xDSD Gryphon: birth of a ‘head-fi’ legend
Nov 6, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #106 of 3,839
So is it fine using it as desktop dac/amp or it constantly charge and discharges the battery? Micro iDSD had an option to power on before or after plugging USB to bypass charging

If I don't have the option to bypass the battery so that it runs off USB power from my PC then that's a deal breaker for me.

Nov 6, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #107 of 3,839
Hi, how do you know that xbass is a sub bass gain and truebass is low bass gain? Is there an official post or something like that?
I read that in a couple of ahead-of-release reviews of the product—trying to find the reference. I may be mistaken.

I admit their nomenclature is confusing—they’re calling one of the xBass II’s settings “presence”—which in conventional amplifier terms (especially guitar amps) is supposed to boost frequencies in the 5-7,000 hz range, to give more excitement to vocal ranges and guitar harmonics (the actual frequencies produced by guitars are way lower than that—the high E string on a guitar is 329.83hz).

But this is a feature in their “xBass” section, so boosting high-mids wouldn’t make an ounce of sense. And they already have boosts in this range in their X-Space toggle. Their own release implies that the boost is in the low-mids.

So before I potentially indict myself any further, I’ll wait until my Gryphon arrives early this week and follow up with my direct observations.

PS: I can attest that TrueBass differs from xBass along those sub-bass/low-bass lines. The TrueBass frequency boost is much broader in frequency than the subtle sub-bass enhancement found with xBass and is much more noticeable. The xBass on the Pro iCAN Signature is really odd—a four way switch affecting 10, 20 or 40 hz—I’m pretty sure less than 40 hz is inaudible.

But if the xBass II’s published intent is to allow more customizable ranges of low frequency boosts, it would make sense that one selection is the traditional xBass subtle sub-bass boost, the other is an additional boost to the regions between bass and mids, and the third is a combination of both. We’ll see…

Nov 6, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #108 of 3,839
If I don't have the option to bypass the battery so that it runs off USB power from my PC then that's a deal breaker for me.

https://ifi-audio.com/faqs/how-to-prolong-battery-life-span/
"Charge to ~70% only by turning on the device first before plugging in power."

I'm no fan of putting batteries in everything but Ifi literally makes 5 other DACs without batteries.

Also, if the Gryphon is similar to the original iDSD that I started with several years ago, it's possible to sound better on battery compared to USB power.

Nov 6, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #109 of 3,839
Cool device. It looks pretty neato but...I don't buy any thing that has MQA.

Oh c’mon, isn’t that a bit lofty? ☺️ Many high end audio manufacturers held in the highest esteem have added MQA functionality for those who might want it—I’d hate for you to miss out on the likes of Rotel, Gustard and Mark Levinson just because of that little chip being on board…

Nov 6, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #110 of 3,839
I have the v1 as well. How would you know if it’s with the original XMOS or current? Like you, I have the MDR-Z1R so we have a good reference point. I’m looking for a replacement for my hip dac and am considering the Gryphon or the upcoming Mojo 2.
You can tell by the serial number—the original XMOS starts with 54010 and is compatible with the 5.x firmware series. The later XMOS starts with 54040 and uses the 7.x firmware. It’s not clear which is “better”—on one hand I’ve been told by a former employee of iFi that the original XMOS was terrific but went the way of a supplier contract that went kaplooey; on the other I’ve been told by a current iFi employee that the new XMOS was a quality improvement choice.

To be honest, I think they both sound terrific. All the original iFi products—the micro iDSD BL and the original xDSD still use the 5.x firmware and original XMOS, and continue to get raves; all the newer products use the latest XMOS and the 7.x firmware and get more raves. If you have the older one the only concern I would have would be whether iFi intends to provide ongoing firmware updates to the 5.x versions, which haven’t been refreshed since 2018. But if they don’t need to, it’s all good! ☺️

I have a confession to make though—I decided to trade in my Z1Rs for a Focal Utopia. Don’t hate me! I still have my MDR-1AM2s for 360 Audio, so it’s only a minor betrayal…

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #111 of 3,839
You can tell by the serial number—the original XMOS starts with 54010 and is compatible with the 5.x firmware series. The later XMOS starts with 54040 and uses the 7.x firmware. It’s not clear which is “better”—on one hand I’ve been told by a former employee of iFi that the original XMOS was terrific but went the way of a supplier contract that went kaplooey; on the other I’ve been told by a current iFi employee that the new XMOS was a quality improvement choice.

