Xbox 360 vs PS3 vs Wii
Jan 15, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #16 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why did so many people pick wii? I thought a lot of people here are over 20 and everyone over age 13?

<sighs> Are you another person who believes the only people that can possibly play a nintendo system are 8 year olds who like pokemon? I'm 21 and routinely play games such as CS, GOW, BF, AOE and such. Yet I can appreciate the different way the Wii is going. You can't beat it in multiplayer, especially with people who aren't as into gaming (read : family, friends, women
rolleyes.gif
) The 6 titles I've picked up so far are : COD3, Red Steel, Zelda, Excite Truck, Rayman and Marvel : Ultimate Alliance. Seems to me there is a good mix of shooters and party games in the ones I've got. Ninty isn't a kids system, best figure this out now so you can pick one up and enjoy it!

Jan 15, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #17 of 149
Quote:

why did so many people pick wii? I thought a lot of people here are over 20 and everyone over age 13?

NiNtEndO is TeH KidDie!!!11!one!1
rolleyes.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #18 of 149
Quote:

I think the wii is just an excuse for people to get exercise, now that so many people are overweight (more than 50% in american) and obese.

Whatever, fatty.
icon10.gif

Seriously, though, you can't seriously believe that Nintendo would put years of work into making an "exercise machine". That's what DDR's for.

Locally, the PS3 really isn't selling. Before Christmas, nobody could find one...and now they're all sitting in nice, high piles. At the nearest Best Buy there were more PS3s than Xbox 360s! The Wii, though is still always sold out, and it seems like the most interesting next-gen console to me.

Jan 15, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #19 of 149
Quote:

I think the wii is just an excuse for people to get exercise, now that so many people are overweight (more than 50% in american) and obese.

I think you'll make a seriously questionable physician one day.

Someone that wasn't even born when the original NES was released will have a hard time understanding the appeal of the Wii to those that were around to enjoy the 8-bit goodness. Nintendo will always be king.

Jan 15, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #22 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked the PS3 because it has a SACD player!

If I was a gamer, then probably the Wii. It just looks like fun.

This is my thinking, but I also wanted the ability to play BD. I wonder how many people that own HDTVs would prefer a Wii over the others? If you do not have an HDTV, the PS3 is the big loser of this battle. They have very few games that make it high on any respectible gamer's list right now.

I still have one 36 inch analog TV in the guest room that might have a Wii added when they become widely available, but I would want the PS3 for its BD player, SACD, and a little bit of gaming at this point.

Quote:

How is the qulity of SACD playback on that thing.I'm trying to find something i like on that format so i can hear for myself.

It works great in two channel, but I cannot test the multi-channel at this point because you need a receiver with an HDMI input (I am waiting for the Sherwood to come out in August). However, S&V mag did include the following in their recent review:

The PS3 also proved to be a fine player for multichannel SACDs. On "Breathe" from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, the sound quality approached that of my Denon DVD/SACD player — silky-smooth yet detailed, with fluid, low-reaching bass.

Jan 15, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #23 of 149
The Wii if I was short on cash and for Zelda...

The Xbox 360 for my Halo and easy/ultimate online play and capability...

PS3 for the Kingdom Hearts fan in me. Without a new Kingdom Hearts title releasing exclusively for the PS3, there's no point to own one, imo...

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #25 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my thinking, but I also wanted the ability to play BD. I wonder how many people that own HDTVs would prefer a Wii over the others? If you do not have an HDTV, the PS3 is the big loser of this battle. They have very few games that make it high on any respectible gamer's list right now.

I still have one 36 inch analog TV in the guest room that might have a Wii added when they become widely available, but I would want the PS3 for its BD player, SACD, and a little bit of gaming at this point.

The Wii still does widescreen and 480p via component cables, so the HDTV probably would be your preferred set to play it on. To answer your question I bolded, if I did have an HDTV, I would have still bought a Wii, however, I already would have bought a 360 to make use of the hi-def. I dont know whether or not I would prefer the Wii, but the Wii does provide something different in terms of gameplay, control, and multiplayer that you don't necessarily get with the 360. But the 360 does have Xbox Live, which paired with GOW, R6:Vegas, and other games may put it above the Wii. I guess I'll have a better idea where I stand in a couple months when I get a 360.

Jan 15, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #26 of 149
Quote:

its the onyl one i have and the only one that had my interest. anything from microsoft I cant stand (cough windows), and anything sony is a complete rip off with no customer support..but Nintendo always had the gaming thing down..I choose you nintendo Wii!

wish they come out with a pokemon for the Wii, that would be like uber 5-year-old-but-i-will-play!

Jan 15, 2007 at 10:14 AM Post #28 of 149
Quote:

Have you ever played on a Nintendo Wii drunk with a group of friends at a party? There cannot be a better console in the universe for this sort of activity; anything that mixes team play, hand and eye coordination, and alcohol adds up to a load of fun. If you're obsessed about fancy graphics and sobriety, buy a PC.

Super Mario Smash Brawl is going to be killer, just wait... *draws his nunchucks*

-Matt

Jan 15, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #29 of 149
Xbox 360! Gears of War / Rainbow Six Vegas / Lost Planet FTW!

Halo 3 will be here soon enough as well
icon10.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #30 of 149
I have had the wii since the first day it came out here in the UK and I think it is very good but not great or atleast not yet
tongue.gif

Its a lot of fun with friends and being able to download old games from nintendo and sega is very appealing. I would like a hd-dvd playback option and have read online nintendo are working on it but as yet nothing.

I still have my xbox and the xbox 360 is calling me
icon10.gif
but between the Wii and my nintendo DS I dont think I would have the time for much more gaming.

The PS3 doesnt interest me at all due to its price and blue ray drive (betamax anyone)

Also i really liked how the nintendo wifi dongle works for both DS and Wii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back