xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Nov 30, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #647 of 3,828
I left my extensive thoughts between the two recently on the thread—it’s excessively long enough to be reviewish 🤦‍♂️
You did, but you're really the only one. I bought it based on your feedback ultimately

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #648 of 3,828
It is a feature, but that feature can be disabled if you decide you don't want it.
I would prefer it off permamently via hardware :triportsad: Otherwise the point is somewhat moot.

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #649 of 3,828
You did, but you're really the only one. I bought it based on your feedback ultimately
Oh crap, now I’m hoping I don’t disappoint! I’m pretty sure you made the right choice. Please let me know your own thoughts once you get around to playing with it! 🙏

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #650 of 3,828
Does that mean separate port for charging is optional and one can be used for both data and charging? I thought separation was advertised as a hardware feature.
The data port can be used for charging by opting in for this in the settings menu. Default is data only, with the separate USB C port being used for charging.

The nice thing is that you can have the charging port plugged in indefinitely while still using the data port for your music source, so that you never run out of juice. But if you don’t want to mess with two cables and don’t mind the slight potential for power noise bleeding into the signal input, you can just turn on charging on the data port and achieve the same.

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #651 of 3,828
The data port can be used for charging by opting in for this in the settings menu. Default is data only, with the separate USB C port being used for charging.

The nice thing is that you can have the charging port plugged in indefinitely while still using the data port for your music source, so that you never run out of juice. But if you don’t want to mess with two cables and don’t mind the slight potential for power noise bleeding into the signal input, you can just turn on charging on the data port and achieve the same.
Yeah - the dual port functionality is perfect for running off a laptop on a single cable when working away from home 👍🏻

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #652 of 3,828
... listening to the gryphon paired with my empyreans from the 4.4mm balance port, which is the real reason I bought this thing ...
We are on the same page here: Empyreans and 4.4mm balanced port, both main reasons to the decision.
I'm not regretting it so far but I would love to know if you feel the 4.4mm port just a bit too tight with the Meze Pentaconn connectors.
Both my Meze connectors (Empyrean and Rai Penta) are working great with other Dac's but on my iFi products (Hip-Dac and now Gryphon) they need some additional pressure to "engage".

Nov 30, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #653 of 3,828
Hello guys,
I still can’t decide between the Gryphon or the Micro iDSD Signature. I have already read some impressions by srkbear that it sounds identical to the Signature. Is this really the case? It’s hard for me to imagine, that a 750€ DAC/AMP is identical SQ wise to a 600€ one. I know that the most significant difference is the power of the AMP. Do you think Gryphon will be enough for a Monarch MK2 and a HD800 with EQ?

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #654 of 3,828
We are on the same page here: Empyreans and 4.4mm balanced port, both main reasons to the decision.
I'm not regretting it so far but I would love to know if you feel the 4.4mm port just a bit too tight with the Meze Pentaconn connectors.
Both my Meze connectors (Empyrean and Rai Penta) are working great with other Dac's but on my iFi products (Hip-Dac and now Gryphon) they need some additional pressure to "engage".
Ahh, I'm not sure. I switched out the meze cables for Hart cables on day one, and their 4.4mm interconnect fits just fine into the gryphon.

Nov 30, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #656 of 3,828
I am assuming the screen on the Gryphon is some form of plastic. Any commentary on scratch resistance? I haven't been brave enough to peel the shipping strip off yet!

Dec 1, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #657 of 3,828
I am assuming the screen on the Gryphon is some form of plastic. Any commentary on scratch resistance? I haven't been brave enough to peel the shipping strip off yet!
I joked earlier that "it scratches at a level 6 with deeper groves at a level 7" at least one person got the joke. :wink:

Anyway if Jerry does get a Gryphon for review we will know, but I'm not scratching mine deliberately. I would say the display feels warmer to the touch than the metal body so my guess is its plastic and will scratch relatively easy.

I'm not too worried because great devices like this live with the owner 24/7 and if after five years its still working trouble free but with a few signs of age I will be happy.

Dec 1, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #658 of 3,828
In the past 24 hours since I've had the Gryphon I've run into an issue a few times. It seems that randomly when I connect it to my Mac (and turn it on) the volume jumps to +6dB maximum volume. A couple of times I didn't notice ant it almost blew my ears off. Has anyone else had this issue?

Dec 1, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #659 of 3,828
In the past 24 hours since I've had the Gryphon I've run into an issue a few times. It seems that randomly when I connect it to my Mac (and turn it on) the volume jumps to +6dB maximum volume. A couple of times I didn't notice ant it almost blew my ears off. Has anyone else had this issue?
I guess you haven't been reading this thread lately? :sweat_smile: It's a known issue that should be resolved with new firmware soon.

Dec 1, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #660 of 3,828
I guess you haven't been reading this thread lately? :sweat_smile: It's a known issue that should be resolved with new firmware soon.
Haha - ok great. I did a search but didn't see any posts relating to this. Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back