Wow, the RIAA Really Needs to be Stopped
Jan 22, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 82
Actually.. There needs to be some force to stop illegal music distribution before music dies
You know in this generation, many people think that downloading music is the ONLY way to get music?

Imagine what will happen in 50 years when this generation is dominant

Jan 22, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 82
Well, there is a whole generation of musics thinking that downloads ARE saving music from corporations, so...
Your point of view is not the only one. I do not even think that what you call "illegal music distribution" is a bad thing. I suppose you are talking about music exchange between users through p2p networks, aren't you? In my country, for example, is still legal if there is no money involved (fake cds distributed by mafias, for example). It is viewed by legislators as a way to guarantee the access to culture.
By the way, in 50 years the music bussiness will be changed for sure but I do not think it will be dead at all. It will be simply different.

Jan 22, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 82
There is no way music will die--record companies may not make as much money, but people will still make good music. Record companies need to adapt or get out of the way.

The mix tape crackdown is just self-destructive. Record lables generally use these mixtapes as a way to promote hip hop, and hopefully the labels will develop any easy royalty system so this form, which is pretty integral to hip hop, can continue.

Jan 22, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually.. There needs to be some force to stop illegal music distribution before music dies
You know in this generation, many people think that downloading music is the ONLY way to get music?

File sharing is not going to kill music. The very notion is pretty naive, I'd say.

For every person who thinks that P2P is the only way to get music, there is another person who uses P2P as a way to discover new music, or as a glorified try-before-you-buy system (yes, I know that even this is illegal by way of capitalism and caveat emptor, so please don't start that argument), or as a medium to distribute his own music to the world.

Do you have any idea how much music I've purchased over the last few years due in large part to discovery through file sharing? The 600-odd albums racked down in my basement would probably be cut down to about a quarter of that. Hell, I wouldn't even be aware of many of my currently favorite artists.

File sharing, and the Internet in general, is a potentially huge benefit to music. It isn't without its negatives, sure, but to say that it's going to "kill" music is utter effing madness.

Jan 22, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 82
I can relate to this as i'm one of those people that uses p2p to 'try' music
But i'm not talking about the now generation, the generation that's coming
Ok, i'm in high school and i'd say for every 10 people, there would be at most 2 people who buys cd regularly, the rest downloads without ever planning to buy CDs
And i go to a private school, draw your own conclusion

If i wasn't a musician and a hi-fidelity music lover (trying to avoid the word audiophile) i'm not sure that i can avoid falling into the 'downloader without ever buying' so easily

Jan 22, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 82
Well, when I was in high school I do not think even 1 in 10 people bought regularly LPs. Most people were recording and copying tapes
smily_headphones1.gif
. I really do not think that all downloaders are potential clients of music. This is not true and never was.
And much more people are buying music today than at the end of the eighties. This is one of the lies of the music recording industry. They want to make us think that sales are falling fast. And this is simply not true... Not yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have any idea how much music I've purchased over the last few years due in large part to discovery through file sharing? The 600-odd albums racked down in my basement would probably be cut down to about a quarter of that. Hell, I wouldn't even be aware of many of my currently favorite artists.

This is so true, it deserves to be quoted. The money milking machines might die, but music itself will never; those who think otherwise are simply victims of corporate conditioning.

Jan 22, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, when I was in high school I do not think even 1 in 10 people bought regularly LPs. Most people were recording and copying tapes
smily_headphones1.gif
. I really do not think that all downloaders are potential clients of music. This is not true and never was.
And much more people are buying music today than at the end of the eighties. This is one of the lies of the music recording industry. They want to make us think that sales are falling fast. And this is simply not true... Not yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Apologies, i never did think of it that way
But end of 80s, i thought that and 90s would be the cd's gloriest days
Damn it, i was fooled by the music recording industries' lies!
eek.gif

Well, at least for me i stand by my last sentence of that post..
If i didn't think of buying music as paying respect to the artist i'd probably download.. especially with the availability of very high quality music on the net

Sorry then, i guess i'm thread crapping huh?
eek.gif

Edit: sorry, i think it might be the brainwashing in action.. but the people that never pays for music in any way..
Surely there should be a consequence to it, no?

Jan 22, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 82
Quote:

Edit: sorry, i think it might be the brainwashing in action.. but the people that never pays for music in any way..
Surely there should be a consequence to it, no?

The real question is will this minority actually impede an artists music making ability?

Jan 22, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #11 of 82
I'm thinking the real question is when this thread will be locked and deleted. Sad we can't discuss music distribution.

Jan 22, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #12 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
File sharing is not going to kill music. The very notion is pretty naive, I'd say.

For every person who thinks that P2P is the only way to get music, there is another person who uses P2P as a way to discover new music, or as a glorified try-before-you-buy system (yes, I know that even this is illegal by way of capitalism and caveat emptor, so please don't start that argument), or as a medium to distribute his own music to the world.

File sharing, and the Internet in general, is a potentially huge benefit to music. It isn't without its negatives, sure, but to say that it's going to "kill" music is utter effing madness.

Period. End of discussion.

I'd also like to add that if the RIAA spent as much time, money, and energy on finding ACTUAL talent to record, people would buy more CD's. Wow, what a concept...

Jan 22, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 82
Quote:

Here's what could happen:

No more big four,

No more manufactured product,

More creative freedom for artists,

Popularity based on quality rather than marketing,

Greater selection of new music,

and a whole load more..... if we make it.
icon10.gif

Jan 22, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #14 of 82
Quote:

For every person who thinks that P2P is the only way to get music, there is another person who uses P2P as a way to discover new music

You may have counted some people twice.
Quote:

You are a rather special person: one who is not a stickler for laws but who is willing to act within the spirit of property ownership and actually buy music that you downloaded and liked.
Quote:

to say that it's going to "kill" music is utter effing madness.

That is true.

Jan 22, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #15 of 82
For all the honest people posting here, I think there are many more dishonest people.

In fact, I'm the only young (20s-30s) person I know who actually still buys music. And I know a lot of people.

The corporations may be wrong, but so are the music "sharers."

--Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back