Wow, Its true that people just want bass...
Sep 8, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro Point
They would rather hear and feel 25hz - 60hz bass then even care about the rest of the music.

They should move to Califonia and wait for the next quake.Nothing beats quake bass.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
Your signature ("Bose, Sony, and Nakamichi make fashion and lifestyle products. They are more for aesthetic features and looks over real audio performance for the audio enthusiast... But rather made for the ignorant uneducated rich people that get brainwashed.") also shows that you are unknowledgeable on audio equipment since one of the best dynamic headphones comes from Sony, namely the Sony MDR-R10. Then there's also the Qualia, and some nice not-quite-as-highend headphones like the MDR-SA5000 and my personal favourite the MDR-CD3000, one of the most comfortable headphones out of those cans that I've tried up to now.
tongue.gif

EDIT: Sometimes it's important to let the fanboy out.

I do admit Sony makes some nice headphones BUT my signature was acutally quoting someone from another message board which it referred to home theater speaker setup, Mainly the speakers.

Oh yeah I'm bad...

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
I also do know a few people that prefer bass over anything else. A friend of mine showed me his Bose car stereo, which was very expensive, as he told me, and the only thing that I heard was a very muddy bass that drowned the rest of the music. He obviously enjoyed this.
Even though this seems wrong to me personally, I generally can't see it as a simple matter of right or wrong, but as a matter of taste. The musicgenre itself also plays a huge role in this. I don't see classiclovers enjoying their favourite symphonies over a carstereo with whobbly subs for instance.

I don't think that you were acting snobbish in this thread by the way.

Your signature ("Bose, Sony, and Nakamichi make fashion and lifestyle products. They are more for aesthetic features and looks over real audio performance for the audio enthusiast... But rather made for the ignorant uneducated rich people that get brainwashed.") also shows that you are unknowledgeable on audio equipment since one of the best dynamic headphones comes from Sony, namely the Sony MDR-R10. Then there's also the Qualia, and some nice not-quite-as-highend headphones like the MDR-SA5000 and my personal favourite the MDR-CD3000, one of the most comfortable headphones out of those cans that I've tried up to now.
tongue.gif

EDIT: Sometimes it's important to let the fanboy out.

Nakamichi also made quality reference equipment way back before they were bought out. The Nakamichi OMS-5 was when of the best and first cd players back in the early '80s. I also have their DR-3 tape deck and it's an excellent piece of kit. Can't argue much for Bose, according to my dad their stuff has always sucked a**.

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Nakamichi also made quality reference equipment way back before they were bought out. The Nakamichi OMS-5 was when of the best and first cd players back in the early '80s. I also have their DR-3 tape deck and it's an excellent piece of kit. Can't argue much for Bose, according to my dad their stuff has always sucked a**.

The old Nakamichi was well known for high-quality tape decks but not anymore after they were brought out. I forget who it was that left and the company went bankrupt and some other company brought them back.
lol The person I quoted acutally referred to whats present now. The thread if I rememebered was like an audiophile's point of view on one of Bose's top-end home theater system. Though I do wish to have one of those Sony portable CD players from the 80s. Stuff now just went downhill for some companies.

Sep 8, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro Point
The old Nakamichi was well known for high-quality tape decks but not anymore after they were brought out. I forget who it was that left and the company went bankrupt and some other company brought them back.
lol The person I quoted acutally referred to whats present now. The thread if I rememebered was like an audiophile's point of view on one of Bose's top-end home theater system. Though I do wish to have one of those Sony portable CD players from the 80s. Stuff now just went downhill for some companies.

... What happend to the quote?

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
well i think that kid you talked to was a little different being that he's into rap and is probably into hydrolics and lowering their cars to the ground and having 25 inch rims and bass from the subwoofers that reaches an 8 block radius... a "gangsta" mentality, if you will...

try sitting next to a business professional or a retiree or a nurse and i'm pretty sure they won't just be asking about the bass...

That's one of the most stupid posts I've ever read. Do you have any more stereotypes that you want to add?

Sep 8, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #40 of 48
Yup, the uninformed mainly look for huge bass from "high-end" music since most of the time they don't have any other reference points to compare mids, highs, etc. Bass is also much more easily detected and obvious with high-end systems (It's the most obvious difference, in my eyes, between most headphones). You can't really blame them if they've never heard high end sound before. When these people go to concerts or listen to music in their cars, they usually have 2 aspects high-end sound in mind - Loudness and bass.

When talking about high-end headphones, the general public also assumes that high-end = surround sound. When I was talking to my friend (Who is REALLY into electronics, computers, physics, etc. and knows his way around circuits) about my new STAX earspeakers, the first thing he said was "Woah, cool! Is it 7.1?"

Sep 8, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #41 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
You guys who treat audio laymen as uneducated or lacking taste are funny. I bet you have more headphones than friends
smily_headphones1.gif

--Illah

In fact audio laymen are by definition uneducated and/or lacking taste.
And, wait a second, yes, you are right.
Lots of acquaintances, but only six guys or gals I'd call true friends, and I do currently own eleven headphones.
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #42 of 48
No but 21.1 mW does a nice job with the right earplugs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
But does it have 21.1 gigawatts?

Sep 9, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
In fact audio laymen are by definition uneducated and/or lacking taste.
And, wait a second, yes, you are right.
Lots of acquaintances, but only six guys or gals I'd call true friends, and I do currently own eleven headphones.
wink.gif

Uneducated or lacking taste in respect to audio, though, not necessarily elsewhere.

I believe Illah was complaining about equating audio laymanship to general lack of education, though. Then again, I'm not sure who, other than aluren, was making that kind of claim, though.

I admit I have this idea in my mind that the majority of people with SUPER HUGE BASS car systems listen predominantly to hiphop and other music which has predominant bass to start with. Although I do not think there is any particular reason why non hiphop listeners would be discouraged from SUPER HUGE BASS systems. I doubt anyone has done a statistical analysis of this sort of thing, though.

Sep 9, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #44 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
When talking about high-end headphones, the general public also assumes that high-end = surround sound.

Yeah, that's true. I like a great stereo system rather than a mediocre surround system.

Sep 9, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #45 of 48
For films, I'd actually prefer a decent 5.1 setup to an audiophile 2.1 setup. The surround really helps...and yes, the BASS really helps! My approact to home theater is way different than with music. I have my sub balanced anywhere from 10-15 dB over the speakers because a big explosion or whatever takes on so much more depth with the bass.

It's the closest thing to a shock wave you can get (i.e. if one experienced a real explosion you'd notice the punch in your chest more so than the noise it makes).

I can actually understand both approaches really. With headphones bass is almost pointless as you can't feel it. It's that feeling that people really want. 1000W subs in a car is more for the rumble than the sound.

With headphones the visceral impact is removed, so it becomes more removed and analytical for me. Great for private listening, but even a crappy, resonating, bass-heavy system in a club is way more engaging as far as the 'feel' of the music.

--Illah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back