www.twistedpearaudio.com (then rant and ramble)
Jul 17, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicurean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered a balanced Joshua Tree attenuator kit and all went smoothly and was shipped immediately. No complaints here.

I'd very much be interested in hearing about your experience with the JT kit. I've got two on the way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd very much be interested in hearing about your experience with the JT kit. I've got two on the way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Same here, about to pick up a balanced set for the planned beta22....is that what yours is for nate?

Jul 17, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here, about to pick up a balanced set for the planned beta22....is that what yours is for nate?

Yup!
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

haha....nice! I wish I picked up that pack of beta22 parts that you got
frown.gif
tongue.gif

medium.jpg

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #38 of 51
Poo on you! Please post pics as the build progresses if you can, since I think you and I have somewhat similar ideas in mind for the beta22
smily_headphones1.gif
My next project is going to be the TXO speaker amp and then a pair of bookshelf speakers to use them to power with. So all in all, my beta22 project is a long ways away for me
frown.gif
Oh well, guess I'll have to settle for the apache in the mean time
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #39 of 51
You expect me to cry for you and your apache?
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll certainly post progress pics as I get rolling although I expect that this build is going to take quite a while. I hope to have it done by Christmas, seriously.

Jul 17, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #40 of 51
That's the sort of time line I have for my future beta22; though mine is, of course, further out
tongue.gif
I AM building a sigma11 for my squeezebox(s) though, so I apologize for any stupid questions I may or may not fire your way in the near future
smily_headphones1.gif
redface.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, it was a very easy and quite quick build and everything worked fine on first try, but occasionally it will give off a quite loud pop when turning the pot at about half way. I haven't figured out the reason to it yet but it might be that the 5k pot is bad at that range. Others have had problems when using a transformer with insufficient power rating which is probably why they offer a 25VA Avel Lindberg transformer(which I use) for use with the JT.

As for the sound I don't have any pot to compare it to but I can tell you that the balanced CK2III I'm using it with sounds very nice
cool.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

I AM building a sigma11 for my squeezebox(s) though, so I apologize for any stupid questions I may or may not fire your way in the near future
smily_headphones1.gif
redface.gif

Ask away, I only know the answers because I've made the same mistakes!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #44 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you seriously still complaining about this? The above quotes suggest to me that maybe DIY is not for you. What are you going to do when a voltage is off, or an opamp is oscillating, or some transistor goes up in smoke? Figuring out how to send these guys an email is comparatively trivial. If you need the help, try looking them up at DIYAudio.com and go from there (this was already suggested by MASantos below from whom, I might add, you can buy an assembled and tested Alien DAC).

Moreover, I understand that poorly done HTML that won't render on your computer is a pain, but when HTML brings your computer down it is a bug in the browser. I suggest you contact Apple.

Sir, your inference that lack of knowledge of electronics and computer ignorance are related, is not only a Non-Sequitur but borders on Ad hominem.

If I may explain. Standards are there for a reason. I’m sure anyone developing electronic circuits will understand that they are there for the protection of everyone.

The site is rendering non compliant .html code which you suggest should be supported by Apple. Now, exactly which noncompliant code do you suggest Apple should support...

You see that road leads to chaos.

As a potential customer, I am attempting to evaluate whether this companies products will be a suitable interface with my computer. If my only experience of them is a demonstration of the disregard of standards, then the possibility of a blasé attitude toward USB standards also exists. This is of great importance to me because the USB port on my expensive computer is protected by standards, just as surely as it is protected by fuses.

On the other hand I must be careful not to fall victim to the fallacy suggested in the first sentence.

I am aware that MASantos is selling assembled Allien DAC’s even though he did not mention it Several points in his mail lead me to believe that I would not enjoy the customer experience I am looking for. The Allien DAC is a great project, but the choice of R31/R32 is critical. Performance issues exist if IC3 is outside the range of 4.5 - 4.8V. If a problem arose would I be told “It’s no big deal” and not to “Xitch about it” ?

Again I must apologize for my first post, but in mitigation, the title clearly states it is a rant.

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a potential customer, I am attempting to evaluate whether this companies products will be a suitable interface with my computer. If my only experience of them is a demonstration of the disregard of standards, then the possibility of a blasé attitude toward USB standards also exists. This is of great importance to me because the USB port on my expensive computer is protected by standards, just as surely as it is protected by fuses.

Oh brother. A "blasé attitude towards USB standards"? Do you even have any idea what you're talking about? They would use industry standard parts for the USB interface, so you've got nothing to worry about.

Holy crap, get a grip and get over your own opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back