Xbox 360 vs PS3 vs Wii
Oct 27, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #106 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtkversion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know if the X360 will drop in price for Xmas this year or should I just get one now?

They are releasing a stripped down version of the 360 for le$$.

Oct 27, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #107 of 149
I couldn't care less about how much m$ is gonna lower the cost on the 360, if they can't fix the 3rod issue, there's no point buying it, playing it for awhile till the 3rod hits, then send it back for warranty again and again. I'd the Wii, really nice for FPS but got bored of the games after awhile. I've just started actually seriously playing my PS3...got hooked on R6V and even 1 game is good enough for me to last till UT3/Socom/FFXIII is out lol.

Regardless, the main point for me not getting the 360 now is the reliable issue...I've got the cash ready for m$ as soon as they fully rectify the issue. 35% failure rate (i bet it is helluva more) on the 360 vs 0.2% on the ps3 is unacceptable.

Nov 6, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #108 of 149
I can't believe I'm capable of voting in such a poll let alone making any meaningful commentary.

I have not owned nor played a console since the SNES back in the early 90's. By the time I was in high school, I was focusing more and more on PC gaming and eventually, if I were to game at all, it would be on the PC.

Over the years I was enthralled with the likes of Doom 2, Quake (then 2-4) Worms, Half-Life etc. Never was I really drawn to a console, perhaps out of ignorance more than anything else.

Anyhow, last February I purchased a Wii for my wife for her birthday. WE both really really enjoyed playing it, but outside of Wii Sports, we were mainly downloading old classics we both grew up on and/or I was reading old reviews of Game Cube and N64 games that were stellar (Mario 64, Prince of Persia, Zelda Ocrina etc). It seemed that the Wii was lacking in anything I would be really into until I bought RE4. That game blew me away and really sparked my interest in console gaming. Never had I felt such a fluid gaming experience (even with my beloved mouse/kb combo for FPS).

I tried out Zelda Twilight Princess but even that didn't feel as natural as RE4 on the Wii.

My DVD player blew in the summer and we were in need of something new. I had suggested building a media pc but then to my surprise, a bunch of friends and family went in together to get me a PS3 for my birthday!

Though again, the current gen games are lacking (until next week anyway) the awesome library of PS1 and 2 games along with BlueRay, SACD, WiFi, Media streaming etc makes this a wonderful media pc. Just what I wanted, more poweful than I could have afforded if built by myself and it plays games!

If I had to choose, based on the all around utility, PS3 hands down. I have never been interested in the Xbox or its library of games, but I figure the Xbox 360 has much the same capabilities as the PS3, though one has to fork out the cash for all the goodies and that measn a lot of space compared with the PS3.

The Wii, though not as glamours with the effects, definitely makes up with it in "fun" gameplay. With Mario Galaxy getting released next week, I'm certain that this game may reign as my favourite "next gen" game of 2006-2007, and gosh, it may end up being the best regardless of the year.

So for me:
PS3>Wii>Xbox.

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #109 of 149
Halo 3 isn't on Wii or PS.

I'm sorry, I know it's awfully fanboyish but given the fact i game 3 hours a weeks if lucky, H3 really lets me have fun all the way through. Live is amazing.

Nov 7, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #110 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Halo 3 isn't on Wii or PS.

I'm sorry, I know it's awfully fanboyish but given the fact i game 3 hours a weeks if lucky, H3 really lets me have fun all the way through. Live is amazing.

No doubt, if the Halo series is where it is at for someone then Xbox(360) is it for them. I have friends who bought a 360 just to play Halo 3 and will likely never play anything else.

Nov 8, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #111 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No doubt, if the Halo series is where it is at for someone then Xbox(360) is it for them. I have friends who bought a 360 just to play Halo 3 and will likely never play anything else.

And then there are those who'll take the Wii and wait for Halo3 PC... eta is only a decade
tongue.gif

[size=xx-small]My name is Ed, and I'm a halo2-pc-wait-aholic... I never recovered. I still dream in halo ce halo2 mods.[/size]

Nov 8, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #112 of 149
PS3 = One media orgasm box.

