X5 w/FLAC Destroys Lame MP3!!
Nov 2, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #31 of 45
I find it amusing that some people are saying that he isn't hearing what he seems to be hearing. If he likes FLAC more than MP3, how can any of us tell him that he's wrong? If he likes it more, he likes it more...bottom line. I for one can tell a difference between FLAC & MP3, but only with certain music. There is more warmth and inner detail that FLAC reveals for me with my Shure E4's & X5. I know I can tell a difference. So I beleive him if he can tell a difference.

Even if I didn't, who cares? If he likes it more, great! Do all your music on FLAC... But don't hammer this guy just cause he likes FLAC more...man. Personal preference can't be measured.

Nov 3, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
When I loaded my player for the first time, and popped on my E5c's, the music was just so clear and alive, especially the highs!

Compare FLAC to a Q5 or Q6 Ogg Vorbis file on your X5 and tell me if you can tell a difference....especially in the highs.

Nov 3, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by calvinhobs
I find it amusing that some people are saying that he isn't hearing what he seems to be hearing. If he likes FLAC more than MP3, how can any of us tell him that he's wrong? If he likes it more, he likes it more...bottom line. I for one can tell a difference between FLAC & MP3, but only with certain music. There is more warmth and inner detail that FLAC reveals for me with my Shure E4's & X5. I know I can tell a difference. So I beleive him if he can tell a difference.

Even if I didn't, who cares? If he likes it more, great! Do all your music on FLAC... But don't hammer this guy just cause he likes FLAC more...man. Personal preference can't be measured.

Because people have posted saying that they can "fairly easily" tell the difference between FLAC and WAV. And we know that they aren't hearing what they seem to be hearing. So a certain amount of skepticism needs to be applied to one's own hearing, and the best way to confirm whether one is really hearing things is a ABX test with foobar2000. Then one can determine for certain whether they can tell the difference between FLAC and mp3 or not. If they can tell the difference then that's fine; if they can't, then space can be saved with mp3.

Nov 3, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #34 of 45
Shut up and enjoy the music! It's that simple.

Nov 3, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
Shut up and enjoy the music! It's that simple.

uncalled for. Especially when people are trying to have a discussion on a message board. The place wouldn't exist if people just shut up...It may be difficult for people to enjoy the music when the think a format is comprosing the fidelity...

Nov 3, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

I find it amusing that some people are saying that he isn't hearing what he seems to be hearing. If he likes FLAC more than MP3, how can any of us tell him that he's wrong?

Because he might not actually be hearing what he thinks he is hearing, and we'd like him to prove, if only to himself, that he is indeed hearing what he thinks he is hearing before making a claim like "X destroys Y!", since, as mentioned before, this could be misleading and someone could throw away loads of storage space for something that may be nothing.

It kind of irks me when testing could easily be done to prove a claim, and would lend the claim credit when it is done, but the person making the claim just straight out refuses to do it, sticking to things like "I know it does X". The thing is, as mentioned above, the human mind is easy to fool. Just because someone thinks he knows something, doesn't mean it's true. I know that magician was locked in the cabinet, yet he's actually on the balcony over there. I know he didn't have birds in his hat, yet birds are flying into the air. So instead of sticking to what you think you're sure you know, why not prove it and be absolutely sure?

Nov 3, 2005 at 9:30 AM Post #37 of 45
I still believe it's virtually impossible to prove anything by switching back and forth between two files (lossy/lossless). I put on an API encoded album and it sounds great. But the differences are subtle, and the improvement of lossless only becomes evident in a cumulative effect over time generating a more enjoyable listening experience.

On my iPod I have two versions of my most favorite albums, one of which has the acronym 'ALAC' appended to the album title. With a 60GB iPod there's simply plenty of space for the amount of music I have to do this. When I want the complete experience, especially with an external amp the lossless version of albums is the way to go. When I'm plugged directly in to the headphone jack, the API files are often a better choice especially if I need EQ.

