Xbox 360 vs PS3 vs Wii
Nov 9, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #121 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you being serious? On both accounts?

Well, lets see the numbers:

PS3: Units sold 5.59 million (as of September 30, 2007) (worldwide)

Xbox 360: Worldwide: 13.4 million (as of September 30, 2007)

Wii: Units sold 13.17 million (worldwide)

Got those numbers from wikipedia.

So yeah, the PS3 is getting owned and owned hard.

Personally, I gave up on console gaming after the dreamcast (I did buy an xbox for modifying, but never got around to it unfortunately). I just didn't see the need in console gaming after starcraft came out. The fact that you could connect to battlenet for free and play with another 9 players for free was simply incredible at the time. Free maps and hours of fun gameplay cemented me to a PC for good. Now that war3 has dota....forget consoles. Dota is good enough for me on a permanent basis and again, no need to pay any extra fees to join battlenet.

I just view console games as the same rehashed sequel with some new moves, weapons, characters and updated graphics. It's dull and linear, doesn't excite or motivate me to play at all. Dota is incredible because of the strategy and fun in playing with other people and working together as a single unit to win.

Nov 9, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #122 of 149
Halo 3 grew on me much more quickly than Halo 2 ever did. For that reason, and that reason alone, I bought a 360, and I'm glad I did. The last game to captivate me as much as Halo did was FFX, but single player games just don't do it for me anymore.

As for the PS3, it simply doesn't have enough games...and Brawl doesn't look like it will be played competitively.

Nov 9, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #123 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, lets see the numbers:

PS3: Units sold 5.59 million (as of September 30, 2007) (worldwide)

Xbox 360: Worldwide: 13.4 million (as of September 30, 2007)

Wii: Units sold 13.17 million (worldwide)

in all fairness the 360 has been out longer... of course the 360 had more systems sold this time last year than ps3 does now and the Wii is just spanking both with systems sold in the first year

Nov 9, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #124 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in all fairness the 360 has been out longer... of course the 360 had more systems sold this time last year than ps3 does now and the Wii is just spanking both with systems sold in the first year

Point taken, but if the Wii is spanking both systems this year that definitely tells you a lot about what gamers are looking for nowadays....fun factor over graphics hype.

Have their been any discussions on how price has affected, if at all, the average console age of these systems?

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #125 of 149
gloco, yes the PS3 overall is losing but like necropimp indicated the Xbox360 has been out nearly a full year longer not to mention has had not one but two major platformers. Halo 3 being the obvious massive hit and the only time the 360 has taken a stride against the Wii (which will eventually taper off). Within the next few weeks the Wii is going to see some major releases, notably Mario Galaxy this and next week (should be next week but Best Buy is apparently releasing early).

Once this happens, if one can find a Wii, the Wii will trounce every other system once again. The PS3 is worldwide strong, the Xbox 360 is US-centric. This is a major problem because they can only sell so many to US consumers
smily_headphones1.gif

Still, my question was really does anyone think PC gaming is gaining ground over consoles? From everything I have read I have never not once even had a whiff of a hint that PC gaming was doing anything but marginally well. PC gaming = hardcore gamers (WoW excluded, though obviously a major seller). WoW though doesn't drive hardware sales. CQ, Crysis, Bioshock, Rage...they sell hardware and the number of folks willing to fork over the cost for a crazy video card when teh same cost can buy them a console (or a couple) is apparently decreasing all the time. I don't think PC gaming will ever go away, it is where the R&D gets to hit the streets and the studios get to demonstrate their wonderful work on the high end, but for so many, the PC as a unit in the home is losing significance.

Mobile phone/DAP for music, browsing the web, email
Console for gaming
Toaster for toasting
wink.gif

Many want "appliances" geeks want it all. The hardcores will always stick with the PC but I can't see consoles every losing ground, particulary now that we see what is possible with something like the PS3 in raw power and the Wii and its funky controls. Merge the two for the next gen and that is 10 yrs of cutting age games (if the PS2 is an indication of what a super successful console can do). But with a PC, to be cutting edge on the gaming front, one needs to continually upgrade. Maybe one can do so only ever 3 years or so if they opt not for full on settings, but otherwise...get ready to pony up large every single year.

