xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Nov 18, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #316 of 3,839
Just got this yesterday, charged it to full and now finally can take an audition with Apple Music Lossless on iPhone 12 Pro Max. My initial impression: Wow! Love the neutral (or a little hint of warmth) tone and very musical! I have everything set to default (no XSpace / no XBass) and exactly what I am expecting!!

I own a hip-Dac (which I will pass it to my brother free), a Cayin N3Pro and a FiiO M11 Plus Ltd. Yet this new gear will certainly become my companion for the coming weeks.

Very happy to have this!

ifi xDSD Gryphon.jpg
How is the sound compared to Fiio M11Plus?

Nov 18, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #317 of 3,839
Good point.
I think the main challenge for the Gryphon would be its positioning vs DAPs of this size and this price category (500-700 USD).
It should sound better than any DAP in this niche, right? Just to justify its usage with a smartphone on the go (2 devices), at least, instead of just one DAP in your pocket...

Nov 18, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #318 of 3,839
Just to justify its usage with a smartphone on the go (2 devices), at least, instead of just one DAP in your pocket...
Hmmm....I hear that argument often with devices like the Gryphon, but I feel one thing is usually forgotten: Ask yourself how often you leave your house without your smartphone in your pocket? In what situations do you really carry just one device? Most people carry their smartphone anyway "on the go", right? And if you listen in a crowded train while typing messages, for example (a very common scenario for many commuters like myself), I think there is no doubt that it is much more convenient to just leave the "music source" in your pocket when skipping to the next track instead of fiddling around with two devices. There are many, many of similar situations! Add the advantage of the modern and superfast interface of your phone (compared to the often quickly outdated interface or OS of many DAPs) and the ability to even "hand over" the music interface to the bigger screen of your computer or iPad from time to time or connect to your TV - you already have three very good reasons to favor a device like the Gryphon to a DAP.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #319 of 3,839
Good point.
I think the main challenge for the Gryphon would be its positioning vs DAPs of this size and this price category (500-700 USD).
It should sound better than any DAP in this niche, right? Just to justify its usage with a smartphone on the go (2 devices), at least, instead of just one DAP in your pocket...

And this is my quandary. I have an old NW-ZX1 DAP and want to upgrade, but I stream more and more and this product has peaked my interest. Am I right in thinking the volume knob is Analogue, but a digital pot? i.e. using CyberSync? Whereas the HIPDAC has a direct analogue pot?

Nov 18, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #320 of 3,839
and the ability to even "hand over" the music interface to the bigger screen of your computer or iPad from time to time or connect to your TV - you already have three very good reasons to favor a device like the Gryphon to a DAP.
This is a good point too.
I was looking at it from the Diablo owner position who can consider the Gryphon for on the go application only.
That's why I do not take some other aspects into account...

Nov 18, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #321 of 3,839
Good point.
Dont understand that 2 devices in your pocket.
Anyone goes outside without a phone? 🤣🤣🤣

Nov 18, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #323 of 3,839
Dont understand that 2 devices in your pocket.
Anyone goes outside without a phone? 🤣🤣🤣
I have to carry two phones with me since I have a company iphone 8 with 32 Gb memory (no LDAC, nothing - it's just useless for BT streaming) and Samsung a41 which I use as a digital transport only :slight_smile:

Nov 18, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #324 of 3,839
But u can get away with the cable if u get a dap
If you go BT with the Gryphon it will be the same as with a DAP. And my experience tells me you won’t hear much of a sq difference in situations when BT is practical (standing in a crowded train, for example)! For critical listening you will sit down properly, right? Then you can go wired with an iPad, for example, and have the same sq as a DAP on an even bigger screen!

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #326 of 3,839
I found an xcan deal on Amazon since I couldn't find gryphon anywhere. Will compare today to signature.

Nov 18, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #327 of 3,839
Dap has few benefits over things like Dac/Amp. It won't need the battery of your phone to stream. Besides, you can just hide dap in a jacket/bag and have wired connection quality in a pocket with the opportunity to control it via apps like Hiby link or just BT rm controller, while with DAC/amp use it on the go wired with your phone it is hell. But ofc it's quite easy over LDAC.
Unfortunately,an iPhone can't stream over LDAC:frowning2:

Nov 18, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #328 of 3,839
Besides, you can just hide dap in a jacket/bag and have wired connection quality in a pocket with the opportunity to control it via apps like Hiby link or just BT rm controller, while with DAC/amp use it on the go wired with your phone it is hell.
True, but so far there is no control app to control offline tracks of a streaming service stored on a dap, right?

Nov 18, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #329 of 3,839
True, but so far there is no control app to control offline tracks of a streaming service stored on a dap, right?
The new version of HibyMusic provides an opportunity to connect streaming services in-app. But I haven't tested it as don't use android and on iOS HibyLink - it's total crap :frowning2:

Nov 18, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #330 of 3,839
The micro iDSD Signature and specially the Diablo had issues if they should play music during charging the device. They were getting quite warm, the Diablo even hot. Does the Gryphon have the same issue?

I am currently considering to buy this. Because I think this small unit can replace just everything I have atm. Enough power to drive my full size headphone, battery operated to be mobil, bluetooth (no need to connect it via cable with the smartphone, balanced outputs and MQA decoder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back