Wow, speakers are so ridiculously hard to get into...
Apr 25, 2006 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

markot86

500+ Head-Fier
Instead of going for an expensive headphone system, I have opted to possibly go the speaker route; however, man, I thought getting into headphones was difficult! I pretty much spent a good 12 hours today endlessly searching and getting absolutely no where.

Here's the deal: I have about 300-1000 dollars to spend on speakers + amp and I have absolutely no idea where to go from there. None. I am a MAJOR fan of the sennheiser sound (with the 650's being my favorite) Is there any way you all can give me several recommendations between the 300-1000 dollar range?

Apr 25, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 84
For your budget there are quite a few options. KEF IQ5 speakers are really great. As far as a budget amp goes the NADC320BEE is a steal.

Apr 25, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 84
As far as speaker selection goes, my Quad 12L pair sounds very close to the HD-650 (smooth and unfatiguing; can sound too boring or laid-back for those seeking a brighter balance). Avoid pairing these with a warm amp, such as a NAD C-series, and opt for 'faster' amps such as a Rotel or Cyrus. I tried these with the T-amp too and the sound was very very good considering the amp cost.

Cheers!

Apr 25, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 84
You'll love the smooth sound of Ascend Acoustics if you are a Sennheiser fan.

I'm partial the Epos ELS3 and Monitor Audio R Silver sound, it's more like the AKG 701 than pure Senn.

For amps, take a look closely a NAD C320BEE and Cambridge 340A or 540A v2

Apr 25, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 84
You may want to consider a Rega Brio and a pair of Rega speakers. $1000 should be able to get you a nice set-up. The Brio has a warm sound that you might like, and Rega equipment often synergizes well with other Rega equipment.

Apr 25, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 84
av123's new X series is supposed to be really good for a $200 pair of speakers. Pair these with a decent amp, maybe their SP3 for example, and you'd have a good setup for about 700.

Apr 25, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ15k
I m also trying to get into speakers, but I live in france, and people talk a lot about american only brands, any idea what I could look into?

www.bwspeakers.com

I got my speakers from a local high-end audio shop here in Europe Luxembourg.

Apr 25, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
Instead of going for an expensive headphone system, I have opted to possibly go the speaker route; however, man, I thought getting into headphones was difficult! I pretty much spent a good 12 hours today endlessly searching and getting absolutely no where.

Here's the deal: I have about 300-1000 dollars to spend on speakers + amp and I have absolutely no idea where to go from there. None. I am a MAJOR fan of the sennheiser sound (with the 650's being my favorite) Is there any way you all can give me several recommendations between the 300-1000 dollar range?

There's only one good anwer to this question. Find a hifi shop and listen to as many speakers as you can, then go back and listen to the ones you liked again. Choose the ones that you find yourself enjoying the most. Same goes for the amp.

Apr 25, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 84
Quote:

I m also trying to get into speakers, but I live in france, and people talk a lot about american only brands, any idea what I could look into?

From your own backyard, the Triangle Titus is very well reviewed...especially with tube gear, and made in France:

http://www.triangle-fr.com/

Apr 25, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 84
Quote:

Triangle has already been mentioned; also from France: BC Acoustique, Cabasse, Focal/JMLab; or maybe a nice Sonus Faber from Italy? The popular brands from Britain and Germany are just too many to list...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 25, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #13 of 84
Quote:

That's ironic, there are way more audiophile brands in Europe than American.

Apr 25, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #14 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
There's only one good anwer to this question. Find a hifi shop and listen to as many speakers as you can, then go back and listen to the ones you liked again. Choose the ones that you find yourself enjoying the most. Same goes for the amp.

This gentleman knows what he's talking about. I think you'll find that in order to get decent speakers, you will have to shop at the top end of your range, and devote most of the budget to the speakers.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back