Wyred4sound µDAC
Dec 16, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #2 of 16
I'm personally holding out for the µDAC-HD model (very similar to the Pico DAC in layout, but can do proper 24/192 output; I'm hoping that this means that it was based off the DAC-2 chip).

I actually shot the company an email yesterday, regarding the release date of it and got a reply within a few hours: all three µDAC models should be available by the end of January, and the µDAC-HD is slated to be released early January.

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 16
I'll have one very soon and I'll ping back with some of my impressions.

Jun 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 16
Mine shipped the other day and I will post a few impressions and a bunch of pictures once it arrives.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #8 of 16
Hey boys and girls. Was considering this µDAC but am worried if the ESS 9023 Sabre DAC that is included in this DAC and the upcoming µDAC-HD (but apparently with higher quality outputs and 24/192 over USB later on this year) is the shunned sibling out of the ESS DAC range and not as highly regarded? Anyone listened and compared to other DACs? Your opinions.

Clint runs the customer service end and information about the Wyred range. Contact him on clint@wyred4sound.com. He seems a great bloke.

Not sure if I should create a new thread or not.......

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 16
uDac HD is cool looking with class A headphone amp, I think. It serves a good purpose and I know someone that heard it, saying it is beautiful. I asked for a uDac for Christmas and It is looking pretty good, though I was going to wait for the HD. I will hook up a clean amp to it, because it is better for me. If I had a job, though, I would save for the NEW w4s mPre pre-amp which would be good for all audiophiles, streamers and headphonies:)  http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/803982

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
uDac HD is cool looking with class A headphone amp, I think. It serves a good purpose and I know someone that heard it, saying it is beautiful. I asked for a uDac for Christmas and It is looking pretty good, though I was going to wait for the HD. I will hook up a clean amp to it, because it is better for me. If I had a job, though, I would save for the NEW w4s mPre pre-amp which would be good for all audiophiles, streamers and headphonies:)  http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/803982

Sounds interesting indeed. Didn't realise the new µDAC-HD would also sport a headphone output stage.

But that mPre looks fantastic for the price. Can we assume the same Sabre DAC as the ones in the DAC-1 and DAC-2?

Oh btw can you also ask for a µDAC for me as well? 
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #11 of 16
Lots of tech stuff to read and compare. As for me, a separate headphone amp with the udac is best because I could use the udac later for my stereo or tv with its optical inputs. The hd only seems to have a usb input. I never looked at dac-1 &2 because I could never afford them. I'm sure you're right about them being Sabre. I'm sure the HD is class A too, which helps it stand out in this market.

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
Lots of tech stuff to read and compare. As for me, a separate headphone amp with the udac is best because I could use the udac later for my stereo or tv with its optical inputs. The hd only seems to have a usb input. I never looked at dac-1 &2 because I could never afford them. I'm sure you're right about them being Sabre. I'm sure the HD is class A too, which helps it stand out in this market.

Yeh the website says mPre has a Sabre based DAC. Output limited to 24/192. 

The µDAC-HD has the 9023 chip and the DAC-1/DAC-2 both have the 9018. Just curious about the mini series (mPre)..anyway, I tend to focus more on what I hear than what I read but I do like to know more about what I am spending good money on. 

Btw if you could then could you please post an impression if you get the chance - I would love to hear them (the µDAC I mean). Thanks beforehand.

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 16
I love posting and promoting, that's why when I saw the mpre I thought I would have a audience here that would agree, as I can't wait for a review and found this by post while looking for reviews. I feel like w4s hasn't given headphone lovers very much until now, and I've always been impressed by their amps. I hope the future gets better for American made headphone products too, as too much junk has been dumped onto the market for me to know what's good

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #14 of 16
Have had mine for six months now as an upgrade from the HRT MS2. It was definitely a very good upgrade. Well built, small just doing it's job. Wyred4sound do have an audition program.

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #15 of 16
I get mine in a week! I got a V-can amp, tons of lossless files and SACD's to start testing it. Supposedly it needs some hours of burn-in, maybe 200. That's not as bad as the 1200 recommended for the AKG k701 that I have, which may be here-say, and I'm only about 200 hours into them after a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back