xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Jan 15, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #1,381 of 3,839
Anyone paired their Gryphon with Thieaudio Monarch mk2? I am looking for some new IEMs and am debating which ones to go with. Was leaning towards Campfire Andromeda but previous posts make it sound like it might not be a good pairing with the Gryphon.

Jan 16, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #1,382 of 3,839
That's certainly not what you expect to experience. I'm surprised being a known issue that it hasn't been resolved.

So far, just ZEN PRO for whatever reason cuts out if not positioned to the right. Anything else I've tested so far is fine.

I love the unit, sounds amazing and certainly versatile but a bit disappointed with this problem!

Yeah the Gryphon 4.4 port is recessed too deeply causing contact issues and uses not-so-smooth contacts internally. I kind of worry about breaking one off in there when inserting my cable sometimes but - it keeps going. Because of this I had connection problems with one of my cables which I solved by doing some light filing on the cable's connector housing so it'd seat deeper in the Gryphon. Given this fact and that I've no problems on any other product including Sony's own WM1A I feel the Gryphon is slightly 'off' on the connector quality.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #1,384 of 3,839
There's a Lightning to USB-C cable included in the box. I don't use an iPhone but it would be strange if that cable doesn't work...

Yeah, I was thinking the same too, it's just that the manual and YouTube video that I posted some pages back contradict each other for iOS USB connection.

Anyways, found the answer to my question in this recent review by Bloom:

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #1,385 of 3,839
@iFi audio I assume Gryphon has some DSP power onboard - it would be so neat to have a digital EQ similar to RME ADI 2 accessible through the display/scroll-volume wheel to give us some flexibility to do accurate tweaks fixes to our headphones (outside of the limited xbass band).. I'm always begging manufacturers to integrate this, only RME and Qudelix have pulled it off effectively so far out of hundreds of devices.. and it's one super useful and neat feature to have as headphone listener

Jan 18, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #1,386 of 3,839
@iFi audio I assume Gryphon has some DSP power onboard - it would be so neat to have a digital EQ similar to RME ADI 2 accessible through the display/scroll-volume wheel to give us some flexibility to do accurate tweaks fixes to our headphones (outside of the limited xbass band).. I'm always begging manufacturers to integrate this, only RME and Qudelix have pulled it off effectively so far out of hundreds of devices.. and it's one super useful and neat feature to have as headphone listener

iFi is an ASP (analog signal processing) driven company. We will not do any sort of digital EQ on our products it goes against our design mentality.

xBass and xSpace are analog on the Gryphon as well, the more you know!
I will say it's a known problem but with only a tiny number of reported incidents, and mainly with third party/non-standard 4.4mm connectors. I've had zero issues with any of my IEM or headphone 4.4mm cables. As long as you're careful inserting and removing, no problems. The issue with your Zen cable is different, but as long as it works with all your other cables, I wouldn't worry.

I'm sure @Sebastien Chiu can add more about the specific 4.4mm connectors used in Gryphon. Not sure if it's the same one used in Diablo and iDSD Pro, but if it isn't, it should be, and if it is, the 'problem' would be across the product range.

Having plugged/unplugged some more this morning, I think the stiff nature of the connector is something I will adjust to, I don't think it's an issue - the PW jack though on Traillii was incredibly tight, and I was slightly alarmed when I went to unplug, especially with that cable being 2x the price of Gryphon! Odd that with ZEN PRO it must be positioned to the right, the anatomy of the jack in reality is the same as others I own, the L shape shouldn't have any bearing - presumably there are subtle differences on the jack themselves.

Curious to hear iFi view on it and look forward to hearing from @Sebastien Chiu :)

I own several 4.4mm connectors and all work well with all my other non iFi units.
The only exception has been the iFi products (which means that iFi connectors are indeed not totally standard...) !
So far, both Hip-Dac, Go-Blu and Gryphon have problems with 4.4mm connection.

Let's wait for @Sebastien Chiu to clarify. Knowing iFi their ports are built to spec. Other than original Pentaconn plugs, all other 4.4mm connectors are not OEM and not guaranteed to be built to spec. That's not to say some iFi products don't have problematic ports.