Quote:

I just view console games as the same rehashed sequel with some new moves, weapons, characters and updated graphics. It's dull and linear, doesn't excite or motivate me to play at all. Dota is incredible because of the strategy and fun in playing with other people and working together as a single unit to win.

And yet I think the EXACT opposite. PC's offer nothing but FPS and MMORPG along with the updated graphics of an RTS...nothing new in actual game play, nothing at all. Even the most cutting edge companies like Valve and id are just throwing out the same stuff with more realistic effects and better physics. Game play on the PC has been stagnant for a very long time. Something like Prince of Persia or even better, Wii Sports, Metroid, Mario Galaxy, these games really offer up the evolution of gaming interaction. Something completely new that no one had yet to implement. The 360 and PS3 took the PC route and just tacked on greater cycles to get realism out there vs. new mechanics offering a different type of fun.

I gave up console gaming back in the early 90's but this generation has really caught my attention. Until Rage comes out, I won't be motivated to upgrade my PC but that game (I'm a sucker for id stuff, even if just because the graphics are sickly awesome) will get my wallet to open up. The Wii though was something special, it really motivated my wife to start gaming and some of my friends...something that would have been unheard of before. Different strokes for different folks, but I doubt that console gaming is "dead" Nintendo is proving that there is a completely untapped market that is far more valuable than the hardcore gamers. The Wii, 13 million units sold and not a single platformer until next week. Totally insane.

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #126 of 149
Quote:

gloco, yes the PS3 overall is losing but like necropimp indicated the Xbox360 has been out nearly a full year longer not to mention has had not one but two major platformers. Halo 3 being the obvious massive hit and the only time the 360 has taken a stride against the Wii (which will eventually taper off). Within the next few weeks the Wii is going to see some major releases, notably Mario Galaxy this and next week (should be next week but Best Buy is apparently releasing early).

Once this happens, if one can find a Wii, the Wii will trounce every other system once again. The PS3 is worldwide strong, the Xbox 360 is US-centric. This is a major problem because they can only sell so many to US consumers
smily_headphones1.gif

Gotta disagree with you that ps3 is worldwide strong, just look at the numbers. Sure, xbox 360 has been out a year longer, but as as necro pointed out: "of course the 360 had more systems sold this time last year than ps3 does now..."

If the xbox 360 is simply outselling the ps3 every month, forget it. Plus, the stark price difference must be keeping regular gamers away and sticking to the 360, wii and pc gaming.

I've been very interested in the wii for its multi-player gaming, but I've honestly lost interest in console gaming, its not what it used to be, in terms of fun factor and originality, save maybe for what nintendo is doing.

Quote:

Still, my question was really does anyone think PC gaming is gaining ground over consoles? From everything I have read I have never not once even had a whiff of a hint that PC gaming was doing anything but marginally well. PC gaming = hardcore gamers (WoW excluded, though obviously a major seller). WoW though doesn't drive hardware sales. CQ, Crysis, Bioshock, Rage...they sell hardware and the number of folks willing to fork over the cost for a crazy video card when teh same cost can buy them a console (or a couple) is apparently decreasing all the time. I don't think PC gaming will ever go away, it is where the R&D gets to hit the streets and the studios get to demonstrate their wonderful work on the high end, but for so many, the PC as a unit in the home is losing significance.

How many PC's are out there? Hundreds of millions. That's a huge market that no console can touch. You might think hardcore gamers are the only PC gamers out there, but imagine the amount of older people who play games that are not in the mainstream.

Gaming has definitely shifted gears; its become so wide spread that there are niche markets for all types of games reach out to specific groups of gamers, mostly in the PC market. That's what makes the PC platform so inviting, the ability to tap an untouched market of potential gamers in comparison to consoles based on the widespread ownership of PC's in comparison to consoles.

So I also disagree that the PC is losing its significance in the home. You practically need a PC to function in society nowadays, especially as a student and a virtual employee, if that's your field of employment (which many are virtual/work-at-home users).

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #127 of 149
Quote:

And yet I think the EXACT opposite. PC's offer nothing but FPS and MMORPG along with the updated graphics of an RTS...nothing new in actual game play, nothing at all.

