Xbox 360 Headset (Cheap)
Dec 4, 2012 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TheBaconMan

New Head-Fier
I want a wireless headset for my Xbox that let's me hear the game sound and talk to my friends.  My price limit is $80, if there are any surround sound headsets in that price range that would be great.

I want something with a lot of bass and good sound.  The sound doesn't have to be great, just better than my TV audio.  I am trying to stay away from Turtle Beaches but that's all I am seeing.  I hear they are pretty bad.

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 11
Turtle beach soundwise is ok for their price points (I was impressed at how good a $10 pair of TB refurbs sounded) atleast for on-ear.

Your best bet is buying a cheap adapter for normal headsets since it plugs into the controller anyways and get like...:

http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-GameCom-780-Surround-Headset/dp/B006ZS5ATM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1LCFS74UV70C3&coliid=I5O5C8L2ODTD4

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
Turtle beach soundwise is ok for their price points (I was impressed at how good a $10 pair of TB refurbs sounded) atleast for on-ear.

Your best bet is buying a cheap adapter for normal headsets since it plugs into the controller anyways and get like...:

http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-GameCom-780-Surround-Headset/dp/B006ZS5ATM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1LCFS74UV70C3&coliid=I5O5C8L2ODTD4

Thanks.  One more question.  I know it would need a lot of wires if I can do it, but can I hook up a regular headset to my TV?  Not for talking, just game audio.  I am getting V-Moda Crossfade LP2's and I want to know if I could do this.

http://www.amazon.com/Crossfade-Limited-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B005HMBQR2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354671518&sr=8-1&keywords=V-Moda+Crossfade+LP2

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Thanks.  One more question.  I know it would need a lot of wires if I can do it, but can I hook up a regular headset to my TV?  Not for talking, just game audio.  I am getting V-Moda Crossfade LP2's and I want to know if I could do this.

http://www.amazon.com/Crossfade-Limited-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B005HMBQR2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354671518&sr=8-1&keywords=V-Moda+Crossfade+LP2

If you are using the xbox, just pull out the mic cable. If its for normal TV if you have a receiver it might have a 1/4 plug on it so those could plug directly into that (What I do) if not your TV would have an audio plug somewhere and you would just need a 3.5 audio extension cable.

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
  If you are using the xbox, just pull out the mic cable. If its for normal TV if you have a receiver it might have a 1/4 plug on it so those could plug directly into that (What I do) if not your TV would have an audio plug somewhere and you would just need a 3.5 audio extension cable.

Before you replied I found a 3.5 on my TV.  It won't connect though.  I plugged in my headphones and they popped back out.  Any ideas?

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Before you replied I found a 3.5 on my TV.  It won't connect though.  I plugged in my headphones and they popped back out.  Any ideas?

My samsung tv used to do that. You would have to push down on it hard and then its a pain in butt to remove. Whats tv model?

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 11
Samsung T220HD, it's a monitor/TV.  Only need a 21-25" TV so it works for me.  I just got it in, yes it is a pain to remove.  There is some feedback but it is covered by the game sound.  Sounds amazing with my current earphones which don't compare to the ones I'm getting.

Thanks for all the help, just have 2 more questions.

I don't think I can do it, but is there a way to use the headphones I am getting a mic?  The cable has a mic, would a series of adapters work? I know it isn't that simple, but is it possible?

The last thing is a cheap amp, $10-$30.  Just something that will boost bass and mid bass without dropping my sound quality.  

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Samsung T220HD, it's a monitor/TV.  Only need a 21-25" TV so it works for me.  I just got it in, yes it is a pain to remove.  There is some feedback but it is covered by the game sound.  Sounds amazing with my current earphones which don't compare to the ones I'm getting.

Thanks for all the help, just have 2 more questions.

I don't think I can do it, but is there a way to use the headphones I am getting a mic?  The cable has a mic, would a series of adapters work? I know it isn't that simple, but is it possible?

The last thing is a cheap amp, $10-$30.  Just something that will boost bass and mid bass without dropping my sound quality.  

For the V-Moda? the mic is meant for mobile devices as the 3.5 adapter has 3 rings (stereo+mic) I have no idea if an adapter exists to split that connection back to how they are on pc models. Hah, samsung likes making tight plugs then it seems. I used:

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Female-Stereo-Audio-Extension/dp/B0076L23FG/ref=sr_1_25?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354673419&sr=1-25&keywords=3.5+extension+cable

to avoid that hassle... the fiiO E5 or E6 would be  your cheap amp :p

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
For the V-Moda? the mic is meant for mobile devices as the 3.5 adapter has 3 rings (stereo+mic) I have no idea if an adapter exists to split that connection back to how they are on pc models. Hah, samsung likes making tight plugs then it seems. I used:

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Female-Stereo-Audio-Extension/dp/B0076L23FG/ref=sr_1_25?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354673419&sr=1-25&keywords=3.5+extension+cable

to avoid that hassle... the fiiO E5 or E6 would be  your cheap amp :p

Thanks again for all the help!  I'll ask around the forums to see if you can use a regular headset as a mic.

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Thanks again for all the help!  I'll ask around the forums to see if you can use a regular headset as a mic.

Think it should be
"Use a mobile headset as a normal headset" since mobile headsets are the same, just due to space all the bands are on the same jack.

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #11 of 11
Yeah, in case it isn't possible, I found a ghetto way to do it.  Plug the headphones into the TV and set your Xbox to have that chat play through the TV.  Then put a regular Xbox headset over your headphones.  It will only serve a purpose to pick up sound, I probably wouldn't even feel it on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back