Wow, Its true that people just want bass...
Sep 6, 2006 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Electro Point

500+ Head-Fier
Here is the story.

Today on my bus ride back from school, There are a couple of new people going to my school that live in my area and are on my bus obviously.

So I was just listening to my portable setup which included the Airhead amp in clear case and using Porta Pros headphones.

This person I have never seen before was like "What is that thing?!?!?!
eek.gif
" He then points to my Airhead amp.
His clothing he wore showed that he seemed to like rap/hiphop music if you stereotyped him from how he appears.

Anyways I was shocked that someone acutally wants to know what it is besides some of my friends.

And I go talking about you wouldn't understand what it is since your not into audio equipment.
So I just plainly answered his question that it was an Ampifiler. He then goes "Oh snap that thing is HOTT, Get the bass pounding damnnnnnn.
basshead.gif
"
I comment back "Nooo!" then start explaining to him in the most basic terms of what it does but hes still extremely clueless to what it is for.
He even asked me where I brought it... I told him an audio shop since he seems to not know anything about audio equipment except subwoofers.

Goes to show you how many people are unknowledgeable on audio equipment, and most of the people that claim to know only think about bass and subwoofers when you say "Audio equipment"

Sep 6, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro Point
Here is the story.

Today on my bus ride back from school, There are a couple of new people going to my school that live in my area and are on my bus obviously.

So I was just listening to my portable setup which included the Airhead amp in clear case and using Porta Pros headphones.

This person I have never seen before was like "What is that thing?!?!?!
eek.gif
" He then points to my Airhead amp.
His clothing he wore showed that he seemed to like rap/hiphop music if you stereotyped him from how he appears.

Anyways I was shocked that someone acutally wants to know what it is besides some of my friends.

And I go talking about you wouldn't understand what it is since your not into audio equipment.
So I just plainly answered his question that it was an Ampifiler. He then goes "Oh snap that thing is HOTT, Get the bass pounding damnnnnnn.
basshead.gif
"
I comment back "Nooo!" then start explaining to him in the most basic terms of what it does but hes still extremely clueless to what it is for.
He even asked me where I brought it... I told him an audio shop since he seems to not know anything about audio equipment except subwoofers.

Goes to show you how many people are unknowledgeable on audio equipment, and most of the people that claim to know only think about bass and subwoofers when you say "Audio equipment"

Yes, your audiophile snobbery is coming along nicely. By the time you graduate college you won't even talk to people who don't have at least $50,000 invested in "audiophilia".

Sep 6, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 48
Quote:

"Oh snap that thing is HOTT, Get the bass pounding damnnnnnn.
basshead.gif
"

Might I point out that Wes Philips of Stereophile was quoted as saying something in a similar vein in a recent review of the AKG K701? Of course his exact words were "Crazy Bass" but I think you get the idea
smily_headphones1.gif
Never pass up the chance to bring someone to the Fuzzy Side, I say!

Sep 6, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 48
well i think that kid you talked to was a little different being that he's into rap and is probably into hydrolics and lowering their cars to the ground and having 25 inch rims and bass from the subwoofers that reaches an 8 block radius... a "gangsta" mentality, if you will...

try sitting next to a business professional or a retiree or a nurse and i'm pretty sure they won't just be asking about the bass...

Sep 6, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo
Yes, your audiophile snobbery is coming along nicely. By the time you graduate college you won't even talk to people who don't have at least $50,000 invested in "audiophilia".

$50,000 on high-end audio equipment? Nah I ain't that crazy.
I do enjoy listening to those $15,000 - $30,000 all tube speaker setups at audio hi-fi shops but I'll sure never own anything like that. Its fine enough with me on what kind of stuff I got now.
Though the upgrades I will buy in the future won't be costing me that much because I don't even have that kind of money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
try sitting next to a business professional or a retiree or a nurse and i'm pretty sure they won't just be asking about the bass...

Yes I know, But my point is majority of the young crowd just cares about loudness and bass.

Sep 6, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 48
Id tend to agree. My sister recently splashed out on a system for her car, and doubled its crappy value, mainly via the gigawatt subwoofer.

Sep 6, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 48
He actually seemed interested in your stuff, why do you feel the need to go on a forum and insult him? I don't know much about cars, and sometimes I'll ask my friends. They don't crap me about it.

Sep 7, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #9 of 48
Bass rocks! I love bass and loudness (dynamics)! everything else sucks!

P.S.
Bose rules!

P.S.S.
You should play nice, he seems interested and willing to learn.

Sep 7, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Id tend to agree. My sister recently splashed out on a system for her car, and doubled its crappy value, mainly via the gigawatt subwoofer.

But does it have 21.1 gigawatts?

Sep 7, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #11 of 48
Nah, but if she had a delorean instead of a honda she might have treated herself to a flux capacitor.
eggosmile.gif

Sep 7, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
P.S.S.
You should play nice, he seems interested and willing to learn.

Don't worry, Its all good.

I acutally taught him as much as I could in 2 minutes about a headphone ampiflier before he had to get off the bus since his stop had arrived.
At first I was like ugh not another one of those people but then probably I could teach him to like real audio and how music is suppost to sound instead of just wanting booming loud bass.

Maybe sometime I should bring this person to Head-fi.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 7, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Yes I know, But my point is majority of the young crowd just cares about loudness and bass.

That's just not true. A lot of kids I know including myself, enjoy ground thumping bass while in cars but at home with speakers and through headphones, prefer a more balanced sound tonality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back