WWYD - Turntable or DAC?
Jul 21, 2010 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

nofuim13

New Head-Fier
Just looking for some input.

Currently have:

FLAC -> Bad Sound Card -> WA6 -> HD650

The weak point in this chain is the sound card and I have finally gotten the chance to fix this.

Thus, I was wanting to change it to:

1. FLAC -> USB Icon HDP DAC -> WA6 -> HD650

But suddenly I was overtaken by the idea of getting some records and a turntable and going for:

2. Vinyl -> Pro-Ject Debut III -> WA6 -> HD650

The rational decision would be to get the Icon DAC since I have large FLAC music collection and at this point no vinyl.

Just curious as to what you guys think.  Go with the rational DAC or the somewhat more "romantic" turntable and use the extra money I would save on some records?  Any experience with the WA6 and vinyl would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 77
There are vinyl lovers here that will say otherwise but I would opt for a nice DAC. It is so much more convenient!

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 77
On thing to bear in mind is noise. Not even vinyl's most enthusiiastic supporters will deny that you do get extra noise with vinyl and listening on headphones really brings this home, for loud or popular music this is not a big deal but for quiet or classical music it is a killer.

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 77
I wonder if you might be tempted by this device.

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/duafire/

Firewire @ 24/96, built in phono preamp, > 4 channels out so you can cue or listen to music and talk on Skype/Teamspeak/Ventrillo etc simultaeously (can use decent mic as well). ASIO drivers if you want to use them.

Just a thought. The money you save on the DAC component (just as good if not better) and a half decent phono pre amp will go a long way towards a TT - especially 2nd hand.

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 77
Vinyl is a religion, and not a cheap one. Not for the feint of heart.

I have both, and would recommend a good DAC for your existing music first.

If you want to put the time into finding records (there are not that many record stores left) or are good a hitting garage sales, and flea markets for your vinyl, think carefully about diving into vinyl.

That being said, if you have the time, money and inclination to persue vinyl, by all means.  You mentioned a great starter table that would do nicely to have a taste of the hobby.  Look around for your vinyl sources though.  Of course there are online sales, but they are more expensive than CDs.  You have to have a method of cleaning the used ones you pick up.  You don't want your beloved, fragile turntable catching anything from a previously owned record.

There is lots of information on the audio asylum and audio karma boards about vintage turntables, and all sorts of systems, cheap to expensive.

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 77
Thanks, this has helped a lot.  Considering my situation, how much do you think a DAC will help with sound quality when used as the source component over a generic sound card?

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 77
Noise? Convenience? Who cares? The real reason you get into vinyl is for the cheap music not available anywhere on digital. A clean, static-free record is quieter than you might expect and dredging a thrift store for discs is one of life's true pleasures. Find something interesting? It'll be about a quarter or two. Take home 20 or more discs for peanuts. Spend a little time cleaning, drop them into fresh sleeves, then chill out with music you won't find anywhere else. Nothing against DACs (I have one), but a turntable is about musical adventure. If that excites you, buy one. You'll love it.

Jul 22, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #8 of 77
I am pretty set on going for Vinyl with the Pro-Ject Debut III. From what I have read this is a pretty decent starting table.  I read somewhere that the line out's are built into the table itself so they can't be swapped out etc.  Is this much of a concern? Also, I am under the impression that I will need to get a phono stage to go into my headphone amp.  What does one look for in a phono stage, esp with the quality of table I'm looking into?

Edit: I have a Denon DRA 545R that was left behind in this house I just moved into, its a pretty old receiver I think.  It has a phono in, would this suffice or be pretty terrible?

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 77
Quote:
Vinyl is a religion, and not a cheap one. Not for the feint of heart.

I have both, and would recommend a good DAC for your existing music first.

If you want to put the time into finding records (there are not that many record stores left) or are good a hitting garage sales, and flea markets for your vinyl, think carefully about diving into vinyl.

That being said, if you have the time, money and inclination to persue vinyl, by all means.  You mentioned a great starter table that would do nicely to have a taste of the hobby.  Look around for your vinyl sources though.  Of course there are online sales, but they are more expensive than CDs.  You have to have a method of cleaning the used ones you pick up.  You don't want your beloved, fragile turntable catching anything from a previously owned record.

