xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Nov 18, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #331 of 3,834
The new version of HibyMusic provides an opportunity to connect streaming services in-app. But I haven't tested it as don't use android and on iOS HibyLink - it's total crap :frowning2:
😛 Cool! But iOS user as well…😅

Nov 18, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #332 of 3,834
Royal Mail let Ifi and me down, it seems the parcel got stuck at Preston Mail Centre. This is despite Ifi paying for the Special Delivery by 1pm service. I will get onto Ifi and let them know so they can reclaim the postage cost if they choose to.

Apparently this is due to Covid and a shortage of personnel, I'm not sure if this will affect all units shipped from Ifi headquarters yesterday or just mine.

So no comparisons or impressions from me today, sorry. :frowning2:

Nov 18, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #333 of 3,834
The micro iDSD Signature and specially the Diablo had issues if they should play music during charging the device. They were getting quite warm, the Diablo even hot. Does the Gryphon have the same issue?

I am currently considering to buy this. Because I think this small unit can replace just everything I have atm. Enough power to drive my full size headphone, battery operated to be mobil, bluetooth (no need to connect it via cable with the smartphone, balanced outputs and MQA decoder.

Just be patient.. reviews (including my own) will be coming soon.

Nov 19, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #334 of 3,834
Just be patient.. reviews (including my own) will be coming soon.
Thank you. But to be honest, I do not need full reviews to be able to get an answer for my single question. My main concern with Signature and specially Diablo was the temperature if I charge the device while playing music. If this will be the case with the new unit as well, I will maybe not purchase it. But I have no pressure and looking forward

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #335 of 3,834
My main concern with Signature and specially Diablo was the temperature if I charge the device while playing music.
I do it sometimes with my Diablo. I never though that there is an issue here with the temperature...

Nov 19, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #336 of 3,834
Might be stupid question but will this work with a SE 3.5mm output? I’m getting a Meze Liric and it comes with a se 3.5mm cable.

The Gryphon says it had a 3.5mm balanced output but will a non balanced se cable work in that same hole?

Nov 19, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #338 of 3,834
The Gryphon says it had a 3.5mm balanced output but will a non balanced se cable work in that same hole?
Usually this is a combined output TRS (SE)/TRRS (S-Balanced). So yes, this should work.
This works on other ifi audio devices with S-balance, at least.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #339 of 3,834
Yes the 3.5mm socket works fine with a normal 3.5mm plug as @qsk78 said. To be honest I've done comparison testing between S-Balanced and SE from the output of my xDSD and can hear no difference, the difference is very subtle and probably only detectable on measurement equipment

Gryphon is at home but I'm at work today. :frowning2:

1637321939474.png

Nov 19, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #341 of 3,834
Yes the 3.5mm socket works fine with a normal 3.5mm plug as @qsk78 said. To be honest I've done comparison testing between S-Balanced and SE from the output of my xDSD and can hear no difference, the difference is very subtle and probably only detectable on measurement equipment

Gryphon is at home but I'm at work today. :frowning2:

The S-balanced requires a 3.5 TRRS plug with specific wiring, correct? I'm finding the S-balanced thing confusing.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #342 of 3,834
The S-balanced requires a 3.5 TRRS plug with specific wiring, correct? I'm finding the S-balanced thing confusing.
Yes correct, I have a 3.5mm TRRS to Pentacon adaptor that I use mostly as my Night Owl headphone has 4.4mm.

Here is the ifi connection diagram, it doesn't help that its called "balanced" here and not s-balanced. They certainly do add to the confusion but essentially what they are saying is a 3.5mm plug can be s-balanced and true balanced, the device plugged doesn't really know or care.

Balanced-or-single-ended-300x128.jpg

Nov 19, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #343 of 3,834
Yes correct, I have a 3.5mm TRRS to Pentacon adaptor that I use mostly as my Night Owl headphone has 4.4mm.

Here is the ifi connection diagram, it doesn't help that its called "balanced" here and not s-balanced. They certainly do add to the confusion but essentially what they are saying is a 3.5mm plug can be s-balanced and true balanced, the device plugged doesn't really know or care.

Balanced-or-single-ended-300x128.jpg

Thank you!

So 3.5mm single-ended is just normal (not really enhanced in any way - despite the marketing). I assume there is no advantage for the 3.5 TRRS over the 4.4 mm for balanced operation?

Nov 19, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #344 of 3,834
I just received the unit and haven’t had a chance to prove this concept yet—although the device has a power level LED that has a cutoff of 85% before it turns from yellow to green, so unless there is some other factor influencing how this indicator operates, it should be easy enough to prove. I’ll let mine power down to red then give this test a try and get back!
Have you had the chance to test this?

Nov 19, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #345 of 3,834
Thank you!

So 3.5mm single-ended is just normal (not really enhanced in any way - despite the marketing). I assume there is no advantage for the 3.5 TRRS over the 4.4 mm for balanced operation?
Yes normal 3.5mm single ended is just that, normal single ended.

S-Balanced is designed to reduce the cross-talk that "may" occur in the headphone/IEM cable itself by keeping the ground connection in the wire separate, L/R channels still share a common ground at the amp so we still have Gnd/Left/Right signals it's simply that the grounds for the left/right channels are on separate conductors with S-Balanced connections.

This if different from true balanced which has R+ R- L+ and L- signals for true differential operation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_signalling

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back