To be honest, I think they both sound terrific. All the original iFi products—the micro iDSD BL and the original xDSD still use the 5.x firmware and original XMOS, and continue to get raves; all the newer products use the latest XMOS and the 7.x firmware and get more raves. If you have the older one the only concern I would have would be whether iFi intends to provide ongoing firmware updates to the 5.x versions, which haven’t been refreshed since 2018. But if they don’t need to, it’s all good! ☺️

I have a confession to make though—I decided to trade in my Z1Rs for a Focal Utopia. Don’t hate me! I still have my MDR-1AM2s for 360 Audio, so it’s only a minor betrayal…
Sweet! Thanks for the info.

HA! I didn't trade my Z1Rs but I did get the Elites and have only been listening to them.. Poor Z1Rs are in its case but I'm sure I'll listen to it someday. :darthsmile:

Nov 6, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #112 of 3,839
https://ifi-audio.com/faqs/how-to-prolong-battery-life-span/
"Charge to ~70% only by turning on the device first before plugging in power."

I'm no fan of putting batteries in everything but Ifi literally makes 5 other DACs without batteries.

Also, if the Gryphon is similar to the original iDSD that I started with several years ago, it's possible to sound better on battery compared to USB power.
I agree about the battery issue on the original xDSD.

From what their spec sheet says on this new one (albeit I’m still unclear on this “PureWave” technology), they have completely separated the power supply circuitry from the audio chain (eg the separate USB inputs for power and audio data) to prevent any noise cross-contamination between the two. I must say that when it comes to power issues in general, iFi seems to have moved into authority status in that space.

Either way, I’m pretty sure that plugging the device in does not bypass the DC power source to the amp—in other words, the amplification circuit will still be powered by the battery whether it’s connected by USB power or not. Maybe Sebastien or others can confirm this.

Sweet! Thanks for the info.

HA! I didn't trade my Z1Rs but I did get the Elites and have only been listening to them.. Poor Z1Rs are in its case but I'm sure I'll listen to it someday. :darthsmile:
If you do and haven’t done this already, I’d definitely go with a single crystal oxygen-free copper cable! Doesn’t have to be the Kimber one—there’s a bunch of good options out there. I auditioned the stock cable, the Kimber, an aftermarket pure copper option and one that was single crystal silver—the latter two both bested the former in the audible sense. I like the copper better because it’s just so warm and smooth—but if you like bright and sizzling, silver is where it’s at! I am usually a total cynic about this kind of audio voodoo, but I got proven wrong with my ears…

I have the v1 as well. How would you know if it’s with the original XMOS or current? Like you, I have the MDR-Z1R so we have a good reference point. I’m looking for a replacement for my hip dac and am considering the Gryphon or the upcoming Mojo 2.
One thing I forgot to add (and then I’ll shut up)—iFi also upgraded their XMOS again for the Hip DAC v2, Zen DAC v2, and this latest Gryphon, to a 16 core/2000 mips from their second generation 8 bit XMOS to allow full MQA decoding; the former 8 bit chip could only perform MQA rendering. Hence the recent release of a new firmware architecture.

Nov 6, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #114 of 3,839
Nov 6, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #115 of 3,839
At $900 AUD, this is a hard pass. Considering the xCan went for AUD350, this is simply not worth it.

Better to buy a DAP for $900 at this point.

Heck, I got my iMicro Black Label iDSD for AUD1100 with a set of Audeze LCD-2 bundled from Adorama and it was one of the first ones in late 2016.

Nov 6, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #117 of 3,839
That's good news, thank you.

But then you have suggested that it might be not great with my usage. And I explained - there is nothing strange with my usage. 2-3m is also poor and laughable by todays standard, especially that ifi is proudly mentioning BT5.1 chip and its excellent range.
Exactly how far away does one go away from their phone when listening to a portable headphone dac / amp with headphone on listening to music?
actually curious?

Nov 6, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #118 of 3,839
Exactly how far away does one go away from their phone when listening to a portable headphone dac / amp with headphone on listening to music?
actually curious?