There is lots of information on the audio asylum and audio karma boards about vintage turntables, and all sorts of systems, cheap to expensive.

+1

I completely agree with Bones13. I also have recently got into the vinyl game and similarly purchased a Pro-Ject RPM 1.3 turntable.

To be honest with you, I think you should opt for the DAC first before diving into vinyl.

Jul 25, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 77
Quote:
I am pretty set on going for Vinyl with the Pro-Ject Debut III. From what I have read this is a pretty decent starting table.  I read somewhere that the line out's are built into the table itself so they can't be swapped out etc.  Is this much of a concern? Also, I am under the impression that I will need to get a phono stage to go into my headphone amp.  What does one look for in a phono stage, esp with the quality of table I'm looking into?

Edit: I have a Denon DRA 545R that was left behind in this house I just moved into, its a pretty old receiver I think.  It has a phono in, would this suffice or be pretty terrible?

The Debut III is a great starter turntable. It has everything you need and comes already set-up (there are a few very simple bits of assembly to do, but if you buy in a shop they'll talk you through it). It comes in a number of models:
Debut III - standard, just a turntable
Debut III Phono - Built in phono stage
Debut III Phono SB - Built in phono stage and speed controller

You need a phono stage to bring the low level output from the cartridge up to a line level that goes into a pre-amp and to perform equalisation of the signal which is required by vinyl. Do not get a phono stage and plug it into the TT input on an old amp. If it has its own phono stage you can damage your equipment.

The speed box is great if you listen to both 45rpm and 33 1/3 rpm records. It means that you don't have to move the belt to a different pulley to play singles and albums.

Both of these can be bought on their own and added to a basic TT. More boxes and some upgrading, or simpler and just enjoy. It's up to you. It isn't really worth upgrading the Debut III in my opinion, so I'd get the one that suits you best and get another turntable in a couple of years if you really get into vinyl and decide you want more. 

Personally though I'd get the DAC first. Vinyl is great, but where I really find it works best is as a special listening treat. Digital is infinitely more convenient and much less hassle.

Jul 27, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 77
Well, I decided to go with the less rational choice, vinyl.  It has only been two days and I can say: there is nothing convenient about it.  Its expensive, frustrating, and delicate.  But, I literally could not be happier. The sound is simply awesome and I finally feel like I have put the 650's to good use.  I went with a table a bit better than I had originally planned after going to a local hi-fi shop and listening to them.  I purchased a project xpression iii with the phono box ii,  the idea being that I could upgrade the phono stage at a later point. Picked up four records, Pink Floyd: Wish you were here (new), Simon and Garfunkel: Wednesday morning 3am, The Moody Blues: A question of balance, and The Worst of Jefferson Airplane. They all sound unreal.

I of course used all the money I was willing to spend on the table and phono stage and can't afford to get a record cleaning machine or anti-static device at the moment.

The new copy of Wish you were here has so much static.  Is this sometimes common for newly pressed records?  Anyone have any tips on how to discharge static without one of those anti-static guns?  After searching the forums it seems like everyone has a different method for manual cleaning... can anyone point me in the direction of what they believe is the best method without a RCM?

Lastly, I have a quick question.  I was wanting to hook up a pair of speakers as well as running it into the headphone amp.  Whats the best way of going about this?  I have an old receiver sitting around that I could use.

I'll post some pictures soon.  Thanks for all the input.

Jul 29, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 77
A Milty Zero Stat will cure the static energy ...also if you are running AC make sure your relative humidity level (in the apartment or home) stays above 40%. Winter time is even more of a PITA when it comes to static (for obvious reasons) if you live in a climate where snow is a normal occurrence. A good idea for the TT if you have a felt mat on the platter is to switch that with a better type ( like Ring Mat or something similar). The felt is easily charged and will retain that charge as well as being not an ideal interface between the LP and the platter. A nice clamp is also a good extra to have. Have a look at the Sota entry level unit for a really good clamping device.

The Zero Stat will set you back a cool C note but it's the most effective tool for getting rid of static charge build up IME. It's been in use for over 30 years now...Welcome to the vinyl lover's association...it's a PITA and expensive but it's worth the effort
bigsmile_face.gif

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back