love the unit, sounds amazing and certainly versatile but a bit disappointed with this problem!

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #1,372 of 3,834
That's certainly not what you expect to experience. I'm surprised being a known issue that it hasn't been resolved.

So far, just ZEN PRO for whatever reason cuts out if not positioned to the right. Anything else I've tested so far is fine.

I love the unit, sounds amazing and certainly versatile but a bit disappointed with this problem!
I will say it's a known problem but with only a tiny number of reported incidents, and mainly with third party/non-standard 4.4mm connectors. I've had zero issues with any of my IEM or headphone 4.4mm cables. As long as you're careful inserting and removing, no problems. The issue with your Zen cable is different, but as long as it works with all your other cables, I wouldn't worry.

I'm sure @Sebastien Chiu can add more about the specific 4.4mm connectors used in Gryphon. Not sure if it's the same one used in Diablo and iDSD Pro, but if it isn't, it should be, and if it is, the 'problem' would be across the product range.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #1,373 of 3,834
I will say it's a known problem but with only a tiny number of reported incidents, and mainly with third party/non-standard 4.4mm connectors. I've had zero issues with any of my IEM or headphone 4.4mm cables. As long as you're careful inserting and removing, no problems. The issue with your Zen cable is different, but as long as it works with all your other cables, I wouldn't worry.

I'm sure @Sebastien Chiu can add more about the specific 4.4mm connectors used in Gryphon. Not sure if it's the same one used in Diablo and iDSD Pro, but if it isn't, it should be, and if it is, the 'problem' would be across the product range.

Having plugged/unplugged some more this morning, I think the stiff nature of the connector is something I will adjust to, I don't think it's an issue - the PW jack though on Traillii was incredibly tight, and I was slightly alarmed when I went to unplug, especially with that cable being 2x the price of Gryphon! Odd that with ZEN PRO it must be positioned to the right, the anatomy of the jack in reality is the same as others I own, the L shape shouldn't have any bearing - presumably there are subtle differences on the jack themselves.

Curious to hear iFi view on it and look forward to hearing from @Sebastien Chiu :)

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #1,375 of 3,834

I own several 4.4mm connectors and all work well with all my other non iFi units.
The only exception has been the iFi products (which means that iFi connectors are indeed not totally standard...) !
So far, both Hip-Dac, Go-Blu and Gryphon have problems with 4.4mm connection.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #1,376 of 3,834
I own several 4.4mm connectors and all work well with all my other non iFi units.
The only exception has been the iFi products (which means that iFi connectors are indeed not totally standard...) !
So far, both Hip-Dac, Go-Blu and Gryphon have problems with 4.4mm connection.
Let's wait for @Sebastien Chiu to clarify. Knowing iFi their ports are built to spec. Other than original Pentaconn plugs, all other 4.4mm connectors are not OEM and not guaranteed to be built to spec. That's not to say some iFi products don't have problematic ports.

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #1,378 of 3,834
Let's wait for @Sebastien Chiu to clarify. Knowing iFi their ports are built to spec. Other than original Pentaconn plugs, all other 4.4mm connectors are not OEM and not guaranteed to be built to spec. That's not to say some iFi products don't have problematic ports.
Strange. With a Pentaconn 4.4 cable if entirely inserted it's ok, with two others I hear only right channel. I have to extract just 1mm to hear left and right channel.???

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #1,379 of 3,834

The odd thing here is that my biggest issue in terms of stiffness is from what I understand is my only original Pentaconn jack - the PW on Traillii! Maybe others are but that's certainly the only one branded as such.

Jan 15, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #1,380 of 3,834
Strange. With a Pentaconn 4.4 cable if entirely inserted it's ok, with two others I hear only right channel. I have to extract just 1mm to hear left and right channel.???
Also had with Gryphon that exact same situation with my Pentaconn cables (all of them Pentaconn certified and working without any issues with my other equiment)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back