Xbox 360 or PS3
Jan 2, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #46 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
I think the 360 was rushed to market and the weaknesses are starting to show. I'll be looking forward to the PS3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
I agree

What weaknesses would those be?

Jan 2, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #48 of 75
I'm an early adopter of the 360 and have been pretty pleased with it. I've had one instance of disc read error which was remedied by a restart. I did purchase an extended warranty at the retailer I got it from. It does seem the system was rushed but from what I hear Microsoft has been very good about fixing peoples systems and getting them back out to them quickly. It's a little disconcerting that problems are showing up so quickly but it seems that video game systems are getting more prone to break every generation, mostly due to problems with the disc drive and overheating. The only next gen system I have that has lasted the test of time is the GameCube, however I barely play it.

I'll most likely be picking up the PS3 when it launches, however I don't expect the launch to be without issues.

Jan 2, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #49 of 75
Do you think the problems are that common? I mean noboby is going to go online just to let other people know that their 360's are in perfect working order. If it crashed, or had a disc read error people will go online and complain about it...makes it seem like more of a problem than it really is. Just a theory really, but to me it makes sense because of all the people I know with 360's, no one has had an issue...

Jan 2, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #50 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
I have had zero problems. The 360 comes with a 90 day warranty from Microsoft, you can always choose to add a retailer extended warranty or purchase a 2 year warranty from Microsoft for $59.99, but neither are required.

Got it, would kinda suck if your xbox died after the 90 day period though =( Considering how much the units go for nowadays it would've been better, IMO, for Microsoft to make the 2 year warranty standard with purchase w/o no additional charge.

Jan 2, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #51 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
Do you think the problems are that common? I mean noboby is going to go online just to let other people know that their 360's are in perfect working order. If it crashed, or had a disc read error people will go online and complain about it...makes it seem like more of a problem than it really is. Just a theory really, but to me it makes sense because of all the people I know with 360's, no one has had an issue...

Exactly, a few upset people make a whole lot more noise than thousands of happy people.

Edit: By the way, I'm not insinuating there are no defective 360's, just that the "problems" have been blown out of proportion. I expect much of the same at the PS3 launch.

Jan 3, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #52 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek
It's no accident that all systems in NA launch in Q3-Q4 every year. Launches need big numbers, and Christmas is the only time of year to really expect big numbers.

Much like the PS2, it will launch in Japan in Q1, and Q3-Q4 here.

I don't need it to be "confirmed". It just makes business sense.

Is that why Sony launched the PSP in NA in March?

Jan 3, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #53 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by pspivak
Is that why Sony launched the PSP in NA in March?

Different circumstances.

A) It's a handheld, not a console.

B) Sony did not want a fancy handheld competing with the 360 launch. That would have been suicide.

C) Sony is not losing $100+ on every PSP sold, therefore huge launch numbers are not as crucial. If you are losing mega bucks per console, you need market penetration and a high software/accessory tie in ratio to help pad the bottom line. Obviously, the best time of year to achieve those goals is Christmas in North America.

Jan 3, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #54 of 75
Anything that hasn't been released and won't be for at least a year is all vaporware to me. Chances are, it'll be delayed/pushed back even more past XMas 2006

Jan 3, 2006 at 10:41 AM Post #55 of 75
I bought my XBox 360 on launch day, and it still works perfectly today.

Anyone that thinks the PS3 is not going to have problems and won't be a rushed launch if it launches on it's initial target, is kidding themselves.

We might see a US launch by Holiday season in '06, but there will be a major shortage of games. Japan's launch date is iffy at this point, as rumors of delays fly.

-Ed

Feb 18, 2006 at 9:44 AM Post #57 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
PS3 will cost 500. My brother just got an XBOX 360 today, and its awesome. I also heard the hardware on PS3 won't be as impressive as XBOX 360

You should stop dropping by teamxbox as misinformation there is common.

Feb 18, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #58 of 75
Well I bought my PS2 as soon as it came out in 2001 and mine has a few glitches like it has a hard time playing some of the discs that were first released and also it freezes occasionally during playback, but other than that it has been my gaming workhorse for five years without any problems so I would definitely have to say go for the PS3, plus I don't know if it will make it into production but Sony has showed it in Black, White, and Silver which is a nice departure from their usual boring lineup. However, since the PS3 won;t be out for a while if you need gaming pleasure right now than I would say buy the 360 keep it and enjoy it for a year than upgrade to the PS3 once initial prices have dropped down like usual (I paid $500 for mine at the local toy specialty toy store, Toys N Joys and three months later the price dropped to $250).

Feb 18, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #59 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
PS3 will cost 500. My brother just got an XBOX 360 today, and its awesome. I also heard the hardware on PS3 won't be as impressive as XBOX 360

Heh, i think you done been told wrong my friend. The PS3's hardware humbles anything out, including most peoples' computers. Do we need specifecs? There is no comparison.

Feb 18, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #60 of 75
I'll wait for the PS3. Since I'm not playing much, I only need Final Fantasy and Tekken to be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back