Wow, the RIAA Really Needs to be Stopped
Jan 23, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #31 of 82
I think the RIAA should be trying to stop REAL pirates, ones who burn illegal CD's and sell them, instead of stopping people like me who only download because the price of CD's are so high anyway. They should try negotiate instead.

In New Zealand, CD's are normally around $30NZD when they come out ($20USD) which seems a bit expensive to me.

Edit: I also have a roof-high case filled with CD's, plus heaps scattered around the house.

Edit 2: Most of the time, I download MP3's to see if I like them, and if I do then I buy the whole album.

Jan 23, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #32 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh.. then you and your friends are part of what might be the minority
Seriously, i think right now the statistic is looking a lot more like for every song purchased 10 or so songs are stolen in some way

and yet, rappers continue to gather up bling, cars and ho's as it were. Even with the "stealing" of music that is going on, the record companies are still making an obscene amount of money.

If only there were affordable cd's. Personally, I'm still doing "research" so I can go on a cd buying extravaganza when I begin to make enough money to afford the disgusting price charged by the makers of this music. I don't blame the artists and I willingly pay for their music. I just wish I didn't have to support an industry which alienates its customers by calling them by-in-large, thieves.

Jan 23, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #33 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the original topic: I don't think the RIAA did anything wrong, busting someone for making a profit off mixtapes. It's one thing to hand out mixtapes for promotion use, but to profit off them (without any royalties going to the artists) is in my opinion wrong.

Well if bringing in 30 SWAT members with guns drawn is ok, then ya no problem.

http://www.allhiphop.com/editorial/?ID=337

An article written by DJ Dramas brother about this incident.

And its not like any of the artists on these Mixtapes even care about it, its not hurting them at all its helping them. RIAA just greedy.

Jan 23, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #34 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if bringing in 30 SWAT members with guns drawn is ok, then ya no problem.

http://www.allhiphop.com/editorial/?ID=337

An article written by DJ Dramas brother about this incident.

And its not like any of the artists on these Mixtapes even care about it, its not hurting them at all its helping them. RIAA just greedy.

Sorry I can't take any article that spells America "Ameri-KKK-a" seriously.

Jan 23, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #35 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh.. then you and your friends are part of what might be the minority
Seriously, i think right now the statistic is looking a lot more like for every song purchased 10 or so songs are stolen in some way

In some Asian countries, probably less than 1% buys original cds.. they have bootlegs and a hundreds of mp3s sold in a cd

Instead of asking who's downloading it's probably safer to say who isn't

Man, confusion all around

yet and still they make billions??? Not likely everyone is stealing. The recording industry only dipped down by a very marginal percent. So despite what the RIAA has you thinking, no most people aren't stealing

Jan 23, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #36 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even with the "stealing" of music that is going on, the record companies are still making an obscene amount of money.... If only there were affordable cd's.

Last I checked they have every right to make an obscene amount of money. That does not make theft OK.

Because you don't find a CD affordable does not give you the right to steal music, and thus part of the obscene profits of the recording industry. This is not the Sherwood Forest.

--Chris

Jan 23, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #37 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And artists not being able to make a living from making records - yeah, great.

Ok don't make me laugh, appart from big top ten artists, how much money per album go to an artists? I would gladly buy good quality encoded .WAV album straight from an artists knowing that this money go straight to the people i love. But paying 25 cents to an artists and distributing the rest of the money to SONY stock holders, i don't believe this help artist making a living at all. BTW i have friends that live out of making music and they got the majority of their money via the government, not from their label wich give them **** per records.

Jan 23, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #38 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last I checked they have every right to make an obscene amount of money. That does not make theft OK.

Because you don't find a CD affordable does not give you the right to steal music, and thus part of the obscene profits of the recording industry. This is not the Sherwood Forest.

--Chris

Well, perhaps it should be. I don't think people who make mediocre music should make more profits than the artists who I choose to support. And for the record, I didn't say that I stole any music. I said that I don't have any particular animosity toward those who do.

Jan 23, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #39 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I'm a 52 year old white male from New Jersey my opinion on whether hip-hop is music or not will carry no weight because most everyone will assume that I'm completely biased against it right from the start I therefore direct your attention to the following article:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=21243

The writer in this case is not white or "old" and is in fact a musician, something most rappers are not.

Now back to the real thread topic.

Seems you can't distinguish rap from hip-hop. They are two different things. Hip-Hop is really a culture that grew out of four elements: DJ, MC, B-Boy, Graffiti. Most hip-hop enthusiast would disregard modern day rap as trash. What I consider Hip-hop is mostly found in the "underground hip-hop" section whereas most stuff in the rap section is junk. In agreeing with the article you referenced, rap does lack musical structure. But then again...rap is precisely what it is by definition: spoken word / lyrical rythym; just one of the elements of hip-hop (MC)...don't make it out to be some thing it was never meant to be in the first place.