Yeah the Gryphon 4.4 port is recessed too deeply causing contact issues and uses not-so-smooth contacts internally. I kind of worry about breaking one off in there when inserting my cable sometimes but - it keeps going. Because of this I had connection problems with one of my cables which I solved by doing some light filing on the cable's connector housing so it'd seat deeper in the Gryphon. Given this fact and that I've no problems on any other product including Sony's own WM1A I feel the Gryphon is slightly 'off' on the connector quality.

For folks experiencing the 4.4 issues, thanks for reporting it and your continued feedback. We are taking a deeper look into it, but our current stance is as follows;

Our 4.4mm ports are built to the spec that matches the official Pentacon jack, not a 3rd party reproduction.

If your cables are not working, it's likely because the 4.4mm pentaconn connection on the cable is slightly too small or too large.

As such, results in the connector only working at a certain insertion depth.

Rest assured, I will provide more updates when I have them.

If using on just android devices, do I update the firmware to 1.22 and the Bluetooth update?
For getting true mqa rendering do I use the tidal app, or can I use uapp?

Responded to your PM sir!

Yeah, I was thinking the same too, it's just that the manual and YouTube video that I posted some pages back contradict each other for iOS USB connection.

Anyways, found the answer to my question in this recent review by Bloom:

@stephenkostas does a great job in that review!

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #1,387 of 3,839
For folks experiencing the 4.4 issues, thanks for reporting it and your continued feedback. We are taking a deeper look into it, but our current stance is as follows;

Our 4.4mm ports are built to the spec that matches the official Pentacon jack, not a 3rd party reproduction.

I just attempted to unplug Traillii from Gryphon and something has fallen off either the connection on Gryphon or the Traillii jack as per this image. I suspect it is from Gryphon. Can you please advise? This is an official Pentacon jack and the one that was causing me concern, rightly so as is now apparent.

20220118_181805.jpg

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #1,388 of 3,839
I just attempted to unplug Traillii from Gryphon and something has fallen off either the connection on Gryphon or the Traillii jack as per this image. I suspect it is from Gryphon. Can you please advise? This is an official Pentacon jack and the one that was causing me concern, rightly so as is now apparent.

20220118_181805.jpg

Yeesh that sucks. That piece is indeed from the gryphon.

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #1,389 of 3,839

20220118_181805.jpg

Thanks for letting me know about this. This is noted and I will forward it along to the team taking a deeper look into this.

In the meantime, can you please open a support ticket with us? https://support.ifi-audio.com/

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #1,390 of 3,839
If your cables are not working, it's likely because the 4.4mm pentaconn connection on the cable is slightly too small or too large.

@Sebastien Chiu That's kind of a strange statement, considering the number of users reporting this issue. Also, on my case, I assure you that my Pentacon connector cables work flawlessly with all my equipments (dozens of it) EXCEPT with Gryphon and Hip-Dac !!

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #1,391 of 3,839
@Sebastien Chiu That's kind of a strange statement, considering the number of users reporting this issue. Also, on my case, I assure you that my Pentacon connector cables work flawlessly with all my equipments (dozens of it) EXCEPT with Gryphon and Hip-Dac !!

I also mentioned that we recognize the reports and are looking into it, that statement comes from our experience in the past with the issue!

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #1,392 of 3,839
Yeesh that sucks. That piece is indeed from the gryphon.

Yeah figured it must have been, it was on the jack when it disconnected.

Very disappointed.

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #1,393 of 3,839
Thanks for letting me know about this. This is noted and I will forward it along to the team taking a deeper look into this.

In the meantime, can you please open a support ticket with us? https://support.ifi-audio.com/

I have raised a ticket and will pack up the unit, clearly risky to connect anything else to it.

It's a great product otherwise, I hope a replacement unit will resolve the issue. How long does it take via support?

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #1,394 of 3,839

On the plus side it looks like a guide/retainer cap that'll pop right back in.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #1,395 of 3,839
Easy enough to get a fast answer. If anyone is experiencing tight fit who has access to a micrometer, just measure the Pentaconn plug. It should be 4.4mm +/- 0.05mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back