Wow, speakers are so ridiculously hard to get into...
Apr 27, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #46 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by warnsey
No one is saying that. You fail to see good sound is all relative. If the original thread poster only had a $100 mini system. Spending 1000k on components is going to produce spound that is better than what he had experienced before.

For the original poster sorry bout all the arguments (some people feel they need to justify there high end kit and cheaper = bad
very_evil_smiley.gif
). Like some advice that has been given i would go and listen to as much as you can and take advantage of return policies. Your ears will tell you what is 'good' in your budget.

Exactly. Somehow people forget that audio quality abides very well to the law of diminishing returns.

Apr 27, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #47 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Will that be a comparatively low powered tube Marantz? If you want something from France, especially Triangle is known to have many models that go well with tube amps, but BC Acoustique also does.

Thanks, but the Marantz is not tube, but a Solid State preamp/amp combination.

Preamp: Model 3250
Amp: Model 170DC

I don't necessary want something for France, I was just thinking that US speakers might be much more expensive here than their European similar quality level counterparts (like Grado headphones
biggrin.gif
).

What about TANNOY speakers? I actually heard a vintage pair of Tannoy speakers with this amp and I loved the sound. Is the current line of Tannoy speakers still... OK?

Apr 27, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #48 of 84
Go for some JM lab chorus or cobalt bookshelves with your marantz, surely cheaper in your country as they are made there..

Im a bit of a Focal fanboy, be warned, but the chorus range is fantasic value for money! And i would expect great synergy with the marantz.

Apr 28, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #49 of 84
I've heard a lot of speakers and for your budget my favorite is the Auzen Blackbox (www.auzen.com). It's a plain-looking speaker, but the sound is amazingly smooth and detailed, and the bass is excellent for a 2-way. It's a new company so they don't have reviews, but I've heard them and rather like them. A 2-way with sub usually sounds better than a 3-way due to phase issues.

Spend any more than this and you only get deeper bass, the sound itself can't be beat at any price IMHO.

Apr 29, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #50 of 84
There is really lots of stuff out there in that price range - don't let anyone tell you that any given speaker, especially unknown boutiques, are better than anything else out there - there is way too much available - the vast majority of people haven't heard everything else and people literally hear things differently. Also different types of systems do things differently and the tradeoffs involved are preference.

With that said start to narrow based on broad catagories - conventional, electrostat, full range etc. Figure that out by research in the strengths of each and figure out what you value most (bass, intimiacy, cohesion, soundstage etc.) then match it to the catagory and start to narrow - room size, source material and upgrade path should also be considered - unless you go through the excercise narrowing as you go it's a real maze... and of course go and listen as much as possible to start to clarify your preferences.

Apr 29, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #51 of 84
My 2 cents:

(I only read to about the middle of the thread, so sorry if I repeat something that was said before)

AFAIU, the OP wants senn sound--deep bass definitely goes with it. You need something with at least 6.5 inch midwoofer. The av123 system posted before IMHO won't cut it for all-purpose listening. This:

http://www.av123.com/products_produc...rs&product=2.1

plus an amp of your choice would do better. Another brands to look into are Ascend Acoustics (look for CBM-340SE), Alegria Audio (Emma bookshelf). Those are internet direct, so you get a 30-day trial period, and (usually) way more bang for the buck compared to purchasing from an audiophile boutique.

P.S.
If you are not averse to the idea of DIY, you will probably get more bang for your buck, and a lot more options. If I was in your position right now, with a $1K budget, I'd spend ~$800 on nice DIY kit (maybe http://www.selahaudio.com/id53.html ) and $200 on amp (to be upgraded later--if I feel it's not sufficient).

Apr 29, 2006 at 9:43 AM Post #52 of 84
I'm working in a similar price range I think, and I just built a pair of Modula MT speakers. You can Google that name and they should show up at the top. They sound very nice for the money I put into them - I'm quite happy with the sound. DIY takes a little while, and you'll need to have tools like a drillpress, etc. available to you, but if you have that stuff then you can save a bunch of money and get outstanding bang for your buck. I was fortunate enough to have my roommate's dad allow me use of his shop.

I've been looking for an amp for quite a while, and from a LOT of reading (I don't have links handy), here's some that are worth checking into:

Pioneer Elite A35R:
- People who have heard it say it's a step up from the NAD C320BEE, even though it's much cheaper. It's a mosfet design, so it should have a smooth, almost tube-like sound. Not as much, of course, but leaning in that direction.

NAD C352:
- Seems to be a good all-around performer. A little more expensive, but you can find it used for $300-$400. Improves on the C320BEE - quite popular.

Cambridge Audio 540A / 640A:
- These two units *should* have similar signatures, but the 640A provides a little more power. For most systems in our price range, I think the 540A will be just fine. I'm sort of leaning towards one of these two at the moment, since they tend to be cheaper than the C352, but sound a little better than the Pioneer.

Here's some notes I sort of compiled from user opinions and such:

Rotel RA-01
+ Excellent build; forceful sonic presentation; decent phono stage
- Lacks the finesse and refinement of the best in this group

Cambridge Audio 540A/640A
+ Fine grasp of dynamics and timing; pleasing detail resolution; solid casework
- Control knobs feel cheap but that's about it
+ Perhaps better for rock than the NAD

Marantz PM7200
+ Sweet and seductive midrange; impressive refinement; extensive features
- Slight shortfalls in dynamic punch and drive leave it exposed against the competition
+ Warm, laid back

NAD C352
+ Superlative sound combines finesse and power brilliantly
- Flimsy casework; control feels cheap compared with some at this price
+ More revealing than the Cambridge

NAD C372
+ C352++

I've heard a lot of good things about the older NAD units as well - the C350 and C370, though they're out of production. Hope that helps.

