XBA-3/ XBA-30 thread.
Jan 19, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #1,171 of 1,196
Ive us3d the XBA3's with the FiiO X3 a bit.  I agree they sound pretty darned good.  I know Sony has improved on them a lot, according to what ive read.  But I'm quite happy to stick with these for awhile longer.

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #1,172 of 1,196
XBA-3 is  very much V-shaped, metallic sibilance is omnipresent. I don't use an amp, you guys think it will make a difference? I also got XBA-H3 which is a completely different beast, and so far could not find any piece of music that would be more enjoyable with XBA-3. I am curious if XBA-30 sounds better than XBA-3, in particular if XBA-30 is less sibilant...

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #1,173 of 1,196
  XBA-3 is  very much V-shaped, metallic sibilance is omnipresent. I don't use an amp, you guys think it will make a difference? I also got XBA-H3 which is a completely different beast, and so far could not find any piece of music that would be more enjoyable with XBA-3. I am curious if XBA-30 sounds better than XBA-3, in particular if XBA-30 is less sibilant...

Most important with XBA-3/30 is to have source with less than 1 Ohm output impedance to sound correct.

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #1,174 of 1,196
  Does anyone know if it's possible to get replacement noise reduction tips (the one w/the foam ring underneath) for these XBA-3s? I've been using mine for years now and the foam has gotten too flattened out so won't stay under the silicone tip easily anymore. But Sony doesn't seem to sell these particular tips separately anywhere, or at least I haven't been able to find it yet. All I see are replacement hybrid tips which I'm not as fond of. I don't understand why Sony would include these noise reduc tips and not provide replacements for them.

This may be late, but it's available in japan, you can also try you local service center and purchase them as a spare part (not off the shelves), price will be very expensive.

I have about 4-5 sets, I never liked them, I used the SS size normal ones, and I purchased a pack of SS 2 pairs from Japan, never got the chance to use them, had my XBA 3 for over 2 years and still on my first set, also have the EX500, EX600 and EX800ST, that's why I have so many tips. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #1,175 of 1,196
  Most important with XBA-3/30 is to have source with less than 1 Ohm output impedance to sound correct.

I don't know, it still sound V shaped out of an O2.

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #1,176 of 1,196
  I don't know, it still sound V shaped out of an O2.

I found using an amp (FiiO E11, 0.5ohms impedance out), helps it sound more 'dynamic', more controlled and with better details. But the xba-3 is more a musical than a flat/reference/analytical earphone, so you can't really change that 'v-shaped' frequency response without some EQ-ing. I also found that with use (possibly burn-in?), the sibilance and metallic highs became much more tame, but that may also be due to me getting used to the sound sig, but I found that using foam tips (I'm using comply ts-200) helped me instantly in this regard.

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #1,177 of 1,196

I found using an amp (FiiO E11, 0.5ohms impedance out), helps it sound more 'dynamic', more controlled and with better details. But the xba-3 is more a musical than a flat/reference/analytical earphone, so you can't really change that 'v-shaped' frequency response without some EQ-ing. I also found that with use (possibly burn-in?), the sibilance and metallic highs became much more tame, but that may also be due to me getting used to the sound sig, but I found that using foam tips (I'm using comply ts-200) helped me instantly in this regard.

I just don't think "fun headphones" are my thing. My desktop setup is with a HD 600, which while not analytical, is very natural and fairly balanced. This, along with the Westone 3, was just too V shaped for my liking. I have gotten the AT IM02 and it's much more my cup of tea. Now I just wait for someone to buy those off me.

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #1,181 of 1,196
anyone tried xba 3ip is this good?

volume is slightly lower, if you want it louder and better sounding, get the non ip version.

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #1,183 of 1,196
Anyone who has had them a long time, noticed that the metallic shrillness is gone. I'm using this almost after a year and they sound so good, you can hear the vocals in front and the bass at the back, awesome separation.
Something magical happened while in non-use, as I remember I could stand the highs at a point:smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #1,184 of 1,196
Anyone who has had them a long time, noticed that the metallic shrillness is gone. I'm using this almost after a year and they sound so good, you can hear the vocals in front and the bass at the back, awesome separation.
Something magical happened while in non-use, as I remember I could stand the highs at a point:smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

I've had this (XBA 3)  for about 2 and a half years now, looks new upto now and I'm loving it.

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #1,185 of 1,196
Has that 'tin sound' gone from yours 'cause now I'm just loving it. I'm trying to speculate as to how it has become a warmer sounding iem with detail.
Maybe I lost the higher frequency hearing or something.:eyes:
Previously I couldn't wear it no more than maybe 10 mins.
I had xba-3 roughly the same time you bought yours but I haven't used in this past year and have not modified it in anyway too.
:sunglasses:
I've had this (XBA 3)  for about 2 and a half years now, looks new upto now and I'm loving it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back