www.twistedpearaudio.com (then rant and ramble)
Jul 15, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #16 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry but when you consider the site is called "twistedpear" audio and it crashes "Apple" browsers I thought it was malicious.

LOL I never even thought of it that way!!

that's hilarious in a really sick way
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #17 of 51
Have you tried the new Safari 3.0 beta? I just surfed their website just fine on my MacBook with the new Safari Beta. Although I prefer Firefox for day to day browsing.

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #18 of 51
Quote:

Sorry but when you consider the site is called "twistedpear" audio and it crashes "Apple" browsers I thought it was malicious.

I followed a link because a poster said they sold assembled DACs and it messed with my head.

Anyway I shouldn't have gone off but it did seem relevant to other skulldugery I had been reading about concerning DAC venders, though when I read that now it does sound a bit farfetched and paranoid.

Still much calmer now, sorry if i brung you all down.

They sell assembled DAC boards, you still need to provide your own interface jacks, transformer, and all the wiring in between the boards
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by balou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, not really. In the header, it is stated that the site is using XHTML 1.0 transitional (that's like crappy html with some xhtml-like coding style), but they have managed to include 27 errors on their start page.

Yes really. I never said it validated or was even very good at all (hell they're even using tables for layout), but if you look at the actual markup, they're using a lot of XHTML-isms. It's not as if they simply slapped an XHTML doctype header on a regular HTML 4.01 page.

Jul 15, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #20 of 51
I can vouch for the guys at twisted pear. I bought a darwin source selector kit from them. It didn't work properly when I put it together - which may well have been due to my soldering. When I contacted them about it, without hesitation Brian sent me out a new one, fully assembled and I returned the bad one to him. I offered money, he refused it (after all I bought a kit, he ended up giving me an assembled one). Absolutely exemplary service. If it ever end up making my passive pre active (that was what I got the darwin for) it will be with a kookaburra.

Great to deal with, kits are good and great support.

Fran

Jul 15, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #21 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by labmat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the new Safari 3.0 beta? I just surfed their website just fine on my MacBook with the new Safari Beta. Although I prefer Firefox for day to day browsing.

I'm quite a typical Mac user I suspect. I use Mac's cos I just want to plug it in and it works. I don't have firefox, dont want it. I use plain vanilla OSX everything is as it comes with the exception that I had to install openoffice for those annoying Word and Excel files people send you all the time.

I need my computer to do work and if it isn't mission critical it doesn't go in my Mac. I have never crashed Safari before and I have been using Mac since System 7.2 I didn't start using OSX untill X.3 because until then 9.5 was more usefull.

Jul 15, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sell assembled DAC boards, you still need to provide your own interface jacks, transformer, and all the wiring in between the boards
smily_headphones1.gif

I was interested in twistedpearaudio but I wont jump through hoops just to look at their page.

I'm considering building an Alien now. I really admire the work that has been put into the project, it is truely an example of excellent collaboration.

Jul 16, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #23 of 51
I suspect it's redirect code in the root default page, which either (1) successfully convinces browsers to request the "news" page despite faulty or proprietary means, or (2) crashes the browser due to those means. Most likely they're using canned Frontpage extensions.

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by derevaun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect it's redirect code in the root default page, which either (1) successfully convinces browsers to request the "news" page despite faulty or proprietary means, or (2) crashes the browser due to those means. Most likely they're using canned Frontpage extensions.

Gets to load about half the files then "Spinning Piza of Death"

Does the same to Explorer on the Mac too but I don't think that that is being updated.

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #26 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had no problems on the page using IE 7 ...

IE 7 on what?

I attempted to view the Google cashe, same results there is no view this page as pdf links. It's using some flaky .net stuff that I think only does Windows.

Someone said thet Firefox worked, but didn't say on wich platform.
I saw on another page that they were sold out so I dont think they care if people cant visit their site.

Some of the advice has been a bit bizarre, for example email them, yeah I'll just surf to the site and click the contact link. Ooops how can can I do that.

No suggestions of alternatives either.

Jul 17, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

I'm quite a typical Mac user I suspect. I use Mac's cos I just want to plug it in and it works.

Quote:

I wont jump through hoops just to look at their page.

Quote:

Some of the advice has been a bit bizarre, for example email them, yeah I'll just surf to the site and click the contact link. Ooops how can can I do that.

No suggestions of alternatives either.

Are you seriously still complaining about this? The above quotes suggest to me that maybe DIY is not for you. What are you going to do when a voltage is off, or an opamp is oscillating, or some transistor goes up in smoke? Figuring out how to send these guys an email is comparatively trivial. If you need the help, try looking them up at DIYAudio.com and go from there (this was already suggested by MASantos below from whom, I might add, you can buy an assembled and tested Alien DAC).

Moreover, I understand that poorly done HTML that won't render on your computer is a pain, but when HTML brings your computer down it is a bug in the browser. I suggest you contact Apple.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #28 of 51
Quote:

Someone said thet Firefox worked, but didn't say on wich platform.
I saw on another page that they were sold out so I dont think they care if people cant visit their site.

I'm looking at the site right now with Firefox on a G4 PowerBook. Works fine. You realize Firefox is free, right? It would take you all of 5 minutes to install it and see for yourself.

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #29 of 51
Well, I'll be interested to see how my experience with Twisted Pear goes, I tried emailing them a couple of times and didn't get a reply so last night I just decided to dump down on the products I wanted and see what happens.

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'll be interested to see how my experience with Twisted Pear goes, I tried emailing them a couple of times and didn't get a reply so last night I just decided to dump down on the products I wanted and see what happens.

I ordered a balanced Joshua Tree attenuator kit and all went smoothly and was shipped immediately. No complaints here.

They have their own forum on their homepage and several product related threads at www.diyaudio.com where they might reply quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back