Wrong Choice? (ATH-A700)
Oct 19, 2010 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Gorefiend

New Head-Fier
After having my HD-202's finally break on me I decided it was finally time to upgrade.

Quickly I started researching for something that would be a suitable replacement.
These phones would be used only at home on the PC, with high quality 320kb/FLAC/Lossless audio, gaming, movies.

Quickly in my haste I ended up ordering my ATH-A700's off Amazon for $90.
Most of the reviews I had read leaned towards favorable, or above average.

I figured these would at least sound good enough to replace my 202's without question.

I've had my A700's for almost a month now, and almost everyday I end up doubting my purchase...
What if I had bought some other headphone that day, would I be more satisfied than now?
At that price range I passed up several other viable contenders, including the ATH-M50, and the Grado SR80i.
Would I have been happy with those?

The A700's don't sound bad, they actually sound rather good. I'm just constantly second guessing my choice.
To the point where I can't even enjoy them.  I'm a crazed audiophile, with an immense amount of anxiety.
Not to mention, paranoid.

Should I just stop worrying about making the wrong choice, and enjoy my A700's?

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 11
You could stop worrying about your choise, or you could be like most of the people that post on these forums and start spending an insane amount of money trying out new headphones in search of perfection.  

I started with the AD700 now I have the m50's.  I plan on buying some Fostex t50rp's (Thunderpants in he making)  right now, and after I finish a few cmoy's I'm going to build a mini3 and a tube hybrid.  This hobby is evil I tell you.  Run while you still can, or don't
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 11
What other headphones have you listened to? That's what will validate or invalidate your choice, real-world experiences with various models.

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
After having my HD-202's finally break on me I decided it was finally time to upgrade.

Quickly I started researching for something that would be a suitable replacement.
These phones would be used only at home on the PC, with high quality 320kb/FLAC/Lossless audio, gaming, movies.

Quickly in my haste I ended up ordering my ATH-A700's off Amazon for $90.
Most of the reviews I had read leaned towards favorable, or above average.

I figured these would at least sound good enough to replace my 202's without question.

I've had my A700's for almost a month now, and almost everyday I end up doubting my purchase...
What if I had bought some other headphone that day, would I be more satisfied than now?
At that price range I passed up several other viable contenders, including the ATH-M50, and the Grado SR80i.
Would I have been happy with those?

The A700's don't sound bad, they actually sound rather good. I'm just constantly second guessing my choice.
To the point where I can't even enjoy them.  I'm a crazed audiophile, with an immense amount of anxiety.
Not to mention, paranoid.

Should I just stop worrying about making the wrong choice, and enjoy my A700's?

Yes stop worrying and enjoy your headphone then when you have money to spend and are bored, buy another.  That way you will have an opinion about what your A700 lacks or really what you want to improve on it.

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
Yes stop worrying and enjoy your headphone then when you have money to spend and are bored, buy another.  That way you will have an opinion about what your A700 lacks or really what you want to improve on it.

x2...or x3 or something at this point.  Heh.  You can blow a lot of money buying a bunch of different headphones, and a lot will come down to figuring out what sound you like.  As long as you don't feel like you broke the bank on your purchase, settle in with them for a little while and see what they do for you.  If you start thinking that you're missing something, start researching and asking people about different things that can bring you that sound.  There's a lot out there, and since it's an area where personal preference is really what's important, you can second guess yourself or convince yourself to buy something new just to have something "new" until your wallet goes screaming for a restraint order.  Some people find they want strong mids and vocals...some people find that they want detail and speed...for me it only got easier once I found some folks who had some similar tastes as mine.

Quote:
Still in the process of breaking them in as well.  Hopefully that will give me some peace of mind.

Yeah, depending on what you think about burn-in that may help.  That and really you need to give yourself some time to get used to the sound and presentation so you hopefully know what you're hearing as far as what's there and what's not.  If it helps make you rest any easier, I still have my pair of A700's.  Had them long enough that the stock earpads were practically disintegrating.  I liked them enough that I spent about $100 to replace those earpads with leather earpads, and I have never considered selling my pair.  Sure there are headphones that beat it in plenty of areas and they're not my primary headphone, but in my computer rig they work well for isolation, light music listening, occasional gaming, and they're just fun to listen to without being offensively bad or fatiguing to me.  Now you may have different opinions on them than me, even after getting used to them and settling in, but that's one of the beauties and challenges of this hobby.

Really, until you have a good feeling you know what you want, it is just self defeating and potentially expensive to doubt yourself so soon after a purchase.

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #9 of 11
Really, until you have a good feeling you know what you want, it is just self defeating and potentially expensive to doubt yourself so soon after a purchase.

Great post Equus, you bring up some excellent points.  I also agree with everything you said, especially your last sentence. For now I will just stay positive, and keep expanding on the base that has been set.  Thank you for that.

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #10 of 11
Thanks...though how much is the beer talking (and how much I repeated myself because of that), I'm not sure. 
o2smile.gif

Also, if you have a chance, you can get to a local head-fi meet or something.  Great place to trade info, opinions, and listen to a bunch of stuff.  It's not ideal listening conditions usually, but it can give you a good taste of things.

Oct 20, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
x2...or x3 or something at this point.  Heh.  You can blow a lot of money buying a bunch of different headphones, and a lot will come down to figuring out what sound you like.  As long as you don't feel like you broke the bank on your purchase, settle in with them for a little while and see what they do for you.  If you start thinking that you're missing something, start researching and asking people about different things that can bring you that sound.  There's a lot out there, and since it's an area where personal preference is really what's important, you can second guess yourself or convince yourself to buy something new just to have something "new" until your wallet goes screaming for a restraint order.  Some people find they want strong mids and vocals...some people find that they want detail and speed...for me it only got easier once I found some folks who had some similar tastes as mine.

Yeah, depending on what you think about burn-in that may help.  That and really you need to give yourself some time to get used to the sound and presentation so you hopefully know what you're hearing as far as what's there and what's not.  If it helps make you rest any easier, I still have my pair of A700's.  Had them long enough that the stock earpads were practically disintegrating.  I liked them enough that I spent about $100 to replace those earpads with leather earpads, and I have never considered selling my pair.  Sure there are headphones that beat it in plenty of areas and they're not my primary headphone, but in my computer rig they work well for isolation, light music listening, occasional gaming, and they're just fun to listen to without being offensively bad or fatiguing to me.  Now you may have different opinions on them than me, even after getting used to them and settling in, but that's one of the beauties and challenges of this hobby.

I have a set of these headphones also.
I to, have owned them long enough that the ear pads are completely shot.

I like these phones alot, so I am thinking about replacing them and keeping them.

I am also saving up for a used set of Grados.

I do love my ATH-A700

Users who are viewing this thread

Back