BTW, when I sync my nano I simply tell iTunes not to load any files containing the text 'ALAC' in the album title. This prevents the oversized lossless tracks from jamming up the smaller nano capacity where space is at a premium.

Nov 3, 2005 at 9:47 AM Post #38 of 45
Its all subjective

We can offer out own opinion and experiences

But at the end of the day we all have individual pairs of ears
orphsmile.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 1:23 PM Post #39 of 45
I agree, it is all subjective. I also agree that it is hard to tell a difference between FLAC and MP3. In certain instances I can. Those songs that I can tell a difference I enjoy FLAC more than MP3. That's my humble opinion. I'm sure associated equipment makes a difference as well.

At the end of the day we're all different, and if we like something better and it sounds good to us, great! That's the entire point of this hobby isn't it? Especially for those of us here...I believe we just want our music to sound great. So I'm happy that he found something that he thinks sounds better.

Nov 3, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

I agree, it is all subjective. I also agree that it is hard to tell a difference between FLAC and MP3. In certain instances I can. Those songs that I can tell a difference I enjoy FLAC more than MP3. That's my humble opinion. I'm sure associated equipment makes a difference as well.

At the end of the day we're all different, and if we like something better and it sounds good to us, great! That's the entire point of this hobby isn't it? Especially for those of us here...I believe we just want our music to sound great. So I'm happy that he found something that he thinks sounds better.

I concur 100% with this entire post. It seems some people dump on people who reject lossy coding just to support their own positions that lossy coding is transparent. And sometimes people who reject lossy coding come off as condescending (I'm sure I am even guilty of this).

There is no conclusive proof one way or another, and ABX testing does not provide such proof. Lossy coding always involves loss of musical information. Whether that matters to an individual listener will remain subjective. So be it!

Nov 3, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
There is no conclusive proof one way or another, and ABX testing does not provide such proof. Lossy coding always involves loss of musical information. Whether that matters to an individual listener will remain subjective. So be it!

I think that abx'ing tries to elminate that. If the listener knows there is loss in the music he/she is listening wouldn't they try to hear that loss in the music. I do understand that at the end of the day it is up to user what choice they make. I also don't think the preachers of abxing want conclusive proof just for the op to justify there claim. If he can hear a difference I want to know how I can hear it to fix faults in my collection.

But I still plan to only use flac for archiving, transcoding to different lossy formats, and ripping cds.

Nov 3, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #42 of 45
Quote:

I have to respectfully disagree with your post. Firstly, ABX testing, while not without it's drawbacks, is the best objective method of testing that we have. If there is an audible difference between two files, surely you should be able to pick it out while listening to them.

The problem is that ALL digital music is lossy. CD audio is a 16 bit 44.1kHz COMPRESSED, LOSSY representation of the original sound. At some point, there must be a level of compression at which the sound is transparent to our limited hearing. The only way to find that point is with some kind of scientific ABX-type test. Otherwise we will never know what level of fidelity we need. Is 16 bit 44.1kHz enough ? Do we need 24 bit 96 kHz (ie DVD audio) ? Is there any improvement in going even higher (32 bit 192kHz maybe) or to some sort of different encoding method (eg SACD) ? Or is LAME MP3 as good as any of them to our limited ears ?

Nov 3, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by davvy
The problem is that ALL digital music is lossy. CD audio is a 16 bit 44.1kHz COMPRESSED, LOSSY representation of the original sound. At some point, there must be a level of compression at which the sound is transparent to our limited hearing. The only way to find that point is with some kind of scientific ABX-type test. Otherwise we will never know what level of fidelity we need. Is 16 bit 44.1kHz enough ? Do we need 24 bit 96 kHz (ie DVD audio) ? Is there any improvement in going even higher (32 bit 192kHz maybe) or to some sort of different encoding method (eg SACD) ? Or is LAME MP3 as good as any of them to our limited ears ?