Apr 29, 2006 at 11:01 AM Post #53 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big G
Go for some JM lab chorus or cobalt bookshelves with your marantz, surely cheaper in your country as they are made there..

Im a bit of a Focal fanboy, be warned, but the chorus range is fantasic value for money! And i would expect great synergy with the marantz.

Good idea, actually. With the old Electra series now replaced, he might still find a pair of Electra 906es on sale for some 800 - 1000 Euro here and there... His amp should produce some 100 W per channel, so that should have enough authority to drive the Electras nicely...

My main speakers are a pair of Opal 607s, btw, usually driven by a Marantz PM8000 (in class A mode (~ 2x 25 W) for normal listening, which can be switched off (-> ~ 2x 100 W) for revenging on the neighborhood
biggrin.gif
). The PM7200 mentioned above is the practically identical successor, btw.

greenhorn: How big is your room, btw - and what are your placement options? How about the damping of the room (funiture, carpets, curtains et cetera)? And what kind of sound are you striving for (big sound? very pinpoint, precise sound? ...).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 29, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #54 of 84
DIY is fantastic and different levels are obviously available (some kits such as Madisounds simply involve screwing things together and basic soldering or even crimping).

For more involved kits, one could always have mdf cuts made - even if it's just the baffle with holes by a place like www.SteinAudio.com (no affiliation with any of this).

Increasing, I've become convinced IMHO that before even exploring standard options, it's really worth beginning with the choice between electrostats, conventional systems, and full range options as they are really different sounds.

To use a example from the world of headphone, as different as a Grado may sound from a Senn, a Stax represnts a very different choice and should be condsidred if it's in the price range (I can't think of a headphone counterpart for a full range system).

If you prefer electrostats over conventional systems the choices narrow (e.g. pick a magnepan and perhaps a sub).

Same goes for a full range driver - at a very low scale, think Tivoli model 1 - image that sound on a larger scale - check out the Omegas or Cain Abbeys. Full rangers are basically dirt to make DIY and since cross-overless as easy as it gets.

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #56 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ15k
What kind of speaker is best to have the "fullrange" (around 40-17khz) with only two speakers and no sub?

Maybe not 40hz, BUT plenty of book shelf speakers goes to 50hz. In a smallish room (<13x13ft) with PROPER trial and error speaker placement to reinforce standing low frequency waves you'll get VERY satisfying bass. It will muddy up the lower midrange a little but the bass will be so good you won't care. I lived with my Paradigm studio reference 20's bookshelf for a few years w/o a sub.
icon10.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #57 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
Instead of going for an expensive headphone system, I have opted to possibly go the speaker route; however, man, I thought getting into headphones was difficult! I pretty much spent a good 12 hours today endlessly searching and getting absolutely no where.

Here's the deal: I have about 300-1000 dollars to spend on speakers + amp and I have absolutely no idea where to go from there. None. I am a MAJOR fan of the sennheiser sound (with the 650's being my favorite) Is there any way you all can give me several recommendations between the 300-1000 dollar range?

I can not emphasize enough what a others' have said. YOU just need to go listen to as many speakers as you can and decide for yourself what sounds good to YOUR ears. Even though you prefer the Senn sound you might end up liking another sound signature for speakers. The "slow,too relaxed" sound signature of the Senn's are not your typical high end speaker's desirable traits.

My setup is right around your budget. I have a Paradigm Studio Reference 80 ($1800 new) floor standers dirven by a carver 250w/ch amp ($800 new). I bought both used and speakers are ~$800 and the amp ~$250.

buying used will certainly make your $1k sound like $3k
icon10.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #58 of 84
Thanks everybody for the suggestions concerning my quest...
icon10.gif
I have to say that, after reading mulveling's review on the Tannoy Eyris DC3 (and after havin been mesmerized by the sound of some vintage Tannoys at a friend), I tended to go for these ones, even if they exceed (a lot) the initial budget.

But now I wonder about those JMLabs Electras... I would prefer floorstanders, o anybody familiar with the Electra floorstanders?

The room would be a 40 sq. meters one, no heavy curtains or carpets to talk about... and I am looking for a sound of Grado RS1 type
icon10.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #59 of 84
Those ModulaMT's go down flat to 40Hz in my room. But typical 2-way speakers won't be able to go down this low or this cleanly due to limited excursion. Improved versions of ModulaMT's are commercially available from many different vendors, if you guys are interested and don't want to be cutting wood for 40 hours straight.

To get that Grado sound from speakers, it would have to be rigid metal-coned speakers. It would give more bass, punch, and detail than Grados but more or less sound similar with a somewhat reduced soundstage and a more forward presentation. With the right tweeter one can avoid the brightness of Grados, which I found annoying. Auzen Blackbox, Ellis 1801's, some of the Salk line, Linkwitz Orions, etc... are some examples. I've heard all of them and can easily recommend them.

Apr 30, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #60 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
But now I wonder about those JMLabs Electras... I would prefer floorstanders, o anybody familiar with the Electra floorstanders?

The room would be a 40 sq. meters one, no heavy curtains or carpets to talk about... and I am looking for a sound of Grado RS1 type
icon10.gif

The Electra 926es could well be worth a try, then - but in the end you really need to go out and audition for yourself...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: If you have the opprtunity, I'd also recommend to check the ALR Entry XL and/or Classic 5. Canton-wise you might want to hear the Ergo 607DC, from Elac maybe the FS 208.2... oh, there are so many nice speakers - just like headphones, but the latter are easier to collect.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back