xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Nov 17, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #301 of 3,839
I just got a dispatched notification from Amazon so I may get mine tomorrow if RM deliver and I have a day off work by coincidence to compare it with the original xDSD. I will be here to share my findings.
Can’t wait 😛!
Could you also do picture comparisons (for example size wise)?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #302 of 3,839
This is shown in the promo pic on Ifi's product page so I would think its what is included.

Gryphon-WITB-.jpg
Thank you so much 👍👍👍

Nov 17, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #304 of 3,839
Is this plug in play when connected to USB to a Windows or Apple computer? or do I have to install drivers first?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #307 of 3,839
Not sure about Apple but you can Plug & Play the device on Windows. You will need drivers for ASIO and for firmware updates though.
Thanks! I assumed this was the case but the reason I ask was I saw on this youtube video () that it needed drivers first:

1637191980042.png

Did you have one on hand that you confirmed it was plug n play?

Nov 18, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #310 of 3,839
No, I have other iFi products like Zen DAC, iDSD Signature & Hip-DAC those did not require drivers for me.
Hmm...I would think the Gryphon would be plug and play as well then. But strange that youtube video says I need to download the drivers first. @iFi audio can confirm if it's plug and play?

Nov 18, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #311 of 3,839
Thanks! I assumed this was the case but the reason I ask was I saw on this youtube video () that it needed drivers first:

1637191980042.png

Did you have one on hand that you confirmed it was plug n play?

Hmm...I would think the Gryphon would be plug and play as well then. But strange that youtube video says I need to download the drivers first. @iFi audio can confirm if it's plug and play?

The Gryphon is indeed plug and play.

For maximum functionality though, I'd recommend installing our drivers when you are able to!

Nov 18, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #312 of 3,839
The Gryphon is indeed plug and play.

For maximum functionality though, I'd recommend installing our drivers when you are able to!
Aww thanks for the confirmation! Yea I didn't want to have to install drivers to every single computer before using it. Guess I'll be ordering the Gryphon then!

Nov 18, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #313 of 3,839
Ok. Sharing my listening comparisons of the Gryphon vs Yin Lu Mei (YLM) M400plus portable dac bluetooth amp.

My setup:
1) Noble Audio Encore customs
2) Eletech Socrates 4.4mm balanced cables
3) Streaming from mobile phone via LDAC with Tidal app

YLM wins:
1) YLM sounds more musical, full-bodied than Gryphon
2) YLM's bass hits deeper, more 'slam' than Gryphon (even with Bass+ and Bass + Presence enabled for the latter)
3) There is faint hissing with Gryphon. After i enabled iEMatch for 4.4, hissing is gone. However, i felt that dynamic range is reduced / compressed.

I keep going back to the YLM, sounds more enjoyable especially the bass. My quick personal observations, no flamming please... :)

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #314 of 3,839
Just got this yesterday, charged it to full and now finally can take an audition with Apple Music Lossless on iPhone 12 Pro Max. My initial impression: Wow! Love the neutral (or a little hint of warmth) tone and very musical! I have everything set to default (no XSpace / no XBass) and exactly what I am expecting!!

I own a hip-Dac (which I will pass it to my brother free), a Cayin N3Pro and a FiiO M11 Plus Ltd. Yet this new gear will certainly become my companion for the coming weeks.

Very happy to have this!

ifi xDSD Gryphon.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #315 of 3,839
Just got this yesterday, charged it to full and now finally can take an audition with Apple Music Lossless on iPhone 12 Pro Max. My initial impression: Wow! Love the neutral (or a little hint of warmth) tone and very musical! I have everything set to default (no XSpace / no XBass) and exactly what I am expecting!!

I own a hip-Dac (which I will pass it to my brother free), a Cayin N3Pro and a FiiO M11 Plus Ltd. Yet this new gear will certainly become my companion for the coming weeks.

Very happy to have this!

Does that show where its made? And what headphones you rocking with it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back