I agree, and I think that full 16/44.1 is insufficient for full transparency. I have a number of good 96/24 discs which can easily demonstrate this. This is also why I still cherish my vinyl collection. So given that I feel 16/44.1 isn't enough, I certainly have a hard time embracing anything that is even less than that.

But there was a recent article in Stereophile which pointed out some serious flaws in ABX testing. It isn't "proof", in my (and many others') opinion because it is an inherently flawed methodolgy. I will try to see if that article is available online to link to.

Nov 3, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #44 of 45
If you're using the SA5000 then I don't doubt that you can hear differences between the flac and lame mp3. The SA5000 is the most analytical headphone I have ever heard. I didn't quite enjoy the lack of bass but damn does it have detail.

Most of the listening tests A/B results posted on HydrogenAudio are people using bland consumer level gear like computer speakers or cheap headphones, so obviously they won't be able to tell a difference.

I think most people that can't tell a difference don't have the higher end gear and thats fine be happy with it. With my HF-1 I've done A/B tests and I can't tell a difference between flac and V-2 vbr new. Doesn't matter I'll stick with flac because eventually I will upgrade to a external DAC and eventually electrostats; then the advantage of lossless will be much more obvious.

Furthermore do not use foobar to ABX. It's an amazing software player but its ABX plugin is not up to par with a stand alone program. The best program to ABX with is ABC/HR:
http://ff123.net/abchr/abchr.html

Nov 3, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by davvy
I have to respectfully disagree with your post. Firstly, ABX testing, while not without it's drawbacks, is the best objective method of testing that we have. If there is an audible difference between two files, surely you should be able to pick it out while listening to them.

Really? Remember that placebo effects are in fact based on expectations. So, a placebo effect should only be implicated if a person hears differences that he expects to hear. (The perceptual system is complex enough that there are other possible variables here besides placebo effects). But placebo effects work both ways. If we expect to hear no differences between two formats, what does a placebo effect predict, and how does ABX address this? (ABX will not restore differences that a person is not perceiving, even if the differences are real, and the absence of perceived differences is a placebo effect). If you're going to invoke placebo effects in what people report hearing, you also need to deal with their effects on what people report not hearing.

In interpreting data, it is critical to know which inferences you can draw from any experimental design, and what the limits of interpretation of data are. In ABX testing, if a positive difference is detected, you can state with reasonable confidence that the difference is real. But this does not imply the converse. If no difference is detected, that does NOT mean that a real difference wasn't there, or that any difference is so small that it won't matter in personal listening. It simply means that it was not detected on that day in that test situation. A difference might manifest with a different test sample, different switcher, different test instructions, etc. etc. etc. or a difference might take long term familiarity before it became prominent enough to be detected with assurance. There are experimental designs and statistical methods that will allow you to draw inferences about negative results, but these experiments tend to be large and expensive to run.

Getting back on topic, my work system is an iPod driving HE60/HEV70 (Analysis Plus Silver Oval iPod cable). This rig should have adequate resolution to be sensitive to format differences. I had originally loaded the iPod using Apple lossless. However, there was a problem. The iPod filled too fast (even at 60GB), and battery charge time was low. Further, the files were not compatible with Nomad Zen or iRiver HP-140, which I also have. So, I converted everything to 320 kbps mp3. Was there a difference? Actually, I have no idea. The rig sounds good enough to me for the way that I use it, so I'm not particularly interested in paying the price for a sonic improvement in terms of space, charge time, and compatibility. Were I using it at home, for more critical listening, I'd probably be paying more attention to some sort of comparative sonic standard, but since a "better" format didn't meet my real world needs, there was no real point.

I would have a very different perspective if this system were my primary rig and was used for critical listening. In that case, my reaction to differences between lossless and mp3 would probably mirror those of the original poster, if I heard what he did (and I'd take any convenience hits necessary to maximize sound quality). In the end, it really is all personal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back