Go buy warcraft 3, download dota...www.getdota.com and prepare to get divorced...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #128 of 149
Another vote for the Wii......we went out looking at PS3's (Dell has some good deals on) and ended up buying the Wii this week. Main reasons, besides the cost, we're not gamers and the HD-DVD thing isn't that big a deal for us. This is mainly for the kids, and the Wii games seem more targeted at the little ones.

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #129 of 149
Quote:

Nintendo is proving that there is a completely untapped market that is potentially far more valuable than the hardcore gamers. The Wii, 13 million units sold and not a single platformer until next week. Totally insane.

Fixed it for you.
icon10.gif
I'd also classify Wii Sports as a platform seller for Nintendo as it's been far more successful than even Halo 3 at moving units. Without Wii Sports, the Wii would not have the casual gamer base it now sports.

As for the Wii's long term success, who knows. Nintendo took a huge gamble and the dice haven't stopped rolling. There are certainly more casual gamers than hardcore gamers, but that doesn't mean it's more profitable. The Wii still has significant issues it has to solve.
  1. Can Nintendo convince casual gamers to buy games? Unless they can, all the sales numbers mean is that there's going to be a lot of Wiis collecting dust in a year.
  2. Can Nintendo convince third party houses to make games for the Wii? Given the dismal results for third party games so far, this might be a difficult proposition.
  3. Can Nintendo convince casual gamers that the Wii is preferable to Peggle? Tough one here. Peggle rocks.
  4. Is online really the future of gaming? If so, the Wii will have trouble in the future.

Nov 10, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #130 of 149
Good points marvin for sure. So far with the Wii outselling the Xbox and PS3 combined (last time I checked anyway) it would seem that many game houses will be scrambling to tap into that market at least somewhat. Sure there are a ton of casual gamers who bought the system but it seems Nintendo is marketting this towards families and friends, group gaming. I can't see everyone just sticking with Sports (though that is certainly possible). Mario Galaxy and Metroid will prove to be major sellers for the system. Mario Kart and Brawl will turn out to be insanely popular as well. Though after that I don't know what is left in the pipe line. Still, at such a small cost relative to the competition, many families are willing to shell out the funds and likely for a game or two for Christmas vs. going out buying an Xbox360 or PS3 and throwing in a game or two on top of those (though apparently there are plenty of "editions" of the latter twok that include games).

Personally, I am not a heavy gamer but I like competition so the market can grow. Obviously there is a tear in the rift of gaming....power and graphics over gameplay. which equates to more "fun" that will be subjective but no doubt many are finding the Wii fun while many want the same power as the PS3. Throw them together and the 8th gen could be very very very interesting.

PC gaming will never go away but I can't see the sales besting consoles main.y because so few are willing to throw down $500/year on a gfx card. Then another 1000/2 yrs for a system upgrade. The nice thing about a console for many folks is that they invest in the HW and they know that for the life of the console (usually 6 years, sometimes longer like the PS2) they can buy the latest and greatest game and actually play it without worry. This is also great for mom and dad who don't have to keep shelling out for hardware AND software each birthday/christmas.

Nov 26, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #132 of 149
Xbox360
wink.gif

The only PS3 that is reasonably priced can't play my old PS2 games anyway, so I might as well spend even less money and go with the system that has the best games this generation.

Wii? No thanks. I gave up on Nintendo after owning the GameCube for less than a week and returning it for a PS2. You'd think I would have learned to avoid Nintendo after the N64. But I guess I had to play with fire just one more time.

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #133 of 149
I bought the Wii for my kids last year for Xmas.

It really is a lot of fun, the Wii Sports is great. Tennis, bowling.
Warioware is also a great title.

The controller is unique and adds a lot to the game system.

You can definitely get a workout from all the activity, instead of just sitting on the couch pressing buttons on a controller.

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #134 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can definitely get a workout from all the activity, instead of just sitting on the couch pressing buttons on a controller.

I like the wii, but the whole gaming = exercise thing (that's used to promote the system) irks me. Is it really that hard for people to get off their butts and spend ten minutes doing pushups?

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #135 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the wii, but the whole gaming = exercise thing (that's used to promote the system) irks me. Is it really that hard for people to get off their butts and spend ten minutes doing pushups?

YES!
for some lazy idiots like me it is
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back