Listen to: The Roots, Outkast, Pharcyde, People Under the Stairs, Common, J-Live (to name a few)...and then try to deny Hip-hop as musical expression.

... just my Hip-hop rant...take it or leave it.

As to the article...the RIAA is horrible. Poor starving musicians...oh wait, yeah, poor starving musicians that will probably never be heard while scheisty corporate acts continue to wipe their arses with their fans through the RIAA's actions.

Jan 23, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #41 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by megawzrd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems you can't distinguish rap from hip-hop. They are two different things. Hip-Hop is really a culture that grew out of four elements: DJ, MC, B-Boy, Graffiti. Most hip-hop enthusiast would disregard modern day rap as trash. What I consider Hip-hop is mostly found in the "underground hip-hop" section whereas most stuff in the rap section is junk. In agreeing with the article you referenced, rap does lack musical structure. But then again...rap is precisely what it is by definition: spoken word / lyrical rythym; just one of the elements of hip-hop (MC)...don't make it out to be some thing it was never meant to be in the first place.

Listen to: The Roots, Outkast, Pharcyde, People Under the Stairs, Common, J-Live (to name a few)...and then try to deny Hip-hop as musical expression.

... just my Hip-hop rant...take it or leave it.

RIAA's actions.

I go By The "Rap is Something you do, Hip Hop is Something you Live" Statement

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry I can't take any article that spells America "Ameri-KKK-a" seriously.

Open your eye

Jan 23, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #42 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry but when you buy music you don't own the music. It is rhetoric to say it is "yours."

In effect, when you buy music you are licensing it for personal use (i.e. fair use). In most cases you own the medium upon which it was distributed (CD, file, whatever), but you do NOT get any further rights from that point on unless they are granted by the copyright holder. So yes, you are only leasing the privilege to hear the music, like it or not.

And yes, they have every right to license the hardware or software required to play their material. IT BELONGS TO THEM. Don't like it? Then don't buy it. But you have no right to steal it.

I think there are better models than DRM to protect ownership. But the facts remain the facts.

--Chris

The facts are determined by the lobbying money buying the laws. Corporate control of the consumer as in all industries in the good ole USof A. Held prisoner and swindled out of all but the slimmest of existance for the good of the people. Their cost to profit margins will bury them and the artist. I don't have to have music to stay alive. There are so many outlets for music that I don't have to buy CDs. There is no "medium" worth $20 that limits use. The numbers show it. They blame it on internet theft. No, I don't buy CDs from the thief downloading tera drives of music. The loss is from us that are tired of the game and other mediums to gain access to the music.

The music has to be fed to an amp with an analog signal. So long as this is the interface, a tape deck can record it. Don't matter how much DRM they use. That's why such a push to obsolete the technology. Then all your leased music will have to be leased all over again. Will the dead artist (or their family) get a cent? Can I get credit for my existing lease? No. You have to pay again. I paid $12 for a CD twenty years ago. If they obsolete the format, I have to pay maybe $20 for the DVD (or whatever the next format charge). Yeah, thats fair. If I record my VHS tapes to a current format, that's stealing though.
mad.gif

As to the stealing issue, I agree that the music should be protected and the artist should be paid. The music industry has stolen so many ignorant artist livelihood that the issue is a joke. They are the pot calling the kettle black. They do what they want, charge like a drug company and then cry when the consumer rebels against the practices.

If the music industry is so proud of its product to charge what it does, enjoy it, they can have it. See if they can keep up the lavish lifestyle without the consumer. But of course the govenrnent won't allow that to happen. We need to be entertained lest we become disgruntled to the fleecing. Thats the only thing balancing the industry from getting everything.

As to the OP, I also disagree. They were profitting from the music. They should be legally held accountable. They aren't hobbyists. They are thiefs.

The above rant is my opinion and does not represent anyone. Well, maybe my wife.

Jan 23, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #43 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And that's the attitude that's killing the RIAA. We should own the music and be able to do with it wahtever we like, within reason though. I don't see the harm in ripping my cd and putting it on my iPod. Or making a mix tape for myself and maybe for a freind or two. As long as I'm using it personally and not making any profit then where is that harm? I make mix tapes for my freinds to introduce them to new music. Which in turn leads them to buy it... if they like it. That's very reasonable to me.

Yes, you are leaving out the whole distribute freely or distribue for money part. That's when the RIAA starts caring
wink.gif
. They don't care when you take a CD and rip it to your iPod =b

I'm fairly certain you can sit in your home and modify the music any way you want for kicks, and even let others listen without any legal ramifications. However, start performing on stage with the author's work or start distributing it either on the internet or in person for either free or money, and you're definatly fair game for the RIAA.

Jan 23, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #45 of 82
Eh... ignore the RIAA and use your money to teach them a lesson. We don't have to buy their products. Get a turntable and buy old vinyl. Buy used CDs. Buy directly from artists. Buy a FM tuner and listen to free broadcasts.

That's what I do. The RIAA doesn't get my money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back