x can v8 appreciation thread
Sep 6, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #227 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by audio.tech /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can I ask you guys a question, how to take the inside case out from x-can v8 and change the tube. Thank you

I get this question quite often so I decided to make some pictures to illustrate how to do it.
It is really very easy.

First you remove this screw (that holds the input/output terminals to the backside) using a standard philips screwdriver.

attachment.php

Then you remove the hex screws from the front (hex key no 3).

attachment.php

Then you can gently pull the front towards you. The print will slide out of the box like a drawer, attached to the front with some wires.

attachment.php

The tubes are now out in the open and you can remove them by pulling them out while gently rocking them. Be careful and use a clean cloth or tissue to grab the tubes.

attachment.php

New tubes can be pushed in in the same way and then you reassemble everything: slide the print back in, fasten the front plate and fasten the terminals on the back.

That's all.

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #231 of 441
Good news! I have received my Musical Fidelity X-can V8P, one of the last ones to obtain here, it seems that the importer can't obtain them anymore.
So I was very lucky to get one, yes, yes!

I hear it is a great improvement, more stereo-image and the treble/'higher' tones are less distorted it seems! So a good improvement and that even on a regarded 'non-highend headphone' as the Senheiser SR120!

I do like the sound better, so I will wait with buying an AKG K702 because the treble is less distorted and the SR120 seems okay in my eyes (and with wireless I can walk around the house in the meantime).

I use the line-option because via USB the sound seems less audiophile (stereo-image seems a tiny less and treble is less sparkling).
I have a MSI X58 Platinum motherbord with a very good realtek chipset, so I can do without a DAC.

But priority nr.1 will be saving money for a litle Pinkie V3i.

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #232 of 441
Ralphies, I have an external DAC that I use with the v8, it noticeably improved the sound quality. If your motherboard has a optical/coax output you should consider one. I would also buy a nice pair of headphones before upgrading the power supply, although the little pinkie will definitely help as well.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #233 of 441
excellent pics Kees, thanks mate

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #234 of 441
been going forth and back about pulling the trigger for X can V8
but hifiman has their ef2 for the half of the price yet the same big happy reviews..
oh..somebody help me.!!

oh..i own MS2i, DT880 2005, HD650, HD414, and AKG K271S

listen to any music's genre but mostly vocal and slow pop...

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #235 of 441
The EF2 is a great amp for the money, but the V8 is far superior IMO. Just take the plunge!! You wont be disappointed at all.

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #236 of 441
I just upgraded my tubes from the ECC-88 to the 6H23's and it made a big difference.

Soundstage is much bigger, deeper more power full bass, and more detail!!

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #237 of 441
That's right! Though 6H23 tubes are cheap compared to Telefunken, Mullard......., the sound is not cheap at all. They are much better than stock tubes
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #238 of 441
I have to say that used V8 is kinda hard to find in market....
><
Anyone want to get rid of this amp please let me know...

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #239 of 441
Hey Guys,

Was wondering where will be a good place to order the tubes for XcanV8?

Anyway, just to share that i used to be the Turn off power when not in use dude. ANd warm up for 2-3 hours before serious listening etc.. But recently have tot about it.. since gonna tube roll why not leave it on and fully ultilise the lifespan of the tubes :p WOW. what a diff. More airy and spaciousness. Smoother and more lush. Music is more music now.. It really has lots of difference.. i have since kept my equipment on standby when not in use. Never turn them off now.

To fully maximise what you get out of the Xcan... 2-3 hours of warm uptime is really not enuf. Its is only starting to sound better. TO sound its best, leave it on or on stand by always! :p

Sorry i may be repeating known knowledge. But really.. never experience it.. never understand it
smily_headphones1.gif
I understand the rationale now and its so enjoyable
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #240 of 441
After buying an MF X-Xan v8 last month I now got a pair of AKG K701s, and I just love the combination. So much, in fact, that I don't miss my speaker-based setup yet!

Both great pieces of kit.

However, my trusty Rega Planet 2000 moved with the speakers, so I'm now on the lookout for a new CDP. What do other X-Can owners use? Any particularly good tips. Looking to spend about £300 s/h, and I'm intrigued about system synergy, so wondering about adding an MF CDP. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back