xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Dec 1, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #676 of 3,834
@ozz007 tidal app via iPhone reports correct bitrate for me (shows OFS instead of MQA though) and Roon reports full unfold on my PC.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #677 of 3,834
I am waiting for mine to arrive, and the issues with the volume mentioned on the posts is a cause of concern to me, if an expensive set of earbuds or headphones are damaged by this volume issue who is responsible for this??? IFi??/
I'd be more worried about my ears

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #678 of 3,834
Dec 1, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #679 of 3,834
@ozz007 tidal app via iPhone reports correct bitrate for me (shows OFS instead of MQA though) and Roon reports full unfold on my PC.
Thanks I used the pc for the zen dacs v2, they never display the correct information.

Thats why I returned them.

Dec 1, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #680 of 3,834
Can you guys verified that the griphon works as intended with tidal?

Or only does 44100 and 48000?
Definitely plays all the way to Tidal Masters MQA Studio 192 in my setup.

Dec 1, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #681 of 3,834
Unfortunately the Tidal iPhone app doesn’t allow MQA pass through and automatically performs the first unfold, which is why you’re getting OFS. If you host Tidal through the Roon iPhone app, set device MQA capability to “Decoder and Renderer” and turn off initial MQA unfold, you can get MQA Studio from your phone with the Gryphon (as long as you don’t activate any DSPs to interfere with the bit perfect signal). If you intend to use DSPs in Roon, turn on the initial unfold and set device as a decoder and renderer and you’ll get the equivalent of MQA studio no matter what signal type it’s showing you.

Dec 2, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #682 of 3,834
Unfortunately the Tidal iPhone app doesn’t allow MQA pass through and automatically performs the first unfold, which is why you’re getting OFS. If you host Tidal through the Roon iPhone app, set device MQA capability to “Decoder and Renderer” and turn off initial MQA unfold, you can get MQA Studio from your phone with the Gryphon (as long as you don’t activate any DSPs to interfere with the bit perfect signal). If you intend to use DSPs in Roon, turn on the initial unfold and set device as a decoder and renderer and you’ll get the equivalent of MQA studio no matter what signal type it’s showing you.
I dont used a phone I used a PC

Dec 2, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #683 of 3,834
Can you guys verified that the griphon works as intended with tidal?

Or only does 44100 and 48000?
Mine doesn't no, Tidal + Gryphon are a no-go until iFi fix this.

As others have said it gets the "unfolded" bit-rate wrong sometimes and just selecting a different album to play causes seemingly random volume jumps. There is also a little pop as the track starts playing and the Gryphon switches from PCM to MQA mode, not always though.

Its not fit for purpose as it stands with Tidal Masters over USB. anyone who doesn't care for Masters, then I would say its still a great purchase.

Dec 2, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #685 of 3,834
Received mine a few hours ago, I find no GTO filter unfortunately. The unit is new and playing to my utopia with roon by usb connected to an iPad.

I have a question for the users already have it, does the unit change with time? I feel at least with the utopia out of the box that the clarity or separation is a little congested..

the hardware design is beautiful and until now is working as expected, strange the manual mentions the gto filter and is non existent. MQA works perfectly.

Dec 2, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #687 of 3,834
Feedback: Using gryphon on the computer side, the player is audirvana, it cannot automatically recognize that gryphon is a device that can decode mqa and must be specified manually. And changing the earphones during playback will cause no output, you must replug the gryphon, close the program and reopen it to be normal. I don't know if it is a software problem or a gryphon problem.

Dec 2, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #688 of 3,834
I have some IFi dac’s. The go blu is one of them, also have the first hip Dac, the idsd black, the ipro idsd and today received the gryphon.

I love the go blu…
This was a reference to the full volume problem, not the SQ.

Dec 2, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #690 of 3,834
Sorry. Until now I did not had the volume problem, But I did not tried in a computer, I will use it essentially for my mobile devices.
No worries, I'm sure they'll get it sorted. I hope they release a firmware with no shared volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back