Nov 8, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #113 of 149
Xbox360... it has an actual selection of good games both exclusive and multi-platform plenty of "system sellers"

i'll get a Wii next because it's nintendo and nintendo console is required for mario, zelda (not counting those horrifying CDi games), metroid....

i'm still waiting for PS3 to get at least one system selling game before i seriously consider buying one

of course sony still gets some current gen love from me on the handheld side... i went PSP first (probably get a DS next month)

Nov 8, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #114 of 149
God of War III may be the bigger seller for PS3 or the next game from Team ICO (whenever that is released). For now though, unless one is all over the Ratchet and Clank series (I'm not) I've yet to find a true "system seller" for PS3. Assassin't Creed, had it been PS3 only may have been big enough to get them off the shelves. No idea how the game will play out, we'll find out next week I suppose but I think it is available on the 360 and maybe PC as well?

Nov 9, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #115 of 149
X360 for one reason: Mass Effect.

/thread
wink.gif

Kidding - although I am really, really looking forward to playing it - BioWare has never made a bad game as far as I can recall. I can't stand Halo (playing FPS games on a gamepad is lunacy in my opinion - keyboard and mouse is where its at), and thought Gears of War was only decent, although I've still enjoyed my 360 so far, thanks to Forza 2 and Guitar Hero =)

I actually had a Wii for a few months earlier this year, but ended up selling it because I got bored of it and there were no games coming out in the meanwhile that interested me. Plus, it seemed that Wii sports was the best damn game they had, and it came bundled with the system.

PS3 is "meh" for me - absolutely no games that interest me as of now. I don't need a Blu-ray player either, thanks. Maybe I'll buy the cheapo 40gb model when GT5 finally comes out, but that won't be for awhile anyway.

I'm still a really big PC gamer - always have been. The 360 was actually my first console system since the Sega Genesis way back when. I might buy the Wii again if they come out with some sweet gun games for it - I'm really surprised that they still haven't released a Virtua Cop/House of the Dead style shooter for the system.

Nov 9, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #116 of 149
If I had the money to continue the upgrade cycle for max PC effect, I would stick with PC gaming for a few reasons (FPS/RTS) so far, there is no way I would prefer any analogue stick/console gamepad over a mouse and a keyboard. That said, I'm thrilled with the adventure games I have been missing out on (Zelda/Prince of Persia/Assassin's Creed soon) I'm not sure how well these guys run on a PC (well Zelda doesn't) but I do have a logitech gamepad modeled after the PS2 pad.

I like the PS3 for its SACD playback (I have a handful of SACDs) and the Blueray is a perk though not a used one really, but the for me is the media stuff, streaming, HD, photos etc etc. Oh and I can run linux on it
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #117 of 149
Still waiting for MGS4, GT 5, Tekken6 and FF13. I don't really care about any other games (except for maybe Assasin's Creed). And Street Figther IV depending on what system it's going to come out,

Nov 9, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #119 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
360 is just pwning the other two consoles right now.

But yes the future for consoles is starting to look bleak, looks like its all going back to the PC.

Are you being serious? On both accounts?

Nov 9, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #120 of 149
I had all 5 "next-gen" consoles up to this day, (still in the process of selling the PS3 and DS atm), and I can tell you that the Xbox360 + a future gaming PC are the only things that I care about.

Now, the Wii is an awesome little toy, but the extreme lack of interesting games is ludicrous. The only thing that I'll be missing out on is Super Mario Galaxy, which I'd think is one of the best games of this year probably. Zelda I did not care for, I guess I got bored with the old formula, and the only other game I owned was Resident Evil 4, certainly a great game, but just another port. Super Smash Bros. Brawl has been delayed, and it probably will be once again in the near future. The Wii literally collected dust, and I don't even care that it has Gamecube graphics, as long as the games are great. (The metroid prime series never was interesting to me, so that's just personal preference)

The PS3 had to go for similar reasons. I had Skate. (great great game, but inferior on the PS3, because of framerate issues), Warhawk (not an interesting game to me considering better online alternatives on the Xbox), Heavenly Sh...Sword (quite interesting but not amazing), and Oblivion. Except for the multiplatform games there was nothing compelling on that system, plus MGS4 has been delayed to Q2 2008. I'll be missing the blu-rays though.

The PSP and the DS both I really enjoyed, but I just sold those because I never really played them a lot.

So the Xbox360 stays, due to the incredible amount of amazing upcoming titles and also due to the current library, and I'll add a PC because I want to get a Hellgate/TF2/UT3 playing machine.

The whole notion of a "console war" is ridiculous to me, and the only reason for people to chime in on it is the need to defend their console of choice: "I spent money on it so don't you be dissin' that!" I'm stating the obvious of course.

All 3 consoles are great in what they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back