Wow, speakers are so ridiculously hard to get into...
Apr 30, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #61 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
For commercial speakers, I still think the best value on the market is the Magnepan MMG. At $550, it's a steal.

A BIG X2.

Really unbelievable sound. Imaging is visceral. I don't want to go overboard but when I sit between these speakers the room disappears, literally.

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #62 of 84
not that you need more recomendations, but heres what i would have to say to all this madness..

in your price range you are best off finding an amp and speaker package deal, which the manufacturer has either made for each other, or paired specifically. you can get much better deals this way. and you dont have to worry about synergy because the company has not only listened to them together and chose specificly, but also done a lot of testing to ensure proper synergy. this is invaluble when compared to what you will be able to do in a high end store for a couple hours...

sleastack mentioned an interesting sounding pair on page 2.

also look into reference monitors, in which the amp is actually built into the speaker, made by the speaker company specifically for that speaker. they dont really offer warm sennheiser sound, but if you get the right ones, they are definitely not fatiguing.

i love my mackie hr624's. they cost 900 at guitar center, or online anywhere, and you can get great used pairs on ebay for 500-600. now that is a deal!

Apr 30, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #64 of 84
Ya know, as lost as I was earlier, now things are really starting to fall into place, and I thank you all for such amazing suggestions =D I have decided that I really do need to listen to these speakers for myself and judge, since I didn't even know planar speakers existed such as the magnepans, and they definitely sound interesting. Please keep the recommendations coming! I enjoy reading every single one of them =D

Apr 30, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #66 of 84
I don't have much to add (own a C320BEE and Epos ELS3...both are great for the money) EXCEPT, please don't spend more than 50 bucks on your speaker cables. Get some Canare 4S11 and be done with it. If you want to spend hundreds of dollars on wire, godspeed....but you don't have to.

Apr 30, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #68 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife
I don't have much to add (own a C320BEE and Epos ELS3...both are great for the money) EXCEPT, please don't spend more than 50 bucks on your speaker cables. Get some Canare 4S11 and be done with it. If you want to spend hundreds of dollars on wire, godspeed....but you don't have to.

Don't worry; I'm a believer in cables, but I'm also a believer in price/performance ratio, something cables don't really give.

May 1, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #69 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
You're going to do dedicated listening in front of your computer desk? If that's the case, why even bother?

... I want to listen to clear music when I'm working and I want a solution other than headphones.

May 1, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #70 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by theexec
... I want to listen to clear music when I'm working and I want a solution other than headphones.

Nothing wrong with nearfield monitoring. Good luck with your search.

May 1, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #72 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
Don't worry; I'm a believer in cables, but I'm also a believer in price/performance ratio, something cables don't really give.

one HUGE factor to take into consideration... and i don't think it's been mentioned yet... is your ROOM.

room acoustics can often make a bigger difference than speaker selection in affecting the sound of your music. it's also one of the cheapest, simplest and most often overlooked elements of the system.

make sure your room is treated, at the very least with a good area rug and non-reflective wall hangings.

May 1, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #74 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Nothing wrong with nearfield monitoring. Good luck with your search.

Just my opinion, of course, but there IS something wrong with not putting your full attention into the music, in my view.

Why not just get a cheap pair of computer speakers and be done with it? If you're not really going to be paying much attention to the sound quality anyway, and just want things that will make noise, why not?

May 1, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #75 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ15k
Well, changing speakers is less expensive than moving i think

You'd be surprised how well my speakers can sound in my bed/work/listening (yeah, there are two rooms in my flat!) room. Just some careful movement of some furniture, well-placed wall hangings, and everything is just fine. It's all a matter of experimentation - it took nearly six months to get the sound I was satisfied with in my room. But, if I can do it, ANYBODY can. Trust me on that one...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back