xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Jan 13, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #1,351 of 3,839
Jan 14, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #1,353 of 3,839
We'll see. If they retain the micro USB ports, they can keep it 😝
If this post is genuine, then it comes with both the Micro & C Type ports for Data transmission. Still using the Micro for charging though:slight_frown:. I guess they wanted it to be compatible with Poly.

I highly doubt it will be as versatile to use as the Gryphon. Having owned both Chord & iFi devices it would probably be hard for me to pick one clear winner over the other, both have their own sound signature and way of presenting music. I guess we'll have to wait and see how much of an improvement Mojo 2 will be over the Mojo.

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #1,357 of 3,839
My Gryphon landed today after a long wait. Very impressed on day 1 - it sounds incredible with every IEM I've tried and is a beautiful unit. Connected to the wonderful DUNU ZEN PRO in this shot...

20220114_213002 copy.jpg

Jan 14, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #1,359 of 3,839
Why does the Gryphon instructional manual say to use the “Lightning to USB Camera Adapter” to connect an iPhone to it? Can’t I just use a Lightning to USB-C cable to connect iPhone to Gryphon?

@iFi audio
The iPhone does not output audio signals from the charging port. The camera adapter has hardware to bypass the iPhone dac so audio can be passed through the charging port to an external dac. It basically allows the lightning port to receive and transmit data through the lightning port.

Jan 14, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #1,360 of 3,839
The iPhone does not output audio signals from the charging port. The camera adapter has hardware to bypass the iPhone dac so audio can be passed through the charging port to an external dac. It basically allows the lightning port to receive and transmit data through the lightning port.

This is not an issue with dongle dac-amps though AFAIK. Lotoo Paw S1/2 and Cayin RU6 don’t need the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter for instance.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #1,361 of 3,839
So you need to used the CCK for iPhone? That's odd and not at all what I was hoping for. I have several other DAC/amps and none of them requires it as long as I have the right cable. Can a fellow iPhone user who has Gryphon confirm? I've been considering a purchase, but that would likely make it a "no".

Jan 14, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #1,362 of 3,839
According to the iFi video below for the Gryphon @ 1:24, it doesn't mention anything about needing the Apple "Lightning to USB Camera Adapter" to connect iPhone/iPad to Gryphon's USB-C input.

However, the user manual says that the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter is needed:

1642222129752.png

So, this is confusing. @iFi audio @Sebastien Chiu, what's the way to connect an iPhone to Gryphon's USB port? I was hoping to avoid having to use the camera adapter, definitely a deal breaker if that's actually the case.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #1,363 of 3,839
So you need to used the CCK for iPhone? That's odd and not at all what I was hoping for. I have several other DAC/amps and none of them requires it as long as I have the right cable. Can a fellow iPhone user who has Gryphon confirm? I've been considering a purchase, but that would likely make it a "no".
You do not NEED the Apple CCK to connect the Gryphon to your iPhone. You can use alternatives, I personally use a DD HiFi lightning to USB C cable and it works just fine connecting to my now archaic iPhone X.

However I believe that iFi are just covering their asses in case Apple decides to update and break something in a future iOS update.

Jan 15, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #1,365 of 3,839
I'm finding the 4.4mm connection very stiff with all of my IEMs - I have to push quite firmly to make the connection, likewise to unplug. Anyone else have this? I've not experienced before, hope not something that could damage the unit or jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back