xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Nov 29, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #616 of 3,834
From what I understand the volume pot is an encoder which digitally controls the resistor array (like a digitally switched/controlled stepped antenuator). They say it works in the analogue domain as it's still resistors antentuating the signal rather than being done by modifying the digital signal (such as turning volume down on your phone).

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #617 of 3,834
So I'm using this in MQA mode with Tidal running on a Windows 10 machine and every time the track changes, the volume changes, seemingly random. The volume levels that get set do not seem consistent between tracks, or bitrate. I can play Track 1 and dial in -32dB, then it jumps to -50dB on Track 2, and -21dB on Track 3. Playing these same 3 tracks again I will set my volume back to -32dB on Track 1, Track 2 jumps to -16dB, and Track 3 at -25dB.

I am not disconnecting/reconnecting the device, or touching the volume control on the PC at all -- only adjusting via the volume knob on the gryphon. It has jumped as high as -15dB unprompted when I was previously listening at -40. As it currently stands I do not feel safe using the device in this mode for fear of damaging my headphones or my ears. Loudness normalization is disabled.

edit: After enabling Passthrough MQA & re-connecting the gryphon, the device volume is no longer fluctuating. Not sure why that would impact volume but the issue seems resolved :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #618 of 3,834
Tidal on the PC is the same too.

I can be listening happily at say -30dB, then disconnect and reconnect my Gryphon and the volume jumps to +6dB when its reconnected, with the music playing where it left off.

Its quite annoying and a little dangerous, I would say its its an issue that iFi should seriously be considering recalling units over. Even if a quick fix is implemented now how can iFi ensure every owner has updated their unit.

Beware that, even without disconnecting the Gryphon, it also occured once with me just changing from one music album to another within Tidal (albums with different bitrates) !
iFi should urgently investigate this please !

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #619 of 3,834
I can also play the same track multiple times and on one playthrough the gryphon will show MQA 44k and if I jump to another track then back to the same track it will show MQA 96k...

These are unfortunately pretty deal-breaking issues, if not resolved quickly.

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #620 of 3,834
Beware that, even without disconnecting the Gryphon, it also occured once with me just changing from one music album to another within Tidal (albums with different bitrates) !
iFi should urgently investigate this please !
I did confirm that with Roon the volume issues are not evident, but I am experiencing volume jumps occasionally when connected through my iPhone.

IFi has yet to post firmware downloads for the Gryphon and I suspect they’re working on this before doing so…

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #621 of 3,834
So I'm using this in MQA mode with Tidal running on a Windows 10 machine and every time the track changes, the volume changes, seemingly random. The volume levels that get set do not seem consistent between tracks, or bitrate. I can play Track 1 and dial in -32dB, then it jumps to -50dB on Track 2, and -21dB on Track 3. Playing these same 3 tracks again I will set my volume back to -32dB on Track 1, Track 2 jumps to -16dB, and Track 3 at -25dB.

I am not disconnecting/reconnecting the device, or touching the volume control on the PC at all -- only adjusting via the volume knob on the gryphon. It has jumped as high as -15dB unprompted when I was previously listening at -40. As it currently stands I do not feel safe using the device in this mode for fear of damaging my headphones or my ears.

The exact same thing has just happened with me !!

This is a serious problem !!

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #623 of 3,834
The exact same thing has just happened with me !!

This is a serious problem !!
I think it will be fixed. We’re on the first generation firmware. Let’s give iFi some time to address it; I don’t think we’re at code red yet. ☺️

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #624 of 3,834
I can also play the same track multiple times and on one playthrough the gryphon will show MQA 44k and if I jump to another track then back to the same track it will show MQA 96k...

These are unfortunately pretty deal-breaking issues, if not resolved quickly.
IFi hasn’t even posted the first generation firmware on their site yet and they’ve reassured on here several times that they’re on this. The Gryphon is one of their most sophisticated and well-designed products they’ve ever released—I say we give them a chance to respond before we send potential customers screaming to the hills 😉

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #625 of 3,834
From what I understand the volume pot is an encoder which digitally controls the resistor array (like a digitally switched/controlled stepped antenuator). They say it works in the analogue domain as it's still resistors antentuating the signal rather than being done by modifying the digital signal (such as turning volume down on your phone).
That’s what I thought (and hoped). Digital volume potentiometers make a mess of the bit perfect signal with a bunch of iffy computations and iFi has always promoted their analog volume controls as one of their hard stop values—it would be a big departure for them to reverse on this for their most recent flagship portable. Looking forward to hearing their explanation on here to confirm. Thanks for your own clarification, which makes sense.

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #626 of 3,834
Silly question but have all you guys using Tidal checked that volume normalisation is set to OFF in settings?
correct, loudness normalization is disabled

IFi hasn’t even posted the first generation firmware on their site yet and they’ve reassured on here several times that they’re on this. The Gryphon is one of their most sophisticated and well-designed products they’ve ever released—I say we give them a chance to respond before we send potential customers screaming to the hills 😉
I don't doubt they're aware of this and working on it, but at this moment in time it absolutely is something anyone who's purchased this device and is reading this thread should be aware of before they plug expensive headphones into it.

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #627 of 3,834
correct, loudness normalization is disabled

I don't doubt they're aware of this and working on it, but at this moment in time it absolutely is something anyone who's purchased this device and is reading this thread should be aware of before they plug expensive headphones into it.
No argument there and I’m glad folks have brought it to their attention. Peace.

Nov 29, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #628 of 3,834
Is the volume controlled on the analog end of the signal or is this a full digital volume pot?

The attenutaion process itself is analog (an analog resistor ladder inside a chip), but it's controlled in the digital domain.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 29, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #629 of 3,834
Silly question but have all you guys using Tidal checked that volume normalisation is set to OFF in settings?
I have. Also have with Roon, which I always use sans DSP alterations. And I must admit that using my iPhone as a Roon endpoint with the Gryphon, I haven’t noticed any volume fluctuations or issues—with Tidal or otherwise. I have noticed some connectivity glitches that I chalk up to my phone being on a developer beta. I’ll see if they resolve once I move to a stable release.

Nov 29, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #630 of 3,834
The attenutaion process itself is analog (an analog resistor ladder inside a chip), but it's controlled in the digital domain.
Thank you, so this obviates any degradation in signal quality inherent to strict digital volume pots?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back