XB-500s Box? Old Russian Orthos? AKG k530s?
Jul 15, 2011 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Keller1

100+ Head-Fier
So basically i found a local market that sells the xb-500s, I tried them on and they felt amazing. Yet I wasnt quite convinced by the sound. they seem to have the same ammount of bass as my cheap SHP2700s, so i'm suspecting that they're fake. Anyone have a xb-500s box that they know is genuine if so, could you please include a picture? The other variant in the same price range is the AKG-k530s.

So, about the box, the one they came in was pretty close to what i saw in unboxing vids(BTW, the boxes vary from unboxing to unboxing, so it's not really a trustworthy source, that's why I came here. ) Anyways, it was green and the background behind the phones was a carton of steel. The thing that caught my eye though is that it didnt have big "Extra bass" or "Bass series" or anything fancy in big golden letters, it just had a little 'extra bass' in the corner with a green backdrop. Since im not much of a expert with headphones i wanna ask if it's a fake or not and if the k530 would be better?

I also have a very old set of russian orthos around that I havent listened to since I was like 8... i can probably find it if I dig around. What direction should I be heading in here?
I'm looking for is sound that's not very transparent( My current set sounds .... well... hollow, like there's a couple dozen holes there that arent filled with sound.) I hope some of you guys know what I mean by that. Note: I cant recall what the orthos sound like, but I dug up a pic: ​
If needed, only amp I have atm is a fiio e3. I'll be using them with my PC/Laptop/PSP(sometimes)
 ​
 ​

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 7
Transplant the ortho driver into a cheaper body and see how they are.

XB500's are not worth your time and money, they really are only good as a basshead's portable.

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 7
Sony just keeps using different box designs for europe, US, maybe asian markets etc. and even seems to change them after a while etc so that's why there's so many different ones around. Dunno why but that's the case.

This is how mine looks like, I ordered from a popular computer hardware site in my country (Finland) last summer and I also saw the same packages in stores around that time so felt quite confident about it. Been a happy listener ever since and the upgradeitis bug hasn't even struck me yet.

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 7

Thanks for the info. gonna dig them orthos up first though. will keep this updated over the next few days.
Quote:
Sony just keeps using different box designs for europe, US, maybe asian markets etc. and even seems to change them after a while etc so that's why there's so many different ones around. Dunno why but that's the case.

This is how mine looks like, I ordered from a popular computer hardware site in my country (Finland) last summer and I also saw the same packages in stores around that time so felt quite confident about it. Been a happy listener ever since and the upgradeitis bug hasn't even struck me yet.

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 7
post those ortho's up in the ortho thread that would be interesting to see those, but I assume you knew that most likely . I'm curious.

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Update: found them orthos, they're labled as " Електроника ТДС-5М. I dont have a 6.35 to 3.5 tho, gonna go get one tommorow cause now pretty much everything is closed. On another note, they seem to be missing the earpads, any suggesstions on how to make them? the way they are attached seems to be via glue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back