Wow... I will never buy a Hifi-Magazine again
Nov 9, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #16 of 42
I find Stereophile worth subscribing to for their music reviews and letters to the editor.

As for the cabling... I recabled my HD-600 with Cardas and the HD-650 with a Blue Dragon. Still waiting to hear any difference. I do like the cables, though. They're thick, well made and look so much better than the stock ones. I'll keep them for aesthetic reasons.

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #17 of 42
Just got a reply to my email from one of the editors. He is not able to explain the sonic differences between the network or digital cables in general, but they were able to reproduce the result throughout extended tests and blind listening/tests.

I replied and asked if I should get rid of my WIFI at home and should use CAT7 (as CAT7 sounds way better then 6 or 5 in their test) instead, as if there is an audible difference in using different cables, there must be no sound at all using WIFI... damn, I knew I was missing something. I did not hear anything for the last year or more streaming FLAC files from my server through wifi. Must have been "psycho acoustics"
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by smuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I replied and asked if I should get rid of my WIFI at home and should use CAT7 (as CAT7 sounds way better then 6 or 5 in their test) instead, as if there is an audible difference in using different cables, there must be no sound at all using WIFI... damn, I knew I was missing something. I did not hear anything for the last year or more streaming FLAC files from my server through wifi. Must have been "psycho acoustics"
wink.gif

It doesn't matter how you transfer digital data because there won't be any loss of quality at all. For audiophile it's important how you realize digital-analog conversion and transfer analog signal.

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #19 of 42
I think we are on the same page here, but I don't think the editor would agree with you/us on that
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #20 of 42
They did a great review awhile back that confirmed that when I pass gas, the micro-changes in air density cause your cables over there in Germany to vibrate and introduce noise in your system.

Changing your power and interconnect cables to pre-bent solid platinum-iridium alloy bars alleviates the problem.

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by smuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think we are on the same page here, but I don't think the editor would agree with you/us on that
wink.gif

In that case he should go to school and learn phisics once again.
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #22 of 42
Cool, where can I order those?
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #23 of 42
I am also a jitter unbeliever and a cable sceptic. There's so much auditory paranoia in audiophiles. A blind test is the best cure.

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #25 of 42
I can't remember who wrote it, but some clever person showed that even very slight changes in listening position with a regular hi-fi set-up would result in hearing differences in the music. So every time the reviewer sits down to listen to whatever changes he (or she) has made in the system, they are going to hear differences anyway, purely because they wont be sitting in exactly the same position they were before.

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't remember who wrote it, but some clever person showed that even very slight changes in listening position with a regular hi-fi set-up would result in hearing differences in the music. So every time the reviewer sits down to listen to whatever changes he (or she) has made in the system, they are going to hear differences anyway, purely because they wont be sitting in exactly the same position they were before.

It was Ethan Winer

Why We Believe

Dec 5, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chartbreaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesn't matter how you transfer digital data because there won't be any loss of quality at all. For audiophile it's important how you realize digital-analog conversion and transfer analog signal.

This would be true, except there are bad ways to transmit digital data and, unfortunately, S/PDIF is one of them.

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #29 of 42
Dec 5, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Bits is bits," eh? Well, I guess I'll just have to disagree.

My dealer recently offered me a FANTASTIC deal on an audiophile-grade USB cable manufactured from a critical blend of silver, rhodium, gold and platinum with hand-drawn teflon insulation. It was cryoed at -462 degrees Fahrenheit (that's right, two degrees **below** absolute zero) for over six months. And the best part? it was only $5,600.00 for a 3 foot length (or two 3 foot lengths for only $11,995)!

The minute I put it into my system my jaw hit the floor: the difference was NOT subtle. It was as if a veil had been lifted and layers of grunge had been peeled away--almost as if the musicians were actually present in the room!

I like to think of myself as a fairly down-to-earth, sober, sceptical type, though. So I thought I'd hook the new cable up to my computer just to see if it made any difference.

I tried the mouse first. I was struck by how much smoother and more accurate the movements were. They had an almost indescribable elegance to them that the old USB cable simply couldn't match. The fluidity was positively intoxicating.

Connecting the cable to the keyboard, I was immediately struck by how much faster I could type, and how much better the letters looked on the screen. The contrast was improved, and the definition of the serifs was greatly enhanced. But then I noticed my writing was clearer, more articulate, more concise, and had fewer spelling mistakes. I was sold.

I now plan on replacing all my USB cables with "audiophile quality" USB cables. I'm just so glad I have one of those "cost plus" contracts with the Defense Department!

EK

Clever Post, btw.....
jecklinsmile.gif
darthsmile.gif
k701smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
dt880smile.png
beerchug.gif

Where was this thread before it was moved?

USG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back