X5 w/FLAC Destroys Lame MP3!!
Nov 1, 2005 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

cheechoz

Headphoneus Supremus
For the first time, I am encoding in flac. After years as a devoted EAC/Lame lover, I am making the switch. Of course, the only downfall, is that huge file size. I can get 70 CD's on an X5L 30GB, which isn't really that bad, but a big change from the former. When I loaded my player for the first time, and popped on my E5c's, the music was just so clear and alive, especially the highs! To me, a total turn around from MP3's. What other DAP's support the flac format, and have a bigger HD then the X5? I've heard that there's a 60GB version of the X5, but I don't see it anywhere.
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

When I loaded my player for the first time, and popped on my E5c's, the music was just so clear and alive, especially the highs! To me, a total turn around from MP3's.

Do yourself a big favour and do a proper listening test between LAME MP3 and FLAC on your X5. I am almost certain that what you are hearing is placebo. Providing you use LAME APS or better and you have ripped and encoded your tracks properly, you will not here any difference except on a few rare samples which rarely occur in normal music.

It is a pity IMO to use FLAC on portables because it shortens the battery life and you can fit so much less music on.

Nov 1, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by davvy
Do yourself a big favour and do a proper listening test between LAME MP3 and FLAC on your X5. I am certain that what you are hearing is placebo. Providing you use LAME APS or better and you have ripped and encoded your tracks properly, you will not here any difference except on a few rare samples which rarely occur in normal music.

quoted for truth. ABX is your firend..

Nov 1, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 45
Quote:

Do yourself a big favour and do a proper listening test between LAME MP3 and FLAC on your X5. I am certain that what you are hearing is placebo. Providing you use LAME APS or better and you have ripped and encoded your tracks properly, you will not here any difference except on a few rare samples which rarely occur in normal music.

Maybe, even likely, but you're 'certain'? Transparency has never been proven through a mass test I've seen to be reached by all on all equipment at even 320 kbps (let alone -apx, etc.). And I know about the informative, but limited gap filled Hydrogen tests. Then again 'destroys' seems way over the top and I'm not sure the X5s rep is that good.

Also note cheechoz, FLAC isn't the only lossless.

Nov 1, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

It is a pity IMO to use FLAC on portables because it shortens the battery life and you can fit so much less music on.

Without getting into an encoding war, believe me, it's not worth it, Do yourself a big favor, and rethink about what you just said. I have been encoding EAC/Lame in APX to Uberstandard for many years, so I know how to rip properly. When you listen to the same album, over and over again, because you love it so much, you will know every note and detail, that is coming into your ears, but when all of a sudden, you hear crisper highs, and all around better detail, and sounds you never heard before, I'm pretty sure it's the change, and not a placebo!!
600smile.gif

Nov 1, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Without getting into an encoding war, believe me, it's not worth it, Do yourself a big favor, and rethink about what you just said. I have been encoding EAC/Lame in APX to Uberstandard for many years, so I know how to rip properly. When you listen to the same album, over and over again, because you love it so much, you will know every note and detail, that is coming into your ears, but when all of a sudden, you hear crisper highs, and all around better detail, and sounds you never heard before, I'm pretty sure it's the change, and not a placebo!!
600smile.gif

Dude rethink what you just said. I see no reason not to abx. HA has recommend lame 3.97.1b v1 or v2. V1 is better because v2 bloats on some songs. Wouldn't you want to verify your findings? And it is not like abx is difficult to setup...foobar anyone. You can just use your old mp3 rips or rip new ones and compare them. Turn replay gain on so the volumes are matched and test away. It is easy to say I hear this, that, and etc but you are actively but when you know what format your listening to it is easy to spot a difference...

edit: Dosent the x5 play ogg? If you get and h140 with rockbox you should switch your lossless collection to wavpack...

Nov 1, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
600smile.gif

So, is apx instead of aps mp3s? Whats the advantage then?

Nov 1, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #13 of 45
I did my own personal listening test... I could not, under any circumstance, tell the difference between 320cbr lame encoding and flac encodings. In virtually every circumstance I could pick out the ogg's encoded at 200kbs(virtually all of my cd's are encoded at 200kbs ogg). When I get a chance my next test will be with lame 256 vbr.

One point I do want to make... just because you may not be able to pick out the flac doesn't mean it doesn't sound better to the listener. I really believe that the overall experience is better when playing lossless media. When I listen to a song that I know is lossy, I find myself constantly hearing little artifacts which distracts from the listening experience. Just having the piece of mind that the source is perfect makes listening much more enjoyable.

I do admit, the effect is mostly placebo when your talking anything encoded over 256kbs.

Nov 1, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
One point I do want to make... just because you may not be able to pick out the flac doesn't mean it doesn't sound better to the listener. I really believe that the overall experience is better when playing lossless media. When I listen to a song that I know is lossy, I find myself constantly hearing little artifacts which distracts from the listening experience. Just having the piece of mind that the source is perfect makes listening much more enjoyable.

VERY well said. I found the same thing. I would skip over lossy tracks on my iPod and just listen to the lossless ones, even with 320k AAC. I went all lossless and I was MUCH happier. MUCH. Whether I could hear the difference relaibly in an ABX test is completely irrelevant. I was happier.

So if Cheechoz is happier, then he is happier. The idea that he should rethink what he has done because some of you can't hear a difference doesn't make sense, and misses the point of this hobby, which is to enjoy music and have fun. Lossless coding doesn't even cost money!

Nov 1, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
VERY well said. I found the same thing. I would skip over lossy tracks on my iPod and just listen to the lossless ones, even with 320k AAC. I went all lossless and I was MUCH happier. MUCH. Whether I could hear the difference relaibly in an ABX test is completely irrelevant. I was happier.

That's funny, cause I just went in the opposite direction. Had most of my albums in FLAC on my 30GB X5L, but I got sick of not being able to take the majority of my record collection with me. Now it's all in 320kbps LAME mp3s, and honestly I can't tell the difference. Peace of mind is entirely subjective, and since it doesn't matter to me, I'm happy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back