WWYD - Turntable or DAC?
Jul 31, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #16 of 77
I've never tried waking myself up with a zero stat gun. Not sure I'm going to try it on my own leg first. Now you've put the idea in my head the next time someone passes out drunk at a flat party it will get plenty of use. The ideal way to get rid of drunks from your home?

They are a great investment for anyone with a vinyl collection though.

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #17 of 77
A cattle prod is more effective for the passed out drunk. The Milty has a good jolt to it but nothing like a cattle prod.
evil_smiley.gif

Peete.

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #18 of 77

Quote:

The new copy of Wish you were here has so much static.  Is this sometimes common for newly pressed records?  Anyone have any tips on how to discharge static without one of those anti-static guns?  After searching the forums it seems like everyone has a different method for manual cleaning... can anyone point me in the direction of what they believe is the best method without a RCM?

Lastly, I have a quick question.  I was wanting to hook up a pair of speakers as well as running it into the headphone amp.  Whats the best way of going about this?  I have an old receiver sitting around that I could use.

I'll post some pictures soon.  Thanks for all the input.

Firstly, a new record should not have any crackles or pops, if it does you should take it back and exchange for another copy. If you are talking about static electricity attracting dust to the record, you could swap to paper sleves rather than plastic which has its pros and cons, and may not solve this issue.

As for manual cleaning - just dont do it to a new record - just yet. (of course use a carbon fiber record brush)
for bad crackly old used records try PVA glue
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2992798

Yes it really does work - I have personally tried it and it works.

For removing the odd fingerprint and dust,  try dishwashing detergent, a new clean fine hair paintbrush, and tap water, give the record a good scrub, and rinse with distilled water and then air dry.

some people use other various mixtures of alcohol, detergent, vinegar. etc. I just do the above.

Vinyl is very tough, as long as there are no scratches, an old dirty record can usually be restored to a listenable standard with washing.

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #19 of 77
Quote:
Firstly, a new record should not have any crackles or pops, if it does you should take it back and exchange for another copy. If you are talking about static electricity attracting dust to the record, you could swap to paper sleves rather than plastic which has its pros and cons, and may not solve this issue.

A brand new record, when it is clean, should not have any crackles or pops - Erin is correct.

However, there are a lot of instances where you may find the record to have excess release agent on it.  This is something that is used to help loosen the record from the stamper when it is manufactured.  It's very important to remove this dust/residue before playback, otherwise the stylus will get dirty and will end up forcing some of this residue into the grooves.  The diamond itself generates a lot of heat during playback, so it's best to use a carbon fiber brush and remove any dirt, dust, contaminants prior to letting your cartridge cruise through it.

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #20 of 77
I clean all of my vinyl purchases, even the new ones.  True, the new ones don't need deep enzymatic cleaning, but they all benefit from a basic record wash (most are water with a small amount of detergent +/- alcohol), followed by a distilled water rinse.

I have seen all sorts of gunk on new pressings, hair, dust etc.  Plus the mold release agent. (that just sounds bad) but I'm sure its just a bit of lubricant to get the record off the mold that it is pressed from.

Dry climates, worsened by forced air heating, can be very problematic for static.  Anti-static devices sell for a reason.

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #21 of 77
Vinyl is nonsense (but often mastered better than its mainstream loudness war counterparts). You'd do better to just record the vinyl so you don't have to use the crappy obsolete turntable. That is, if you have a particular album where the cd release sounds much worse than the vinyl, like Metallica stuff.

DACs are completely negligible, bunch of snake oil and placebo going around these forums.

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #22 of 77
Well you have a analog source vs. a digital one.  I guess it depend on what you are planning on connecting the sources to.
Many have a preference for vinyl and many have moved to digital.  Why do you have to choose, why not have both in your system if you like both mediums?

Aug 6, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #23 of 77
Just by looking at the topic of your thread I was going to come in and say Turntable of course. But then I saw that you have a bad sound card at the moment, so I am going to say fix the weak link in your system first and get that DAC.

Aug 7, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #25 of 77

Quote:
Vinyl is nonsense (but often mastered better than its mainstream loudness war counterparts). You'd do better to just record the vinyl so you don't have to use the crappy obsolete turntable. That is, if you have a particular album where the cd release sounds much worse than the vinyl, like Metallica stuff.

DACs are completely negligible, bunch of snake oil and placebo going around these forums.

Let's see if I have this right - Vinyl is nonsense, and DACs are too.  So I suppose for you music is also useless?

-----------------------------

OP: congrats on your vinyl rig.  I listen to more digital music than vinyl, only due to convenience, but whenever I am able to do so, all of my serious listening time is spent listening to records.  Vinyl is a more enjoyable listening experience for me.  Sounds like it is for you as well.  Enjoy.

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #26 of 77
I have to get a TT and check this out...  I heard a really good vinyl system a few years back and it just blew me away.  It didn't sound like Grandma's vinyl, if anything it sounded as clean as digital but just from a different venue and with more life.

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #27 of 77

Quote:
That sounds like the comments of a very ignorant person.
Totally weird!

If by ignorant you mean I'm not fooling myself into being a dumb placebo addict, then yes I certainly am ignorant.

I look at things with skepticism until proof is provided, and there is no proof that you need a superhax DAC or some obsolete vinyl crap that was abandoned for a reason.

Aug 7, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #28 of 77
Vinyl was not abandoned. And in fact, vinyl sales are growing, while CD sales are declining. THAT is happening for a reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back