xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Nov 6, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #76 of 3,834
Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #77 of 3,834
what wrong if i ask again if still not yet given the answer?

i read from the product page and confuse with the photo and spec.
photo show line in for 4.4 and 3.5.
but from the spec i see line section have output so i want to confirm is there line output

In the manual:

17. Balanced 4.4mm line input/output
a) Output (variable) - when the input mode is USB, Bluetooth or S/PDIF
b) Input - when the input mode is Line

18. Single-ended 3.5mm input/output
a) Output (variable) - when the input mode is USB, Bluetooth or S/PDIF
b) Input - when the input mode is Line
So when using USB / Bluetooth / SPDIF (= using xDSD-G in DAC mode), then the 3.5mm and 4.4mm output on the back will act as variable line output. When using xDSD-G in Line mode (= as amp mode), the 3.5mm / 4.4mm on the back become input.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #78 of 3,834
When is this available in the uk?

Nov 6, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #79 of 3,834
great poduct. however, the problem i have again: you pay so much for all the different bluetooth connections. all of them will be soon outdated since qualcomm introduced aptx lossless - which will be a pure game changer in the bluetooth / wired marked anyway. i would like to have the exact same product but without the outdated bluetooth functions.

Nov 6, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #80 of 3,834
great poduct. however, the problem i have again: you pay so much for all the different bluetooth connections. all of them will be soon outdated since qualcomm introduced aptx lossless - which will be a pure game changer in the bluetooth / wired marked anyway. i would like to have the exact same product but without the outdated bluetooth functions.
See my previous post. Aptx Lossless is not technically a new codec. It is based on aptx Adaptive and basically just using the same codec but extending the sample rate from 24/48 to 24/96. The current Qualcomm SoC that supports aptx Adaptive should have no problem supporting aptx Lossless on hardware level.

Nov 6, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #81 of 3,834
wow, ok. i have to read that in detail later. so many different reviewers say that with aptx lossless anything else becomes immediately outdated. interesting.

Nov 6, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #82 of 3,834
Surprised to come across this at a local dealer today, became an impulse buy.
So far it is driving my Timeless and LXSE fairly well. From what I am hearing it tightens up the bass a bit (compared to my PAW6000)
The feature set is very nice, sound is clean and fairly neutral with the slightest tint of warmth. Will have to shop around for a 4.4mm to 4.4mm interconnect to try it out as a balanced amp later on.

Attachments

• 5BA9B72F-3B2D-4D73-B566-A379E3B23520.jpeg
    5BA9B72F-3B2D-4D73-B566-A379E3B23520.jpeg
    753.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 217ADA16-C882-4E70-B548-381CB76B7F9B.jpeg
    217ADA16-C882-4E70-B548-381CB76B7F9B.jpeg
    987 KB · Views: 0
  • 57AFEB9E-7930-4760-B3CE-43CD60C4B7AF.jpeg
    57AFEB9E-7930-4760-B3CE-43CD60C4B7AF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Nov 6, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #83 of 3,834
wow, ok. i have to read that in detail later. so many different reviewers say that with aptx lossless anything else becomes immediately outdated. interesting.

It is also worth noting that Qualcomm advertised aptx Lossless as being digitally transparent on 16/44.1 level (*CD quality), even though it is going to be transmitted at 24/96. There are however multiple measurement from different parties over the years that showed that, Sony's LDAC 990kbps (which is also 24/96) already has the capability to transmit digitally transparent sound on 16/44.1 level, so what Qualcomm said about aptx Lossless is not really anything ground breaking, at least regarding the lossless part.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #85 of 3,834
For the bluetoorh, the true ground breaking change may be lc3?

For efficiency, maybe. For SQ? I have my doubt. LC3 is still in its own a lossy codec, even on the 16/44.1 level. It has better efficiency than SBC, so stability will improve (as you can send a smaller data of LC3 to get the same result as SBC, or the same data pf LC3 to get better SQ than SBC). However, we already have codec that are giving / going to give us audio transparency at 16/44.1, and BT5.2 will allow for higher audio bandwidth (which is one of the biggest factor on why current codec can't be truly lossless at 24/96) for further improvement for a true Hi-res codec. What LC3 does is to improve SQ for BT devices that can't use aptX Adaptive or LDAC. It will more likely be a direct competition to codec such as AAC and aptX, or maybe aptx HD. The biggest winner likely going to be Apple's user since they are stuck with AAC. As LC3 is an official standard by the Bluetooth group, Apple will have to implement it on all their BT devices instead of blocking all other third party BT codec as they do now.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #86 of 3,834
See my previous post. Aptx Lossless is not technically a new codec. It is based on aptx Adaptive and basically just using the same codec but extending the sample rate from 24/48 to 24/96. The current Qualcomm SoC that supports aptx Adaptive should have no problem supporting aptx Lossless on hardware level.
But I've read it will only be available on Qualcomm "Snapdragon Sound SoCs" whatever that means! I don't know the SoC on current gen Qualcomm hardware is considered Snapdragon Sound.

Nov 6, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #87 of 3,834
Surprised to come across this at a local dealer today, became an impulse buy.
So far it is driving my Timeless and LXSE fairly well. From what I am hearing it tightens up the bass a bit (compared to my PAW6000)
The feature set is very nice, sound is clean and fairly neutral with the slightest tint of warmth. Will have to shop around for a 4.4mm to 4.4mm interconnect to try it out as a balanced amp later on.
Lucky you! Have you maybe heard the "original" XDSD before and can compare? I would also be very interested in a size comparison! By the way, is the volume wheel made from metal now and is the housing aluminium?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #88 of 3,834
But I've read it will only be available on Qualcomm "Snapdragon Sound SoCs" whatever that means! I don't know the SoC on current gen Qualcomm hardware is considered Snapdragon Sound.
Yep, it means, at least at the moment, you'll need a smartphone with Snapdragon 888 processor to meet the basic requirement of 'Snapgradon Sound', meaning aptx Lossless support. However, having Snapdragon 888 on its own doesn't automatically equal to 'Snapdragon Sound' as I believe it required both software implementation as well as Qualcomm official certification. There are already a few smartphones in the market that have the Snapdragon Sound certification, XiaoMi Mi 11 Pro and Mi 11 Ultra for examples.

Nov 6, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #89 of 3,834
In the manual:

So when using USB / Bluetooth / SPDIF (= using xDSD-G in DAC mode), then the 3.5mm and 4.4mm output on the back will act as variable line output. When using xDSD-G in Line mode (= as amp mode), the 3.5mm / 4.4mm on the back become input.
thx, got it

Nov 6, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #90 of 3,834
Lucky you! Have you maybe heard the "original" XDSD before and can compare? I would also be very interested in a size comparison! By the way, is the volume wheel made from metal now and is the housing aluminium?
Has been a very long time since demoed the older XDSD, so not much of a memory to recall. Size is surprisingly on the large side, width and length has increased, but retains same thickness.
Yes the volume nob is aluminium matching the main body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back