XBA-3/ XBA-30 thread.
May 31, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #721 of 1,196
Quote:
Hmm, the Auvio tips still sound better to me for some reason, so I'm just going to go up a size and insert them more shallowly.

I tried the Auvio tips once but it didn't work out for me. Although it makes the XBA 3 sound more airy... it also exaggerates the metallic taint and adds sibilance.

May 31, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #723 of 1,196
Quote:
I tried the Auvio tips once but it didn't work out for me. Although it makes the XBA 3 sound more airy... it also exaggerates the metallic taint and adds sibilance.

I have the XBA-30, which is supposed to have improved upon those areas from other listeners' experiences (who have heard both). Perhaps this makes the Auvio tips less of an issue for me.

May 31, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #724 of 1,196
Quote:

I have the XBA-30, which is supposed to have improved upon those areas from other listeners' experiences (who have heard both). Perhaps this makes the Auvio tips less of an issue for me.

I guess you're right. I haven't tried the Auvio tips on my XBA 3 with the filter mod tho...
Quote:
Just got a pair for 75 dollars.

Shipping from my home town.

Can It get any better? Lol.

That's the best deal I have come across so far, you're very lucky!

May 31, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #725 of 1,196
Just got my XBA-3, I got to say that the highs are really good, they don't sound as metallic as the ones on the XBA-4, the mids sound distant and fuzzy though, and the bass is pretty much none existant, I have settle for the small foam hybrid tips (orange), they sound and feel better than the super small fuschia on the XBA-1 and the panasonic tips on the XBA-4.  These are very source dependent as many have stated already, my B2 sound great out of a Sony amplifier, but no any of the xba flagships.

May 31, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #726 of 1,196
What's the impedance output of your amp? Bass extension was really good coming from my Fii0 E11, <1 output impedance. The higher the Zout the brighter the XBA3 gets.

In addition to that, I had the same impression during the first 5 mins with my XBA3. I was like: "subwoofer my @ss!". But after some brain burn the bass came to life! Weird but that's exactly my experience.

May 31, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #727 of 1,196
Quote:
What's the impedance output of your amp? Bass extension was really good coming from my Fii0 E11, <1 output impedance. The higher the Zout the brighter the XBA3 gets.

In addition to that, I had the same impression during the first 5 mins with my XBA3. I was like: "subwoofer my @ss!". But after some brain burn the bass came to life! Weird but that's exactly my experience.

Don´t know the Zout of the amplifier, it's an old model from a modular home system (circa 1990 or so) but I guess is very high (as any AC amplifier). They sound ok out my laptop and zune hd, but to my ears the xba-1 still sound a little better, the mids are just more upfront the bass is pretty much the same and only in the highs the xba-3 has the upper  hand. My B2 has more bass with a good seal (it's more seal dependant the any of the XBAs). It's a good phone none less, but I expected better.
This is the amplifier I am using, sounds really good with other phones though.

May 31, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #728 of 1,196
Nice! Old skul...

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #729 of 1,196
Quote:
Don´t know the Zout of the amplifier, it's an old model from a modular home system (circa 1990 or so) but I guess is very high (as any AC amplifier). They sound ok out my laptop and zune hd, but to my ears the xba-1 still sound a little better, the mids are just more upfront the bass is pretty much the same and only in the highs the xba-3 has the upper  hand. My B2 has more bass with a good seal (it's more seal dependant the any of the XBAs). It's a good phone none less, but I expected better.
This is the amplifier I am using, sounds really good with other phones though.

Your amp and your laptop have very high impedance, so you XBA-3/4 will sound very bright with no bass.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #730 of 1,196
I'm selling my IEMs, gonna venture into full-sized headphones. Someone give my XBA-30s a new home please.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/664787/fs-sony-xba-30-audio-technica-ckn70-sony-mh1c

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #731 of 1,196
Quote:
I'm selling my IEMs, gonna venture into full-sized headphones. Someone give my XBA-30s a new home please.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/664787/fs-sony-xba-30-audio-technica-ckn70-sony-mh1c

Good deal - either for the xba30 alone or for all three! Someone should jump on this.

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #732 of 1,196
anybody have any experience dealing with sony trying to get a replacement pair?  i took advantage of the best buy clearance sale a while back, and within a couple of weeks the right ear developed a high pitched, electronic buzz whenever there was any treble.  they've already accepted the return and are sending me a new pair free thanks to the 90 day warranty.  just curious what the turnaround is on getting the new pair.

just to add to the "appreciation" thread, they are great for the price that i paid. at least, they were until they developed the buzz.  loved the wide, warm tone.  i still prefer my w4's, but for value, the xba 3's far surpass them

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #734 of 1,196
Quote:
Still waiting for my pair to arrive,

Very excited to see how they will handle some of my Queens of the Stone age .flac's

Well, if you use low impedance source they'll handle it beautifully. 
L3000.gif

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #735 of 1,196
I'm using the headphone amp from my Logitech 3330 speakers with a hifimediy dac.

I wish I knew the specs on the headphone amp that I have, It's actually able to drive all my headphones quite easily and loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back