I think 20-30 ft radius is reasonable expectation? (interference permitting, and maybe less with higher quality codecs). Enough to walk around a large room or small apartment.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #119 of 3,839
At $900 AUD, this is a hard pass. Considering the xCan went for AUD350, this is simply not worth it.

Better to buy a DAP for $900 at this point.

Heck, I got my iMicro Black Label iDSD for AUD1100 with a set of Audeze LCD-2 bundled from Adorama and it was one of the first ones in late 2016.
Well I never challenge anyone’s priority to mind their wallets, and I’ve been grumpy for awhile about a few of ifi’s recent premium tier releases that are otherwise very tempting but frustratingly, are missing a dealbreaker or two.

But don’t you think this new thing is considerably more capable and feature rich than the xCAN? That was just a portable amp. This tiny thing is packed with:

—a high quality DAC and quite powerful AMP after all, with a 16 core chipset and XMOS pulled right from the Pro iDSD
—5.1 Bluetooth with a full set of codecs
—a more advanced and discrete power supply circuit, and fastidious methods to achieve noise isolation
—a slew of inputs/outputs (including a true balanced pentaconn jack that acts as either an input or an output, and unlike the micro iDSD Signature it has a true balanced pentaconn headphone jack
—ieMatch, PowerMatch, xBass AND xSpace
—full MQA decoding, for those who like that
—more advanced tone controls than any DAC/AMP I know of other than the RME adi-2
—an actual digital GUI, with useful info!

Honestly, I’m pretty amazed with this thing—and I think if it lives up to its specs it’ll run circles around the micro iDSD—I have a Signature and it doesn’t have near the wow factor of this one. just can’t think of any other product in its category that does anywhere close to as much as what they’ve packed into this thing.

And I can’t say I’ve found DAPs to be interchangeable with DAC/amps myself—I had a FiiO M15 that I ended up using as a doorstop because it was such a closed ecosystem that belied any sound customization. Even the flagship DAPs out there don’t have hardware tone controls—which can really come in handy with open-backed cans or to bump up the excitement of genres like rock or hip hop—and I like ifi’s xBass and TrueBass functions because they add a little oomph without mucking with the overall sound.

But to each their own, and I’ll withhold my raves until I actually hear it. ☺️

@Sebastien Chiu

Im going to buy the new xdsd, but It will ve nice if ifi make it ROON TESTED

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-partner-programs

Could send this message for me? 😉

Any images of the packaging? It will be nice to know what extras comes with the Gryphon
My friend, I along with legions others have sent many a message to iFi begging them to update their Roon options, to no avail—there are six Roon tested iFi products and none of them came out before the original xDSD. Fortunately they chose to pack it into their recent Zen Stream (which I love), but no such luck for the Pro iDSD, despite it being a streamer.

I’m praying that since the original xDSD was Roon Tested, this one might just work by accident! Fingers crossed…

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #120 of 3,839
—a high quality DAC and quite powerful AMP after all, with a 16 core chipset and XMOS pulled right from the Pro iDSDl: xCAN has the exact same powerful amp and the DAC is not needed if using BT on the xCan.
—5.1 Bluetooth with a full set of codecs: xCAN had the BT codecs for its time.
—a more advanced and discrete power supply circuit, and fastidious methods to achieve noise isolation: Thats debatable and more marketing speak then anything else.
—a slew of inputs/outputs (including a true balanced pentaconn jack that acts as either an input or an output, and unlike the micro iDSD Signature it has a true balanced pentaconn headphone jack: xCan has balanced input and output.
—ieMatch, PowerMatch, xBass AND xSpace: xCAN has them all as Powermatch is just a fancy name for gain control and the xCan doesnt need IEMatch a it hs nowhere near the Micro series power.
—full MQA decoding, for those who like that: Not sure why i would pay more for less as FLAC is perfectly capable.
—more advanced tone controls than any DAC/AMP I know of other than the RME adi-2: Which one of these is the xCan missing.
—an actual digital GUI, with useful info!: Except the battery level, the GUI is not much chop.

The only major difference is Digital Inputs/DAC and seems like paying for an updated BT codec. $550 for both is madness when an Xcan with BT5 for $100 extra is 90% of the device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back