XBA-3/ XBA-30 thread.
May 3, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #676 of 1,196
How is the XBA-3ip for microphonics when worn over the ear? Also is the cable of decent quality? The reason I am asking is because I had some older Sony headphones and the covering over the cable came off after a couple months and had to be sent back for replacement. It is too bad that the cables are not removable\replaceable.

May 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #677 of 1,196
I've had mine for almost a week and the microphonics to me are hardly there. Worn cable-down, they have a very low interference and worn over the ear it's almost non-existent. The cable is a little more heavy-duty than most stock Sony IEMs. The coating seems thicker and the cable is a semi-flat shape rather than completely round. 

May 3, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #678 of 1,196
Quote:
Just got mine today from best Buy.

They have a laid back sort of mellow sound signature. The big bass is a plus (for me) but I do notice a tiny bit of a metallic tinge on some notes that imparts an artificial sort of sound but nothing too bad for $80 (after tax). Definitely worth the price for use on the go with my iPhone 4S.

I grabbed a pair from Best Buy and noticed the same thing right off. Surely some burn in and perhaps a portable amp will take the edge off?

May 3, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #679 of 1,196
Hi guys!

Can the XBA-30 (to a certain extent) be described as engaging, fun, and musical? Or would that describe the Ortofon E-Q5 better?

May 3, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #680 of 1,196
I ordered them after work, and will get them next week. I am interested in listening to them.
Quote:
I've had mine for almost a week and the microphonics to me are hardly there. Worn cable-down, they have a very low interference and worn over the ear it's almost non-existent. The cable is a little more heavy-duty than most stock Sony IEMs. The coating seems thicker and the cable is a semi-flat shape rather than completely round. 

May 3, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #681 of 1,196
Quote:
I grabbed a pair from Best Buy and noticed the same thing right off. Surely some burn in and perhaps a portable amp will take the edge off?

A warm sounding portable amp might do the trick but I doubt burn in will help. Balanced armatures are rarely, if ever, susceptible to burn in.

May 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #684 of 1,196
For anyone wandering about the isolation on these guys, I'm sitting in my sisters graduation ceremony at Auburn university and with the volume at about 30% from an iPhone I haven't heard a thing in the last hour :)

May 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #685 of 1,196
Hi guys!

Can the XBA-30 (to a certain extent) be described as engaging, fun, and musical? Or would that describe the Ortofon E-Q5 better?

For me they are both very musical & engaging but for different reason. The XBA-3 (not the 30 in my case) have a more laid back signature with good presence in the bass making them great for genre with accent in the lows (EDM, Dub step, Pop, Rock). The EQ5 with their mid centric signature are great for acoustic music and vocal like Jazz or acoustic Rock. The EQ-5 also have more sparkle on top. This is IMO of course.

May 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #686 of 1,196
good iems, very fun.

Just not anything I havent heard before.... so gotta let these go.

May 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #687 of 1,196
Quote:
For me they are both very musical & engaging but for different reason. The XBA-3 (not the 30 in my case) have a more laid back signature with good presence in the bass making them great for genre with accent in the lows (EDM, Dub step, Pop, Rock). The EQ5 with their mid centric signature are great for acoustic music and vocal like Jazz or acoustic Rock. The EQ-5 also have more sparkle on top. This is IMO of course.

Thanks for your feedback! I've been wanting to move away from the typically bright and analytical IEMs that I've had(RE2, ER6i, RE0, B2) after having listened the richer, organic and fuller sound of the RE-400 - without satisfying much of the clarity/detail those IEMs offered.

It's difficult to decide because I've read that both the XBA-3/30 and E-Q5 are transparent, clear and - you've just confirmed it - lively in their own unique ways. Okay then, which of the two has a wider, more exciting soundstage?

As a side note, because of where I live, both IEMs will cost be around $200 - so value for money would be desirable!

May 7, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #688 of 1,196
I've put my brand new XBA-30 on sale on ebay in case any head-fiers in the UK are interested. After a few days I decided that I was happier with the sound of the XBA-40 plus e11 instead.... I found the e11 benefits the sound of the latter but maybe not to such a degree as anticipated so contemplating on the C5 before I return the e11 back to amazon...

May 10, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #689 of 1,196
I got my XBA-3's in a couple of days ago and have been listening to them here at work yesterday and today. Overall I really like them, but I do not like the clip, seems overly complicated and there is no "slide" that helps make the cord a little tighter as the cord goes toward each headphone. I wear my headphones with the cord going over my ears to reduce microphonics and I have gotten used to wearing my IEMS that way. Anyway, without the "slide" the cable does not seem like it would stay over my ears well if I were walking.

May 10, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #690 of 1,196
Quote:
I got my XBA-3's in a couple of days ago and have been listening to them here at work yesterday and today. Overall I really like them, but I do not like the clip, seems overly complicated and there is no "slide" that helps make the cord a little tighter as the cord goes toward each headphone. I wear my headphones with the cord going over my ears to reduce microphonics and I have gotten used to wearing my IEMS that way. Anyway, without the "slide" the cable does not seem like it would stay over my ears well if I were walking.

If the XBA-1 and 4 are an indication, worn them over the ear is pretty difficult and unneeded they sound and fit fine with straight cable down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back