WWYD - Turntable or DAC?
Aug 9, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #46 of 77

Quote:
I have seen some of these USB tables but think they are missing why you go with a TT to begin with.

There is little point getting a USB turntable if you are just starting out with vinyl, but a lot of people with vinyl might want an easy way to digitise it for use with a portable player or with a media streamer. I digitised mine using a my phono stage and an ADC into my computer but most people don't have access to, or space for, a rack mountable ADC. I bought my dad the NAD preamp with USB for digitising his records from his old TT. Lots of his records aren't available on CD so this was the only way he could get them to play in the places he now listens to music. He seemed happy and the quality is decent enough.

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #47 of 77
If you get yourself a "decent turntable" and then want to record to the computer. Behringer makes an acceptable phono to usb converter. http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UFO202.aspx

I have no doubt that you would get better sound starting with a "decent" turntable rather than a USB one.

for making a cheap entry into vinyl replay, Pioneer made some decent turntables in the late 70' early 80's these are usually cheap at the second hand shops.

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #48 of 77
I don't want a USB model myself.  I was not sure why people would want them for vinyl but I never considered just using them for digitizing.  However, considering some of the models I have seen, I would thik you would be better off getting a good TT and a high quality preamp and ADC. 

Aug 10, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #50 of 77
Quote:
I don't want a USB model myself.  I was not sure why people would want them for vinyl but I never considered just using them for digitizing.  However, considering some of the models I have seen, I would thik you would be better off getting a good TT and a high quality preamp and ADC. 

You are right that generally the quality is much better if you use a good preamp and ADC but there are some USB phono stages that aren't all that bad. People using this site and wanting to digitise their vinyl would probably use that method if they wanted the best quality. If you've already got a good TT and phono stage then adding a ADC isn't too hard or expensive. But If you have a good TT in the garage and want to digitise your vinyl then a phono stage that outputs to USB is a relatively cheap and easy way of doing this.

Quote:
i dont know why anyone would want a USB turntable.

the old saying applies. s$#t in s$#t out.

While I've not seen a good USB turntable yet, I wouldn't be that surprised if a good one came along. The NAD phono stage one I picked up for my dad is better than the phono stage built into most entry and mid-level amps I've heard (both vintage and new). It can't compete with the better designs but it isn't a total piece of junk.

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #51 of 77
Pro-Ject makes a decent USB table...

But for a true vinyl enthusiast, you'd still find better tables (even within the Pro-Ject line) which do not have USB connectivity.

For all the naysayers who don't believe in turntables, I propose a sewing needle connected to a cone made out of construction paper.    You don't even have to "believe" in RIAA correction
etysmile.gif

And for those that don't believe in DACs, may I suggest the Npower Spongebob CD Player:

http://www.amazon.com/Npower-Portable-CD-Player-Spongebob/dp/B002DGX8EO

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #52 of 77
I've not heard the Pro-Ject TT with USB but all the Pro-Ject tables I have heard have been pretty good especially considering the price they sell at. They are probably the best place to start for anyone looking at turntables who doesn't want to go second hand (or doesn't have a mate who can teach them).

Aug 10, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #54 of 77
Hmm, I have heard that some people like the technics 1200, but it is designed for DJ's to "scratch".
For the money a Project would sound lightyears better. IMO.

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #55 of 77
of course get the turntable as it will sound best,
  oh you did,,  congrats,,   180 grams will blow your mind... and if you want to be extra cool,, get some morrison hotel...  

cheers

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #56 of 77

Quote:
Hmm, I have heard that some people like the technics 1200, but it is designed for DJ's to "scratch".
For the money a Project would sound lightyears better. IMO.

I disagree.  The Technics 1200 was the result of trickle-down from engineering on the SP-10 project.  I think they are both good options (Pro-Ject makes some great decks), but to say that the 1200 would be inferior as a blanket statement isn't really rooted in anything but audio superstition.

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #57 of 77
If we are talking new, for about the same money as a Technics 1200 you could get a Project expression Mk3[size=x-small], or Rega P2, or any number of Thorens and a well matched decent cartridge.[/size]
[size=x-small]If talking second hand, the same applies.[/size]

[size=x-small]I never said the Technics wasn't a good deck - for its intended purpose.[/size]
[size=x-small]I just said, in my opinion, I would go for one of the others. [/size]

[size=x-small]Thorens, Rega and Project have been designing and making Hi-Fi  Turntables for years - their intention is to make turntables for the home Hi Fi market, with a sound to match.[/size]
[size=x-small]The Technics is a DJ turntable. Its intended market is DJ's.[/size]
[size=x-small]  [/size]

Aug 12, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #59 of 77
Instead of a USB turntable or having to choose between a turntable or DAC, get a Firestone USB I/O DAC/ADC, which lets you use the tape return on a preamp or a secondary output on your phono stage for digitizing your vinyl. This DAC has surprisingly good sound when combined with their Supplier dedicated PSU, and the ADC brings your records back into your computer.

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #60 of 77

Quote:
Instead of a USB turntable or having to choose between a turntable or DAC, get a Firestone USB I/O DAC/ADC, which lets you use the tape return on a preamp or a secondary output on your phono stage for digitizing your vinyl. This DAC has surprisingly good sound when combined with their Supplier dedicated PSU, and the ADC brings your records back into your computer.

You still have to choose..... if you don't already have a turntable or DAC, and your budget only allows for one or the other......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back