Wow, speakers are so ridiculously hard to get into...
May 1, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #76 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Just my opinion, of course, but there IS something wrong with not putting your full attention into the music, in my view.

Why not just get a cheap pair of computer speakers and be done with it? If you're not really going to be paying much attention to the sound quality anyway, and just want things that will make noise, why not?

It doesn't take extraordinary skill to appreciate a good sound sytem while doing other things. Furthermore, not everyone has endless hours availble to give their sole attention to music. What's wrong with that? If you believe there "IS something wrong not putting your full attention into the music," I guess you have a problem with car stereos, movie soundtracks, etc?

May 1, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #77 of 84
I second that, I have "cheap" (although 500eur isn t so cheap for me) videologic 5.1 computer speakers I bought a few years ago. I listen to them casually while doing other stuff on the computer or at my desk.
But I also do that while listening at my K1000 and there is no need for my full attention to appreciate the difference. However for that kind of stuff speakers are better (ie nothing on your head) so it s natural to strive for a decent quality speaker setup.
On an unrelated note, what differentiates nearfield monitors from simple bookshelf speakers?

May 1, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #78 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Just my opinion, of course, but there IS something wrong with not putting your full attention into the music, in my view.

Why not just get a cheap pair of computer speakers and be done with it? If you're not really going to be paying much attention to the sound quality anyway, and just want things that will make noise, why not?

On the contrary, I need to be at my desk/console precisely because I am focusing on the music. I'm not listening for fun.

May 1, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #79 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
one HUGE factor to take into consideration... and i don't think it's been mentioned yet... is your ROOM.

room acoustics can often make a bigger difference than speaker selection in affecting the sound of your music. it's also one of the cheapest, simplest and most often overlooked elements of the system.

make sure your room is treated, at the very least with a good area rug and non-reflective wall hangings.

The room is actually almost perfect for this application; It's a rectangular 10X13 room, and I don't have much/if anything to put in it.

May 2, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #81 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by theexec
thx for the suggestions. the swans m-200 look cool, but a bit out of my budget.

I'm also interested in the difference between bookshelf speakers and nearfields

Maybe it was because I didn't listen to the right bookshelf speakers, but the one's I heard from B&W and klipsh were not very impressive. From what I can gather from my audition (although I could be completely wrong) at this pricepoint headphones are a MUCH better bang for your buck.

Jun 9, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #82 of 84
Hi, great thread.

Does anyone have any comparative opinions on the following floorstanding speakers :
Kef iQ5
B&W 603
PSB Image 4T

Any suggestions for a affordable quality amp or A/V receiver would also be welcome. I would ideally like to use them with an A/V receiver which would also allow for good music listening witjout too much sound modification.

Thanks, cheers

Jun 9, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #83 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind
Hi, great thread.

Does anyone have any comparative opinions on the following floorstanding speakers :
Kef iQ5
B&W 603
PSB Image 4T

Any suggestions for a affordable quality amp or A/V receiver would also be welcome. I would ideally like to use them with an A/V receiver which would also allow for good music listening witjout too much sound modification.

Thanks, cheers

I can't help you with the speakers but I've always liked B&Ws but I haven't heards the 603s. If you want an affordable A/V receiver, I like Denon products. I know there are more expensive boutique brands out there but Denon is a good place to start plus they have a huge range of products for any budget. You really can't go wrong as a starting place.

Jun 10, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #84 of 84
Hi felixkrull6

Your advice is sound (sorry I couldnt resist
wink.gif
). You definitely can't go wrong with B&W and Denon, as you say.
I havent heard many reviews or user opinions about the KEF iQ5's, so I was curious how it fares compared to these other well-known and loved speakers.

As far as A/V receivers go, I guess its a matter of choosing whichever Denon, Yamaha or Onkyo fits the budget and has a good 2-channel as well as HT sound.
I dont really know if these stables have a signature sound in the same way the headphones companies do.

Thanks, cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back